Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,754 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,881 reviews
on August 28, 2009
EDIT: This review applies to Verbatim 95098 & 97459 (Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging of 95098) specifically!

EDIT 2-16-2013: I absolutely love Amazon & Verbatim's Frustration-Free Packaging! It keeps your DVDs safe and sound much like NewEgg's packaging, but without all those pesky packing peanuts!
And, for what it is worth, the batch I received recently was manufactured in Taiwan. In fact, I believe all the spindles with the Frustration-Free Packaging are manufactured and packaged in Taiwan....

Original Review:
Bearing in mind that some media and some optical drives just do not get along, I would say that these discs (manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.) are the closest in quality to the cream of the crop (Taiyo Yuden) that I have come across. The "media ID code" that you should look for in this case is MCC 004.
The thing to remember when buying blank DVD media is that brand name means little: you want a good manufacturer. For instance, I have burned some TDK media for a friend and noticed that one batch was manufactured by Ritek and another by CMC Magnetics.
I strongly suggest visiting digitalfaq dot com and check out -->/reviews/dvd-media before you buy!
Also, check out the freeware tool DVD Identifier, as well, so you know who is manufacturing your media. This will provide easy access to your disc's media ID.

Hope this helps to cut back on "coasters!"

EDIT December 21,2012 in reply to Anonymous comment below:
There are lots of good references on the web such as videohelp dot com and MyCE dot com, among others.
I used to like DVD Identifier (and still do), but it's database has not been updated for a couple years. But that doesn't bother me since all I burn are MCC 004s and it identifies those just fine.
-- I recommend using ImgBurn to write the discs and it will show you the manufacturer of your blank disc. A quick Googling of ImgBurn will get you to their site - Amazon keeps killing my links to ImgBurn dot com and other resources.

Verbatim branded MCC004s are manufactured in a few different countries and I have found subtle differences between those made in Taiwan and those in India. These are mostly cosmetic and the performance is not impacted - at least not in my experience and I've burned well over 1000 of these from both Taiwan and India and can count the coasters on one hand.
-- Bear in mind that I am talking about the Verbatim 95098 line specifically.
There are others that you should avoid. For instance, the "Life Series" is NOT manufactured to MCC standards using their proprietary AZO dye - rather, those are Moser Baer blanks that are branded Verbatim.
This is where some of the confusion comes in because Moser Baer (India) does manufacture some 95098s and others for MCC and those are OK because they are made to MCC specifications.

Bottom line: If you want a good blank disc, buy the Verbatim 95098 and make sure ImgBurn shows the the media code to be MCC 004 and you should be fine.
99 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2016
I hate to join the small group of one-star raters, but I'm afraid that I must change my earlier five-star to a one-star. The very first blank Verbatim DVD+R worked perfectly. Out of the next fourteen, however, only two worked. The others all failed, and were spat out by my DVD recorder.
There are so many positive reviews for Verbatim, so these things must be good...I guess...but not for me. Yes, it could be the fault of my DVD recorder, or the software which I'm using to burn the DVDs. However, after I gave up on Verbatim, I ordered my old standby, Memorex. As always, Memorex worked perfectly...for me...so, my machine is clearly not broken. Verbatim seems not to be compatible with my system. With yours, perhaps it will be.
There are, as I recall, about 1,900 reviews for Verbatim blank DVD+Rs. The majority are positive. I'm sure these DVDs are good. But, after an 80% failure rate for me, I have to give up. I will never get these again, and I cannot recommend that anyone else does, either. But, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds really like these things.
One star for me. For you, maybe five.
on December 9, 2015
I made my first Amazon purchase almost eleven years ago. In the meantime I've had good and bad experiences, mainly good, but never have I felt the need to write a review, until now. That's because never have I experienced a product this atrocious before. I couldn't possibly keep track of how many DVDs I've burnt over the past decade, but I know they measure in the high hundreds. These Verbatim DVDs are simply the absolute worst purchase I have ever made, not just of DVDs, not just on Amazon, but of anything, anywhere, and I bought a Rick Astley cassette tape when I was a kid. One (1) DVD worked out of the twenty-six (26) I tried. Right now DVDs number 27 and 28 are being burned, but as of this moment it's pretty much just for s#it and giggles, since I already know the result. And that's the thing: one DVD worked, the other 25 failed. Had that one DVD not worked, and had I experienced a 100% failure rate, we could perhaps assume that there was some massive cosmic convergence of events in which my three programs in two separate computers stopped working (at the same time, and independently from each other) or the burning software in two computers suddenly stopped working (at the same time, and independently from each other), or the four DVD players I have (an LG, a Sony, a PS3, and an Xbox 360) also stopped working (at the same time, and independently from each other) or that I had a small stroke that went unnoticed and I forgot how DVDs are created. But if the problem was on my end, that one lonely single DVD wouldn't have worked either.
I don't even want the money back. Perhaps that's factored into the manufacturers' equation when they ship this dreadful product to be sold. "We'll sell them cheap so that customers will choose our brand, and so cheap that it won't even be worth it for them to return it." Go and read the 5-star reviews, and you will see how many of them are from many years ago. My review is from December 9th, 2015. Stay away from this garbage product. Actually, that's unfair to garbage, which some people can find useful, use to compost, and even turn into art. This product is worse than garbage, it is simply a form of industrial pollution. You will be paying $11 for the privilege of throwing a package in the garbage. I have absolutely no idea what brand you should buy, but I know what brand you should absolutely stay away from.
on March 3, 2016
I had trouble with Sony disks, being scratched right from the new package. So I tried Verbatim. The first spindle was OK, but the second has pitted disks. Looks like 30% (at least) will be trashed.

