Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 22, 2012
When I first started reading this book, I disliked the main character Braya. I thought to myself "This is the heroine? I don't like her." I learned to appreciate that about this book. Ms. Vale does the opposite of what most authors do. Instead of having you love the main character from the beginning, she has you slowing coming around as the story progresses. You learn more about Braya and the world she lives in. A world were women are dominant and men are second class citizens. Where the beautiful people are put together to create more beautiful offspring. It's a different concept to see women as the power in the world rather than men. Braya takes that to heart and swears she hates men. She wants nothing to do with them. That includes her brother Aspen. Someone she was close to, she now shuns him because he is the opposite sex. I think that deep down she does care for him but she doesn't want to disappoint her mother, Charlotte. Gaining her approval seems to be what is most important to her. Braya has spent years listening to her mother's crazy view on things and thought that she was right in those views. Then she meets Asher and her whole world crumbles around her. She is not sure what to believe. She believed what her mother believed. The world she has always lived it is not how it may seem. As she learns the truth, I start to see her in a different light. I realize that it is not her fault. She was sheltered in some ways. She is a product of how she was raised. As Braya starts to learn the truth, she starts to fall for Asher. This is new for her. She never thought that she would have feelings like this. She is suppose to marry another though. She is a Bride. Her job is to create beautiful offspring. She has to decide who she will choose.

What I wasn't happy with was I wish I knew more about Asher. I wanted to know his back story. But I guess that we have to wait for the next installment.

Ms. Vale writes a compelling, edge of your seat story. She takes you along for a ride with the characters. You learn as the characters learn. You really get a chance to get to know them. There were some surprises that had you going, "No Way." It is a story with an underlining fact, maybe you shouldn't judge till you have all the facts. I liked the author's writing. It's detailed but not overly so. She does a great job appealing to her audience. You have action, drama and a love triangle. What more could you want? (:

Overall Thoughts:

I enjoyed this book. It surprised the hell out of me. I couldn't put it down. I would have finished it sooner if life didn't get in the way. The author did an awesome job. I recommend that you read this one. It has a dystopian feel to it. I would say that it is appropriate for ages 13+. It's not overly violent and the language is not to harsh. Great read and I can not wait for the next installment.

I recieved a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Venus City by Tabitha Vale is the first Urban Fanatsy YA novel I read. The novel revolves around a girl called Braya. she is from a Crown family and her mother is very powerful. She lives in a city where males are void of emotions such as anger, lust, jealousy, and passion, and where beautiful women are groomed to marry and produce beautiful babies to enhance the pretty gene pool. Problems start when Braya is assigned the role of a bride which brings anger and frustration from her and shame to her Crown family name. She then gets tangled with a group that is infiltrating her city and is forced into a master-slave bond (nothing x-rated here!) and ends up having to follow orders from Asher, who never fails to remind her that she lives in a bubble, literally. Venus City has closed itself off using some magic power to stay far away from the war that has occupied the rest of the world.

What I didnt enjoy in the book is how WHINY and SPOILED and NAIVE Braya was. She kept on constantly complaining that she isn't fit to be a bride because she IS a crown and that she is better than all those Finches (think muggle status in harry potter) and that men are all beneath her because her mommy dearest has taught her that. When she gets the bride role her mother starts treating her like crap, kicking her out of the house, calling her a rotten apple and a shame to the family name. What frustrated me is that Baraya STILL gives her excuses! i mean no sane mother would say such things.

I have mentioned previously that I am a fan of dialogue in books. I really get sucked into the story when the book has a ton of dialogue or even internal conflicts, however in Venus City, there is a lot of descriptions and details. Descriptions of buildings, surroundings, people's clothes; I admit that I skipped many paragraphs like that because if I didn't I would have felt restless and that the story was progressing very slowly. However whatever dialogue that was in the book was entertaining, especially between her and Asher.

