Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Veho VCC-003-MUVI-BLK MUVI Micro digital action cam for Action Sports, Surveillance and Motorcycling / cycling (Includes 4GB Memory)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on March 25, 2010
This thing is great. I tried the Oregon Scientific ACT3K and the picture quality of the Muvi is far better.

The Veho folks aren't doing us or themselves any favors by shipping it with such a sub-standard memory card though. At first I was slightly disappointed until I put in a 4Gb class 2 MicroSDHC card I had lying around. What an improvement. I've got a couple 8Gb class 6 cards on the way so I should be all set.

Some things to note:

1. Files are limited to 30 minutes at which time it will start a new file.

2. For some reason all files are dated 12/31/2000 12:00 AM

3. Files are huge. The 3:25 min. video I submitted was edited in Movie Maker and saved as a WMV at 2mbps and is 52Mb. The original raw 5 minute AVI file at 64kbps was 175 mb.

4. The audio is awful but not really an issue for me.

The edited video in WMV was as close as I could get to the original. There was only a slight loss in quality.
6868 comments| 596 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2010
I do a lot of walking, typically 3 to 6 miles every day from my home to my work, or to nearby businesses. Like most pedestrians, I've had my share of close calls with inattentive and careless drivers. After recently being hit by a car (fortunately, I wasn't too badly hurt), I started looking for a small videocamera that I could wear to record what happened during my walks. The Veho MUVI seemed ideal, and I've now had a couple of days to use it. So here are my impressions:

(1) The MUVI is both smaller and heavier than I expected. It came with a rotating clip to hook to the front of my shirt, and a lanyard to wear around my neck. It looks and feels quite sturdy. I wouldn't want to bounce it off a sidewalk, but it definitely feels tough enough to endure normal handling, or being dropped a short distance. It does get warm to the touch while recording.

(2) Despite what the product photos on Amazon show, the camera must be mounted or carried vertically, not horizontally, with the lens on top for proper orientation. The video quality (640 x 480 pixels) is excellent given the lens size, and the Muvi quickly adapts between outdoors and indoors lighting changes, and gives very good results with both.

(3) As many others have pointed out, the 2 GB card that comes with the MUVI is simply inadequate. Buy yourself an 8 GB microSDHC class 6 card. The MUVI requires about 2.6 GB per hour of recording, so the 8 GB card will provide sufficient capacity for about 3 hours of video, which should be more than enough given the battery life of the MUVI.

(4) Despite what the instructions say, you cannot record while the MUVI is being recharged. On the other hand, with two MUVIs, four 8 GB SDHC cards, and a USB auto charger, you could record an entire 12-hour road trip by charging one MUVI while recording with the other.

(5) My Macbook mounts the MUVI exactly like a USB thumb drive whenever it is plugged in. Videos can be easily dragged and copied, or dragged and deleted. The MUVI does not support high-speed USB data transfer, so I recommend that you get a high-speed SDHC card reader if you want to copy off movies quickly.

(6) Audio quality is adequate but not very impressive. The voices of the people I talk to actually sound clearer than my own, and are understandable as long as you don't have a lot of background noise. You could probably understand a conversation recorded in a quiet room, in my opinion, but I wouldn't gamble on it in a large crowd.

(7) Best of all, the MUVI doesn't look like a videocamera. I've had lots of people look right at it and not realize what it was. I'm guessing they dismissed it and assumed it was an MP3 player or some sort of Bluetooth earpiece. It is ideal for discreet recordings, especially if you find yourself dealing with government authorities and want a video record of your interactions with them. (First make sure to review the wiretapping laws for wherever you live.)

So what would I like to see for a future version of the MUVI? Full HD quality recordings, longer battery life, better audio, and true optical stabilization would be a nice wish list, although fitting any of them into the MUVI's form factor would require a lot of engineering effort. Nevertheless, the MUVI is still an amazing little videocamera for its size and cost, and I'm looking forward to using it extensively in the coming months.
11 comment| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2011
I bought two of these as replacements for the similar unit I've had for about 18 months that has broken. One of the ones I bought would never sync up with my computer, and was returned at no cost to me to Amazon. The other one works fine, and has a better resolution than my original unit. I am a Police officer, and use them to capture video and audio on traffic stops, as well as anytime I have need of recording statements or actions. The audio on them is better than the in car camera I have.

