Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 404 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 438 reviews
on March 1, 2013
I use this while riding my motorcycle to record other drivers and to protect myself legally. At 1080p the recording detail is good enough to make out the speed gradients on my analog speedometer and I can even make out the small specs of rust on my steering column. I can see every little detail of the asphalt, make out the faces of passing pedestrians, read mail box numbers (if passing slow enough) and license plates of cars when at a stop. The view angle is wide enough to record my instrument panel, my hands on the handlebars and my wrists (in comparison I have tried other mini cameras and the video recordings are only wide enough to get the windshield area). There is a time & date stamp setting that superimposes over the video, which makes a nice legal reference. The 720p modes and lower aren't good enough to catch small details like license plate #'s so I don't even use them.

I can't comment on all the accessories. I only use the pocket clip and I'm good enough with the camera buttons to not need the remote. It is not hard to use the camera if you only need to turn it on and push the record button, which takes maybe 5 seconds to get going.

The on-board controls are only needed if you need to navigate the menus to do something special, like change the date/time, change the resolution, or do a video playback. Once I had my controls set I never really used the on-board stuff again.

The included software isn't needed; the movie files are saved in .mov format which I have viewed in Windows using Apple's Quicktime software. VLC media player also works, it is freeware software that can be used with any operating system.

In conclusion, I feel confident using this camera and will update my review if I encounter any problems with it. It has met my expectations and exceeded them for a small pocket camera. 5 stars.
66 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2012
I bought this camera based upon the reviews and example footage I've found on YouTube. The reason I purchased this to begin with was to have a wearable camera to wear while on patrol (Law Enforcement). I needed something that would be of quality, use as little space as possible, and be solid in construction. When it arrived, I immediately started testing it out using the 1080p and 720p settings:

Video Quality: Amazing quality on HD settings. Eats up memory space like a mad man, but looks pretty solid. I was able to transition from light to dark with little problems, and see clearly in all recordings. I could read license plates, street signs, etc. when mounted in my vehicle, and see small text when worn.

Audio Quality: Decent "to the rear" recording when worn, but amazing "to the front" as the mic is mounted on the from face beside the camera. I even ran some music in my vehicle and turned up the radio and it came across as clear as if I added the music onto the clip afterwards.

When speaking to different people I'm able to fully understand every word spoken within about 20 feet or less. Comes in handy in almost every regard.

Construction: It's made of hard and soft plastic. Has what feels like a rubbery feel to the front (which seems like a layer added on top). The screen on the back seems sturdy enough to take a few bumps, though I did leave the screen protector on it when wearing the alligator clip (the screen is put up against the clip with a small gap).

Downsides: Eats up memory. A single 40 minute clip on full 1080 HD fills an entire 4GB MicroSD card. I'm not entirely sure why, but the footage breaks itself down into multiple files. One file was 3.42GB (31 minutes) and a second one less in length and size to fill the card. I see no option for ONE continous file which would be ideal.

One the of the most major flaws which caused me to give this a 4 star review is that if you leave the unit on and then try to record a few things happen. I usually keep it on and plugged in while wearing it (with an extended USB cord plugged into a laptop). When I go to record I pull the cord and began hitting record. The camera goes into a standby when not in use, so it takes roughly 15-20 seconds to get out of that and start up. This requires you to hit the record button over and over until it starts. You run the risk of stopping the recording this way as well.

I then noticed after doing a VERY crucial recording... that while it recorded the video in full HD perfectly fine (albiet two files), it had NO audio. ?! That's what I said. There were some very specific statements and observations on the video that were completely lost. I tried three different players (VLC, KMPLayer, Quicktime) and the audio was simply gone. I attribute this to the fact that I had been keeping the camera on for too long regardless of whether it went into standby or not.

Bottom Line: It's an amazing camera. It's discrete. When mounted to chest I've had people look at it and not even notice it's a camera (I did apply black electrical tape to the MUVI logo which is bright white on the front, and to the two lights on it). It's sturdy... not a single problem even after some drops. It comes with an amazing variety of mounts for the dash, body, etc. The price is decent, and the quality is worth every penny. I'm tempted to buy a second one to dash mount it and run it in conjunction with the chest camera.

EDIT: 08-31-13

I have run into a snag with the camera. Apparently plugging it in and unplugging has now made the USB port non-functional and it physically moves around in the body of the camera. Plugging it in no longer charges it or accesses the footage. This is not something I would have expected to randomly happen from this camera based on its performance thus far. I have dropped the rating down to 3 stars while I contact support and see if they are able to send me a replacement (refurbished or not) or repair it. If the replacement goes through ok, I'll bump this back up to 4 stars and potentially 5 stars.

Just be aware that aside from the audio problem this is a possible issue that you can run into.

EDIT: 09-08-13

I contacted support through their website and received an email a couple days later. They will not replace the camera even if it's defective. They told me to contact Amazon which they can't help either with it being outside of the return policy. I emailed them back again the same day and no response over a week.