Overall Venus City kept me entertained and even though I had a few issues with it, overall it was a good read, especially towards the end when the action really starts. I must say, that this type of series is where the second book in it would be better because the protagonist has finally matured and developed so I will be checking out the second book as soon as I can
on March 24, 2012
Braya Vace lives in Venus city; she has been brought up privileged with every opportunity available to her and considering her mother is a very important person, they have been vast. Now it comes to the time in her life when Braya must chose a career and she expects only the best, why wouldn't she? She is a crown, and crowns are the elite in the Venus City society. Venus city has a strict class system, in which you career defines you and men are the lowest of the low, with magenta eyes and no feelings - not fit for anything but Braya's disdain - they are just born that way and so, after a disastrous career interview, Braya is given a position that is way beneath her, that of Bride - nothing more than a breeding machine. She is horrified and expects her mother to make things right, but will she help? With her sister being sick also, she is persuaded to stay in order to search for a cure and tries to make do until things are sorted out but then she comes across some new boys, boys whose eyes aren't magenta, boys like Asher . . . . . and her world is blown apart!

Well, I was really surprised by this book and what started out as just ok turned into something really good. I suppose you could class this book as dystopian, an imaginary society build on a set of beliefs, different to our own with certain magic, powers, technology etc. but for all it has a futuristic feel, their class system and prejudice has a sexist, dated feel to it - obviously that is needed though otherwise all would be well in Braya's world. Braya wasn't the best of characters to warm to especially with her views on people and the ways of the world but you can understand her because those views were drummed into her from an early age and that type of thing isn't easily broken, she reminded me of one of the `mean girls'. She has such a black & white perspective that she refuses to see any grey areas until she can't deny them any longer. That starts to change with the appearance of Asher and the Locers, a bunch of foreigners who have managed to slip into the city on some sort of mission and by using a master/slave bond on Braya, she is forced to help them and is drawn to Asher as a result. That's when she starts to see a little of the grey but is so stubborn about being who people expect her to be that she refuses to see what's in front of her both as a whole and emotionally. So it does take a lot to like her and when I allowed myself to, I sort of understood her. I think what brought me round the most was when she was with Asher and her sister because some of her vulnerability came through, softening her a little and humanising her.

The plot was definitely where it's at though, I have to say that in the beginning I was pretty confused with all the information about classes, jobs and areas but once that was out of the way it got really interesting and I felt like there was two stories in one book and not in a bad way either. It was really interesting as everything was revealed and when you thought you could trust one person, you couldn't and then you thought it was going to go one way and it didn't. There were so many twists and turns that you really have no idea about, they're just sprung on you and leave you wondering where that just came from and to be honest that is what turned this around for me and made it from a good book into a really good book. There is also this elaborate game that features heavily throughout the book which I didn't think would be good but has a very important role in the book and turned out to be not so bad too. So after the not so great start I kept on reading and by the end of the book, I was so into it that I didn't want it to end and I'm glad I stick to the `If I start it, I finish it' rule otherwise I would have missed out on what this book really was about and book two - Ephraim City (Legacy of the Sares, #2) is already on my TBR list.
on March 26, 2012
Venus City has an interesting premise, but suffers from the standard indie-style incorrect word choices (though not as badly as some titles). Worse than that though are the entirely annoying main characters.

The male lead is continually snickering and snorting. EVERY time he says something he snickers and snorts - sometimes as often as three times/page, as though the author is trying to 'show not tell' but just can't get it right. Honestly, the man seems like an arrogant jerk, I can't understand the attraction. At all. It was so bad, I just had to laugh. Honestly.

World-building could have been a bit better - it's pretty expository, and while it seems to be more sci-fi it actually stems from an under-explained magic system (perhaps more on this in the sequel?)

To be fair, this is the first published work of a very young author. She's clearly creative but can use a good editor for guidance.

I couldn't help myself though, I did download the sequel. I hope there will be less snickering.
on February 18, 2012
Bravo! i was so impressed with this book. The whole book i was on my toes wanting to find out the end, but then again never wanting it to end. The characters conections were so strong, with all the detail you put into it. Thank you so much for giving me the honor to read this. I cant wait to own the book!
on February 15, 2012
Wow, this is so creative and imaginable! I couldn't stop reading until I had nothing more to read! The main character was very relatable and had a good voice. The love interest isn't boring and dry, but very juicy. I loved it, I can't wait for the next book!