I have also used one clipped to a hat band at sporting events to record video. It works well.
55 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2010
Purchased one of these and promptly rigged it up on the tiedown mount of an RV8 aircraft and flew it thru barrel rolls and high speed (200mph+) passes at airport. Camera did a very good job, only a slight pause for some unexplainable, reason (very slight). Handled the lighting variables in good shape. Excellent for the cost, and this is coming from a retired USAF Motion Picture Cameraman who has done several kinds of these applications on higher speed aircraft.
44 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2010
Veho VCC003MUVIPRO Muvi Pro Micro DV Camcorder with 4 GB Micro SD

I have to say I'm very impressed with this! I previously used a large Hi8 tape cam but it's very obtrusive. I use this 99% of the time I ride my bike as it helps me review and improve my riding technique. With this cam being so small and barely visible, I can leave it mounted when I park my bike. With the optional clip, it pops right in and out and It slips right in my pocket. I can even clip it to my belt while walking and no one ever notice. Sweet!
The PRO model is true 30fps. 4Gb is sufficient because it records for 2 hours and only uses half the memory. Add a 8Gb mini SD for under $30.
The only negative is how long it takes to upload your clips to a computer.
Something this small with this much quality you can't beat!
I removed the previous video and replaced it with two different views.
The first was with the cam mounted on the tank and the second half I was able to mount it inside of my helmet. I thought it came out pretty good and my feelings remain the same about the versatility of this little camera. And it would really be nice to have the option to disable the time stamp!
2424 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2009
I've bought 3 or 4 cameras of this type for use at work. I've bought 2 different helmet cameras that worked kind of okay, but this one knocks it out of the park. The case is built like a tank, it's very easy to use. The voice activated function is great. I'm using an 8gb chip in mine, so I can't talk about the quality problems I've heard about when using the 2gig chip that ships. I've used it the past couple days testing it by using the clip mount to clip it under my rear view mirror facing forward and I can tell you there are no police dashboard cameras that can beat the video. The camera focuses perfectly through the windshield and the angle of view is wide enough to capture a perfect scene. Low light is great, used it at a shooting range yesterday and once I figured out the proper placement the videos were great even in reduced lighting. If you need a tiny camera with great quality this is the one. My one complaint was when I installed the driver disk I began getting com errors and had to do a lot of googling before I could shut them off. I plugged the camera in another computer without installing the drivers and it worked fine. I suppose you will need the drivers if you are going to use this as a web camera, but thats a waste of a great piece of equipment. Audio is a weak point and wind noise will wipe the audio. If your going to use this as a cruiser cam not sure how you would get external audio, but it will pick up the video well. I highly recommend it. [...]
1717 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2011
I bought this camera for recording on-board video from my race car, and I'm not disappointed. After a half-season of racing, the Veho Muvi Pro is still going strong after being pelted with mud lap after lap. The video quality is very impressive for a camera of this price and size. Video wise, the only drawback seems to be that it struggles in low light. Usually this is not a problem for my purposes, as track lighting usually provides sufficient light, but a couple of times this year I have had grainy footage due to poor lighting and mounting location. When used around the house, sound can sometimes be a bit muffled, but when racing, the camera does an excellent job of capturing the sound of my engine, with little to no wind noise. Others have mentioned the video skipping just a bit, I've had a bit of this with the memory card shipped with it, but it's usually minor, and indications are that a better memory card eliminates this issue. Overall, this camera has done what I wanted it to do, and is at a low enough price that I can afford to put it in peril on the track. After seeing my videos, one of my competitors has already bought one for himself, as has an ultralight pilot that I know. The included video is a compilation of clips in different lighting conditions, to give you a real-world idea of how the camera performs. All in all, in my opinion it's a fine camera at a great price.
44 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
1st, Battery life poor but other than that it was a pretty good camera. 2nd, My unit died at 7 months. Unit has a 1 year warranty but no one will honor it! Seller ('PORTABLE GUY') directed me to the manufacturer (VEHO)who directed me back to the seller who said that manufacturer had to warranty it. (catch 22) Veho has not responded to any follow-up emails. Amazon granted me an 'exception' and refunded my money, (good decision by Amazon!). If you choose to buy this beware of ~ZERO~ customer service from either Portable Guy or Veho.