I now own a $150 paper weight. Be warned that Muvi will not warranty this product.
2626 comments| 248 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2015
Fantastic picture, good sound. I'm very pleased with the video record quality, but can't get it to take still pictures. Likely operator error, but that should not be an involved process.
I use this camera in law enforcement, so when something jumps off I need to activate the record quickly and easily so I can focus on the situation at hand. There seems to be no consistency in how many times I need to press the record button and know the camera is working from stand-by mode. Sometimes twice, or three times. I've missed incriminating res gestae footage because the camera wasn't recording after attempted activation. Wonderful device otherwise, I just don't recommend it for police use at this time.
review image
on March 23, 2012
I bought this device to record all my traffic stops and cases I come across. All I can say is that every department should have this issued. It's already saved my job! As cops, we get complaints all the time from citizens claiming this or that! It's an awesome feeling to say " No I didn't, here's the video!" This Muvi HD10 is awesome! Excellent picture / voice quality. The wide angle lense captures all the action especially when you're dealing with multiple subjects. There's cheaper and smaller ones available, but it's just that! Cheaper and smaller because it doesn't offer the quality higher models like this one offers. This thing easily clips to my uniform or can be mounted anywhere as a bunch of mounting accessories come with it. The only con to this is the small 4gb sd card that comes with it. When you're recording video especially in 1080p or even 720p, you run out of room pretty quick, good enough for about 30 mins of video. I've upgraded to 32gb and used a class 10 card for faster speeds in transferring and hours of recording time. At the end of my shift I just view, edit, rename, and transfer to my bigger flash drive or laptop. Just a word of warning to my fellow officers......don't get the ear mounted cams, they'll easily fly off your head if you gotta chase or take someone down, unless you're some fat desk sergeant that never patrols or wants to record himself downing jelly rolls. This Muvi HD 10 comes with a solid alligator clip. I've rolled around with a suspect and it stayed on my shirt the whole time. Oh yeah, it works good for other stuffs too! Bottom line, it works...and works well!
2626 comments| 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2014
The video you see here ...10 sec interval about 500 images time lapse exported out with Lightroom4. The lines you see at the top are reflections of window blinds because this was my first experiment shot thru window. Spot metered and position adjusted so that the exposure seemed almost right. Note... in my experience, the Muvi's spot metering is good at controlling/exposing for the highlights. But it gives no boost shooting in a dark environment compared to auto exposure.

The good - Better than expected quality in good light shooting at 1080p.

Misleading info -
- You can shoot at the widest angle only in 720p. 1080p gives you a narrower view(explain why Veho!)
- The max aperture is only 3.6 as per exif data on the pictures(Veho claims this to be 2.8 on their website(veho-world)). This 3.6 aperture is fixed irrespective of lighting conditions and camera parameters. So, camera plays with ISO and shutter speed to adjust exposure(Explain why Veho... if the camera is really F2.8 why won't you use it?). This also means, in low light, the ISO gets boosted (instead of opening the aperture)and you get a very grainy image.

The bad - My tripod socket came loose within a week. It may partially be because in both of my mounts, I can't feel if the bottom of the camera touched the 1/4" screw because it is a (unnecessarily)very tight fit. Also I think there should have been a collar on the metal insert in addition to the knurling to give it better support to prevent it from being pulled out so easily. I am getting this ... Veho Muvi VCC-A013-UTM MUVI Universal Tripod Mount Video Camera (Black)

I bought this to be used as a dash cam and this works great. It gets mounted upside down with the attachments came with the camera.

Good to know - 1080p files are split at 1802MB and for 720p at 902MB. Rewriting the older files(Loop record)works well. Waking up from standby is not really faster than manually switching it on(It takes a few seconds). You can switch it off directly (skipping holding the record button to show the display) while recording with the display off and video will be saved properly.960P is NOT 16:9!You can zoom only in 720P(even if you want to take picture). The camera releases the shutter when you release the button(not when you press it!) In 1080P, your image covers more area than what you composed(for photographs). You can not take a picture while movie recording is going on. Going to the playback area is the biggest trap(You better know what to press and in what order...there is no one click exit). I wish pressing the record button exited from any kind of menus. You can shoot timelapse with the screen off just like the video. Just noticed... it does not go to stand by mode if you are in a menu! I wish I knew how to make a charge and record cable for the car. Also I wish if Amazon allowed me to add an additional video, I could have added another driving footage. You can have live HDMI output on the TV with the mini HDMI port(not that it has any use for me!)
review image review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2013
This little camera is great. I immediately plugged in a 32GB micro SD card and usually took this on my dashboard to record drives. (This thing comes with a mess of mounts and clip) It was also not only intended for use at work to catch those who should be caught but also our stupid customers who deserve to show their true colors on youtube. (And insurance for me for the lying hissyfitters.) This thing can be set to record when it hears audio. I wish it were motion sensor instead. Maybe next time. This thing is only like a double sized Zippo lighter in size and has an awesome color screen on the back to display what you're recording or looking at. You can also use it for playback on the unit.

