Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,773 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,900 reviews
on August 28, 2009
EDIT: This review applies to Verbatim 95098 & 97459 (Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging of 95098) specifically!

EDIT 2-16-2013: I absolutely love Amazon & Verbatim's Frustration-Free Packaging! It keeps your DVDs safe and sound much like NewEgg's packaging, but without all those pesky packing peanuts!
And, for what it is worth, the batch I received recently was manufactured in Taiwan. In fact, I believe all the spindles with the Frustration-Free Packaging are manufactured and packaged in Taiwan....

Original Review:
Bearing in mind that some media and some optical drives just do not get along, I would say that these discs (manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.) are the closest in quality to the cream of the crop (Taiyo Yuden) that I have come across. The "media ID code" that you should look for in this case is MCC 004.
The thing to remember when buying blank DVD media is that brand name means little: you want a good manufacturer. For instance, I have burned some TDK media for a friend and noticed that one batch was manufactured by Ritek and another by CMC Magnetics.
I strongly suggest visiting digitalfaq dot com and check out -->/reviews/dvd-media before you buy!
Also, check out the freeware tool DVD Identifier, as well, so you know who is manufacturing your media. This will provide easy access to your disc's media ID.

Hope this helps to cut back on "coasters!"

EDIT December 21,2012 in reply to Anonymous comment below:
There are lots of good references on the web such as videohelp dot com and MyCE dot com, among others.
I used to like DVD Identifier (and still do), but it's database has not been updated for a couple years. But that doesn't bother me since all I burn are MCC 004s and it identifies those just fine.
-- I recommend using ImgBurn to write the discs and it will show you the manufacturer of your blank disc. A quick Googling of ImgBurn will get you to their site - Amazon keeps killing my links to ImgBurn dot com and other resources.

Verbatim branded MCC004s are manufactured in a few different countries and I have found subtle differences between those made in Taiwan and those in India. These are mostly cosmetic and the performance is not impacted - at least not in my experience and I've burned well over 1000 of these from both Taiwan and India and can count the coasters on one hand.
-- Bear in mind that I am talking about the Verbatim 95098 line specifically.
There are others that you should avoid. For instance, the "Life Series" is NOT manufactured to MCC standards using their proprietary AZO dye - rather, those are Moser Baer blanks that are branded Verbatim.
This is where some of the confusion comes in because Moser Baer (India) does manufacture some 95098s and others for MCC and those are OK because they are made to MCC specifications.

Bottom line: If you want a good blank disc, buy the Verbatim 95098 and make sure ImgBurn shows the the media code to be MCC 004 and you should be fine.
77 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2016
I experienced a 70 percent write error rate using this media - same problem using this media in many different machines so I am confident that it is bad media. This is particularly dangerous to a user if the media is used as to backup data. When writing video to this media the playback hangs. Confirmed it is the media by using different authoring software in different machines - same source files and scanning the source files on the hard drive(s) with data verification software.
This is particularly dangerous when you buy and download an authoring package or download your OS restore package which won't fit on CD's so you write it to the Verbatim DVD media and if your hard drive crashes you can't reinstall the OS.
In 30 years of data processing as an IT professional I have never encountered such a lapse in quality control.
Data is so precious I'd suggest buying another brand. There are lots to choose from.
on March 19, 2017
Hmm, they wont allow me to bun anything including music on windows media player or pictures so I'm not sure what's up with these ones. Maybe its my system, but I tried them on two different computers and they don't work. Try a different brand before you try these, I see many other people with the same problem as well. I would not buy these again and if I could go below one start then I would because it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.
on February 1, 2016
I bought 3 batches of these in 2015 - one in early 2015 from Microcenter, one in late 2015 from Microcenter, and one in late 2015 from Amazon. All 3 batches burned with severe errors according to Nero CD-DVD Speed. I wasn't even burning at 16X - I burned at 12X and 8X and still got a lot of PIF errors.

Then I burned one of the few remaining Verbatim DVD+R discs I have from 2011, and it was almost flawless. Verbatim DVD media used to be the best, but they are poor quality now. I had to try Taiyo Yuden for the first time, and even though they cost about twice as much, the burn quality is excellent. Beware though, I heard Taiyo Yuden is about to move production from Japan to China.
on June 6, 2017
This set of DVD+R discs was exactly what I was looking for and the cheapest price I could find for the quality and size of data. I was able to burn ISO bootable images into them and run them on startup without any additional diagnostics or trouble shooting. I wanted them for the installation of DBAN and Windows so I could work on computers.
on January 3, 2016
60% FAILURE RATE. Totally Unacceptable.
I burn at the slowest speed and still, I have had more failures with the Verbatim 4.7 GB discs than other discs. I tried these because I have great success with the Verbatim Dual Layer DVD Discs. You would think Single layer would be as good or better.
Yes, they are guaranteed and I could send the failed discs to them for replacement... But since they have my data on them it's better to destroy them and try again.

So fa, no response or explanation fro Verbatim.

Going back to Cheap No Name Discs.
on November 15, 2013
These seem to work for me, so far and so good. I back up a great deal of documents for storage and archives, to add to and delete and these do the job. I had mistakenly purchased the same brand of –R and they didn’t work at all for anything. When they stored data, I couldn’t access them at all again. However, with these, I’ve used these three times so far to store, change and delete and they worked without any issue, which for me is a great plus.
It seems that the the DVD -R are hit and miss. A lot of people have had success with them, and I and a number of others haven't. I bought a package of 100 dics and not one worked. I was able to store to some, but later I was not able to access them on two different laptops including the one I used to burn to. I am now using these +R without issues, so far on the same laptops, which are ACER Aspire's: one running Vista and the other running WIN 7.
Overall, they work for me, which means as long as they are made the same, I'll keep buying these DVD+R in the future. I will update review in future should something change.
on June 26, 2016
there ok
review image
on April 22, 2017
In my opinion, and apparently others (check out the reviews), the best single layer DVDs at the best price. Sounds like best value to me. Been using them for years without a problem. (True coasters have been almost non-existent for me. Usually these "coasters" are really my outputting things in a format which my programs or players can't use.) I know that supposedly DVD-R is more widely compatible, but I have never had a problem with these DVD+Rs.
on March 3, 2016
I had trouble with Sony disks, being scratched right from the new package. So I tried Verbatim. The first spindle was OK, but the second has pitted disks. Looks like 30% (at least) will be trashed.

Who makes these disks? They are "Verbatim branded", but who really makes them? Are they the same who make Sony? Do I need to find a new way to make backups? Can I expect quality to continue to decline? Is this a dead technology, or is the manufacturer trying to kill it prematurely?

UPDATE: It turns out that Amazon sent the wrong part number. I ordered 97459 but received 95098. I ended up throwing away 40 of the disks, 38 because they were visibly scratched at the factory. The other two had I/O errors after writing (one had visibly distorted dye). Amazon refunded 1/3 the price. I should have asked for more. Photos added to show visible scratches and pit marks fresh from the package.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. You can't be sure where they were made, and there appears to be no quality control.