Veho VCC003MUVI Micro DV Camcorder
1010 comments| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2010
Like most people, I bought this because it was small. It mount's to my vehicle's windshield easily and does not obstruct my view tucked up under my rear-view mirror. It seems well built, and easy to use. The included memory card provides a good amount of recording time, but it is very slow to transfer the videos to a computer through the internal USB, only about 1MB/s. You should get an SD adapter and use a card reader.

The main downside to this is the battery. It advertises a recording time of about 3 hours, but I struggle to get even one hour record time out of it. It can only fill the card if you stop to charge it between shooting, or if you run it on USB power. A $5 USB 12V to USB adapter works nicely for me, with a thin USB cable.

I found the included clip is nice, but it's not entirely useful. If you want to expand your mounting options, check out the RAM mount system. The RAM-B-238-VEN1U allows this to mount with a "B" size ball. Then you can stick it to almost anything depending on your base.
66 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
The Veho Micro DV Camcorder (henceforth called "MUVI" in this review) is a very nice tool for taking good quality video in situations where you you don't have the luxury of holding a regular camcorder, or where small size is critical.

First off, I need to clarify that this item being sold by Amazon is NOT the "Pro" model. At least at the time of writing this review, there is nothing in Amazon's product description to indicate whether the item being sold is the regular version or the 'pro' version. The regular version is model number VCC-003-MUVI-BLK, while the 'pro' version is model number VCC-003-MUVI-PRO. Amazon just lists the part number up to the MUVI part, and does not include the suffix. I have reported this to Amazon, so maybe the description will be fixed by the time you read this. I also petitioned Amazon to include a note in the technical description area to further clarify this. In case you are curious, the two products seem to be basically the same (according to Veho's own website) with the exception that the regular version comes with a 2 GB micro-SD memory card and lists a frame rate of 20-25 fps, whereas the 'pro' version comes with a 4 GB card and lists a frame rate of 30 fps. Reviews on other websites suggest that the frame rate is dictated by the speed of the memory card, and that the regular version of this product comes with not only a smaller card, but also a slower one. This might explain the slower frame rate, but by extrapolation, it might also mean that if you put in a larger and faster memory card, the regular version would become identical to the 'pro' version. In other words, the actual camcorder might be the same product, with the only difference being the memory card that comes packaged with it. ****Clarification as of March 5, 2012: Veho tech support advised me that there IS a minor difference between the regular (BLK) and the PRO version; the PRO version includes a firmware change so that it records timestamp data into the video....this was apparently due to requirements by law enforcement for their applications of the MUVI.

Anyway, on to the actual review. You get a lot for your money with the MUVI. It is a surprisingly heavy device, and the case is metal, not plastic. It has a high quality look and feel. It is about the same dimensions as the average adult human thumb (the part that extends from the hand). It is thicker in the lens area, and thinner for the rest of its length; at its thickest it is about the thickness of the average thumb. Length is approximately 2-1/8", width 13/16", maximum thickness about 3/4". Weight is 1.5oz (42g), not counting the optional clip and lanyard, 50g with those accessories.

It is also very easy to use. It has a sliding power switch, but it has some ability to power down and/or go to sleep after a while if not recording. Whether it turns off or goes to sleep depends on how much charge remains in the battery. Once turned on, you press a tiny button to start recording, and press it again to stop recording. There is a slide switch labeled "VOX", and this turns the voice activation feature on and off. According to the manual, any sound louder than 65dB will cause the MUVI to record. If the sound level drops below 65dB and stays there for 2 minutes, the MUVI goes into standby mode. When the sound level exceeds 65dB, it comes out of standby and resumes recording. There are no other controls besides the ones mentioned above.

The MUVI has a single LED indicator. In my opinion, this is the weakest aspect of the device, because it can be somewhat difficult to remember all the color and flash combinations. To give you some idea, steady blue means power on, slow blue flashing means low battery, fast blue flashing means memory-to-computer data transfer, steady green means memory is full, slow green flashing means recording, fast green flashing means no SD card installed, steady red means charging, and LED off means either fully charged (if currently plugged into USB) or device is off (if NOT plugged into USB). But it is not so bad as it seems, because operationally you are most likely to just be worrying about the green colors, where a slow flash is good, and anything else means you are not recording.