We had recently hired a caretaker for my dad with Alzheimer's and I had a funny feeling about the new caretaker. I set the thing to record with audio sensor start recording and set the camera in the back of the room. Because this cam is HD AND has like a 160 degree view or something like that I was able to record watching the caretaker in up to almost 2/3rds + of the house. I caught her scoping out rooms she had no business in, and worse, ignoring my dad who she was being paid to care for. I watched her watch TV and talk on the phone for 3 days and fired her. BINGO! This recorder paid for itself hundreds of times over instead of us getting grief and regrets from a no good worker. I can just imagine something bad happening from a non caring caretaker. Thank you Veho.

This thing is small and easy to disguise. Just cover the tiny red light in the front with a square millimeter of electrical tape and you've got a cheap surveillance system. I should have rated this 4 because they missed motion sensor but this thing is a magnificent miniature HD camera. Even when I recorded 1080 it took a long time to fill the 32GB card.

This thing may also be great for sports but I messed up when I took it whitewater rafting so we never got to use it for that, although it did get to come along for the ride. The waterproof housing is waterproof and very sturdy, by the way. If you want a small, easy to disguise, HD, super wide angle camera, with remote control, that carries a very decent charge this is what you're looking for. The pictures from this motion and still camera are very clear and of excellent quality. I love this camera for its simplicity, tiny size, remote control, and excellent quality product both picture and build. What's even cooler is if you get the right micro HDMI > HDMI cable and you can play direct from the Veho to any HDTV. This also an excellent bargain for what you are getting. The recording video plays back in excellent HD on a large screen HDTV. I played it on a 60" and saw so much detail that I was really impressed something this small recorded such a beautiful video.
on April 20, 2015
We've owned this for right around a month. It worked great and we loved it. ...Until, the Mini USB port disconnected and stopped working. I was gently pushing in the cable (to download the video) and the Mini USB port just pushed into the camera and started moving around. Now we can not charge it, turn it on, or anything it used to do. We really did love this! Now we are heartbroken! I bought this for my family to Vlog/Blog. I am so disappointed. It is just dead.
review image review image review image
on June 9, 2015
This camera does what it says it supposed to do. As a law-enforcement officer in today's world, if your department does not issue you were camera and this one is for you. The price tag is necessary. And it is worth the money. The remote control, will go on your duty belt very snuggly, be careful cause I can mess it up.

The only complaint I have with this camera, is that when you have it on standby it's hard to reactivate it. If you forget to turn it off it will burn through the battery extremely quickly. Just remember to turn it off. Don't go with anything less than a 32 gig memory card.

This is a patrolmens, investigators, and administrators best friend.
on September 17, 2015
Using as a body cam in a Law Enforcement capacity. Unit works well however, battery dies after approximately 3 hours of usage. Unit comes with a wireless remote, which I have attached to my duty belt. Wireless remote will not work if the unit itself is not manually turned on. If you leave the unit on in stand-by mode, the screen will remain lit which will drain the battery and reduce recording time. There is an option in which you can turn the screen off while in stand-by mode however, the unit will not record unless you turn the screen back on. This particular feature in and of itself is worthless. Unit can be set to record with a date and time stamp, which is useful for documentation and court purposes. The audio and video are good quality and have a wide view in non HD mode. HD mode has a narrow view however, the picture is more detailed. Unit does not have night vision so if you are on permanent grave yard shift, you may want to reconsider for the video is poor in the dark. I work for a smaller municipal agency with a tight budget. We are not issued body cameras and must pay for our own cameras if we want one. This unit has served me well. Its been with me during uses of force and in heavy rain. Nothing has stopped it yet. The unit comes with a heavy duty clip which also works well. The kit comes with video editing software, power/USB cable, soft case and several mounting brackets for use as a dash cam etc. If you have been thinking about buying a body cam, this is a good one at a reasonable price. I also purchased a service/warranty plan with the unit just in case.
on June 15, 2013
I gave it three stars because the product description stated HD and 170 degrees field of view...
Even the manual states that under "Specifications"...

They even know how to stipulate as tehy did so when they mentioned "Digital zoom 3x (when using 720p resolution).

So, the manufacturer clearly understands how to write a stipulation yet did not do so when I came down to the HD being at a much smaller field of view in 1080 mode.

I purchased this for the wider field of view in 1080 mode and of course this is disappointing.

Sorry, for the short review but I wanted to get you guys a quick video of this product to help in anyway in your purchasing decision.
I suppose it is a great product if you do not care about that field of view and 1080 HD as I do.
Here is the quoted from the listing as I made the purchase understanding, "5MP HD video image resolution up to 1920 x 1080 at 30fps; 170 degree wide angle lens to capture all of the footage all of the time".
You can read this anyway you like but I understood it to be like the manual stated, full, 170 degree field of view at 1920 x 1080.
Very low battery life - right at 54 minutes of recording time at 720 and with seven different recording times on/off a full battery