Who makes these disks? They are "Verbatim branded", but who really makes them? Are they the same who make Sony? Do I need to find a new way to make backups? Can I expect quality to continue to decline? Is this a dead technology, or is the manufacturer trying to kill it prematurely?

UPDATE: It turns out that Amazon sent the wrong part number. I ordered 97459 but received 95098. I ended up throwing away 40 of the disks, 38 because they were visibly scratched at the factory. The other two had I/O errors after writing (one had visibly distorted dye). Amazon refunded 1/3 the price. I should have asked for more. Photos added to show visible scratches and pit marks fresh from the package.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. You can't be sure where they were made, and there appears to be no quality control.
on November 15, 2013
These seem to work for me, so far and so good. I back up a great deal of documents for storage and archives, to add to and delete and these do the job. I had mistakenly purchased the same brand of –R and they didn’t work at all for anything. When they stored data, I couldn’t access them at all again. However, with these, I’ve used these three times so far to store, change and delete and they worked without any issue, which for me is a great plus.
It seems that the the DVD -R are hit and miss. A lot of people have had success with them, and I and a number of others haven't. I bought a package of 100 dics and not one worked. I was able to store to some, but later I was not able to access them on two different laptops including the one I used to burn to. I am now using these +R without issues, so far on the same laptops, which are ACER Aspire's: one running Vista and the other running WIN 7.
Overall, they work for me, which means as long as they are made the same, I'll keep buying these DVD+R in the future. I will update review in future should something change.
on October 16, 2012
I have read that the quality varies on these Verbatim discs and now I believe it. I ordered two 100 packs a while back and more than half of the discs have proved bad. Many of the burned discs can't be read in the DVD drive that burned them or in a DVD player. If I successfully burn a data disc that can be read by my PC's drive, it usually has Cyclic Redundancy Check errors--spots that can't be read at all. I've used a couple of Verbatim 100 packs before this and usually had only a few bad discs in the spindle, but I've never had an experience this bad with any brand as I've had with my last Verbatim shipment. The JVC hundred pack that I burned through at the same time didn't have even one unreadable disc or CRC error in the bunch, just flawless every time. If you believe what the DVD forums say, these Verbatim are supposed to among the best quality discs available right now, but what you get is obviously more hit and miss these days. I'm sorry that I ordered two 100 packs of these at once, and I won't make the mistake of wasting my money on Verbatim again.
on March 19, 2017
Hmm, they wont allow me to bun anything including music on windows media player or pictures so I'm not sure what's up with these ones. Maybe its my system, but I tried them on two different computers and they don't work. Try a different brand before you try these, I see many other people with the same problem as well. I would not buy these again and if I could go below one start then I would because it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2011
I use a lot of discs and decided to give Verbatim a shot because it had a good reputation. The price was not bad and the delivery was excellent. I have used a dozen or so of the discs so far and have had no coasters. There is one big problem and the reason I took off one star. There is more writing on each disc than in a bill passed by congress. There are letters, numbers, punctuation marks, rectangles, straight lines, and a big wavy line above the center hole. That is only a part of the annoying printed mess. I write a fair amount of information on each disc to identify the contents. I don't want to compete with the endless and useless markings already stamped on the disc.

These discs record as expected but my next purchase will not be Verbatim. If I want to do that much reading I will finish reading War and Peace.
on April 22, 2017
In my opinion, and apparently others (check out the reviews), the best single layer DVDs at the best price. Sounds like best value to me. Been using them for years without a problem. (True coasters have been almost non-existent for me. Usually these "coasters" are really my outputting things in a format which my programs or players can't use.) I know that supposedly DVD-R is more widely compatible, but I have never had a problem with these DVD+Rs.
on September 15, 2012
Bought this spindle of Verbatim blank DVDs. Verbatim is one of my preferred brands for blank DVDs. TDK is another. Sony is yet another. But Verbatim is what is always remembered by me at the top of my memory.

As for this particular recently bought spindle of 50 blank DVDs, so far have personally burned a dozen of the DVDs on a macbook and on a windows laptop without a failed burn. So, that's satisfaction for me.

FYI, ordered this spindle of blank DVDs directly from Amazon for sixteen bucks with the free shipping (when combined with the order of a book from Amazon).