While I have not tried it, the manual states that the MUVI can serve as a webcam (the VOX switch must be on).

The MUVI records video and monaural audio. Video is 640-480 pixel resolution at 20-25 frames per second (fps), recorded in the AVI file format, takes 1 GB of memory per 45 minutes of recording, so with the included 2 GB micro-SD card you can record for 1.5 hours. Maximum SD card capacity is 8 GB, so you could record for up to 6 hours. There are no settings to change any aspect of the recording quality; it "is what it is". Because the file format is AVI, the video quality is somewhat better than that taken by some other inexpensive cameras, and you should not have any trouble using the video file(s) because this format has fewer issues (perhaps NO issues) with codecs that some other formats (e.g. MOV) suffer from. NOTE: While the Veho website says that the video fps is 20-25, the actual manual states that it is 'up to 30 fps'. Considering what I wrote above in the paragraph that compares the regular and the 'pro' versions of the MUVI, this seems to reinforce the idea that the two products are actually the same (see clarification above), and the fps is dictated solely by the speed of the memory card you plug into the MUVI; i.e. the somewhat slower frame rate advertised for the product can be improved by replacing the included SD card with a faster one.

Pressing in on the edge of the micro SD card with your fingernail, it will be released and will pop out (normally the edge of the card is flush with the side of the MUVI). You can insert the card into any card reader that accepts the micro-SD size. You can also connect the MUVI to your computer using the included cable, and the computer should immediately recognize the MUVI as an external memory device, allowing you to access the SD card without needing to remove it from the camera.

The MUVI does not come with any software. None is required for accessing the memory, and according to the manual, it is 'plug and play' for use as a webcam.

The internal battery is apparently lithium ion, just like in your cell phone. It appears that the battery is not user-replaceable, although it looks like the metal case can be opened by removing screws, so perhaps the battery can be changed. However, I suggest that you consider the battery to be non-removable, non-replaceable. It charges in less than 2 hours, using any USB power source (most likely your computer). The battery, when fully charged, lasts for 2 hours; this means that you should be able to record for the full capacity of the memory before the battery runs down. NOTE: According to the Veho website, the 'pro' version of the MUVI still has the 2 hour battery usage limit, so that is a gotcha considering that model comes with a 4 GB SD card, with a recording time of 4 hours.

An important limitation of the MUVI, and one that is not mentioned in the manual, is that for the camera to record, it MUST be operating on battery power. If you have it plugged into a computer and turn the power switch on, the MUVI insists on going into webcam mode, and does not respond to the record button. However, if you use it in webcam mode with software that can record its video stream, you could theoretically record forever (i.e. the MUVI itself would not be doing the recording).

The optics of the MUVI are fixed. The CCD image sensor is 2 mega pixels, the viewing angle is 72 degrees, minimum illumination is 1 lux. Focal aperture is 2.8, focal length is from 2cm (approx. 1 inch) to infinity.

There is no viewfinder.

Veho's advertising claims that this product takes high quality video, which many readers these days would assume to be something a lot more than 640x480 resolution, and they claim that it is the smallest of its type. Both definitions are subjective, but their claims are no doubt somewhat unfounded. Still, this is a very nice product.

The MUVI comes with:
- the MUVI camcorder
- 2 GB micro-SD memory card
- cloth carrying pouch with drawstring
- lanyard (the lanyard attach point on the MUVI is solid metal)
- snap on belt clip (can be used to attach the MUVI to other clothing and objects)
- USB B-mini adapter plug
- USB cable
- printed manual in English, Italian, German, French, Spanish

Some likely uses:
- helmet camera for workers, athletes, extreme sports, etc
- recording random events with no warning; since it is key-chain/pocketable small, is instant-on and instant record
- recording traffic stops and other security actions (police, etc)
- baby sitter monitoring
- spy camera
- use on things like remote controlled aircraft, cars, boats, helicopters (I put mine on a Blade mQX quadrotor helicopter to take aerial videos)
- model rocketry
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse