Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB 16x AZO Recordable Media Disc - 50 Disc Spindle
Size: 50-Disc|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on May 3, 2018
Yes, the packaging states you can burn up to 16X, and if you're in a rush, I guess you need to push the envelope. But - if you just slow down and burn at the slowest available speed (2X is the lowest option I have) you'll find an amazing success rate. I shoot video for local high school musical productions and have to burn 60-80 discs per show. Using my 2008 (yes, you read that correctly) iMac, my failure rate is zero. Pretty incredible in my opinion. I'm using Burn software (free) and the video programs are approx. 117 minutes long, so it's a full disc. At 2X I'm still cranking 'em out at 1 copy per 20 minutes. Worth the wait, as I've never had a single self-tested reject - or a reject from a paying customer. In my opinion, great, reliable and reasonably priced media. Hope this helps!
6 people found this helpful
on February 11, 2017
I ordered 2 100 packs of these DVD-R's less than three months ago. I returned the first pack back one month ago because it took the first month to realize the first pack had MORE THAN 35 DEFECTIVE DISCS. I attempted to try to use the second pack. From the middle of January to less than the middle of February, MORE THAN 50 of the discs in the second set of 100 discs were unusable. Because I tried to use them before sending them back, "NO REFUND IS AVAILABLE." While trying to open each disc, messages appeared such as:
1. "Recording Error...Cannot record on this disc E65c040901;" 2. "Recording Error...Cannot record on this disc E65c040301;" 3."Can not record...Power Calibration is full;" 4. "Disc Error;" 5. "Please eject the disc...Playback feature not available;" 6. AND, the most frustrating message came AFTER 'recording' more than two hours on several different disc, "Cannot record on this disc."
6 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 15, 2015
The Verbatim name was one that you could always count on in the past for good quality discs. I cannot say that anymore, in fact my advice would be to run as fast as you can from these. I ordered these and received them yesterday all set for a couple hours of recording onto them, first one on the stack failed to format. I had read previous comments stating that very fact - how too many are coasters anymore. But there were so many recent positive reviews that I took my chance with these. I truly regret that decision now. Obviously someone is being paid to give this junk a positive review. So to sum up a long story I choose a disc from the center of the stack, same deal, would not format. So far I have 8 new coasters and one successful burn. I would love to return these to Amazon for a refund, as the fail to success ratio is very lopsided. I notice that these were made in Taiwan, not Japan like they previously were. I will never ever waste my money or time on this brand again. Run away from these – believe me before you too are disappointed and stuck with some expensive coasters.
32 people found this helpful
|1111 comments|Report abuse
on June 9, 2017
I needed an alternative to the TDK DVD-R disks that I used for several years. The reason for the switch was not because I was unhappy with TDK disks because TDK disks worked flawlessly. Instead, I was unable to find TDK disks on Amazon that were sold at the same price point I was accustomed to paying, and more importantly, because TDK DVD-R disks were just unavailable from virtually any vendor. It seems that TDK is no longer manufacturing these disks, and those that are available are being sold at an added premium.

With some trepidation, I sought a reliable alternative to TDK because no one wants to be using unreliable optical disks to archive computer data or to store precious photos and video files. I mention these facts because of several failures of SONY DVD-R disks I used for these purposes.

After reading Amazon reviews and taking into consideration Verbatim's excellent reputation, I chose to use these and have been happy ever since. Why? No disk failures!

Based on my experience, I recommend use of this brand to meet most archival storage needs.
on June 10, 2017
I have used Verbatim DVD-R discs in the past and had no problems. I was able to record on them using my TV dvd player and play them back on my computer dvd drive. But I ordered these Verbatim discs recently from Amazon and they would not play back on my computer dvd drive. The computer dvd drive can't read them and spits them out. As a test, to make sure it was not a problem with the computer dvd drive, I recorded on a Verbatim DVD-R disc that I had purchased in the past and it played back perfectly on my computer. I wish that I had checked the reviews before I ordered them because I see that other people had the same problem. It is too bad because Verbatim discs used to be a good product. I am returning these for a refund.
on June 5, 2016
Good price.

Disclaimer:
I am under no obligation to provide a positive review and received no incentives or rewards for doing so. My aim is to highlight features and drawbacks that I would want to know about as a buyer, not hype the product for the manufacturer to increase sales. My remarks are sincere and true. I work very hard trying to write insightful and thoughtful reviews for each item. My hope is that these reviews are helpful to others. If it did not, please comment with how I can improve; this helps me to be a better reviewer. While it is true that many items are received at discounted rates or complimentary, my reviews are completely unbiased as well as honest and are my personal experiences and opinion of the product. Once again, it is just my own opinion and experience with the product, your own opinion and experience may vary. I received no monetary compensation and not required to give a good review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission Guidelines on Testimony and Advertising
on July 30, 2016
Very happy so far with the quality of these Discs. I have been experimenting with backing up my movies and preparing them to view on my iPad, Android or PC. Here is what I found so far:

I can fit 4 MP4s on a disc OR one DVD Movie using MPEG2 with a bitrate of 4,000 When I did it at the default 9000 it said I did not have enough room on the disk. My intent was to gradually increase the bitrate for better quality until I could go no higher. But then I did some research and found I could be using BOV which then eliminated the step of adjusting the bitrate. All went well and it was much simpler.

I have not tried to fit more than one movie yet and I am not sure it is even necessary for me. Although I do intend to experiment a bit more. I am a little rusty at burning DVDs (It's been a very long time). and since I had to do a little research I wanted to put it out there for anyone else in the same boat. Hope it helps eliminate some steps.

It may be possible I can fit more than 4 MP4s and I will update my review if I find I can. So far no coasters.
on September 16, 2016
Been using Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R disc since the burners became available. I use them for secondary backups (hard drives as primary) and for videos and movies sent to family. Periodically I get a bad copy but that is true of every brand; Verbatim is no worse than any other brand and has been better than some and much better than some. My copies are for personal use and are made on my home computers. I do have multiple burners available and when I have a problem I switch burners or readers depending on the problem - usually the problem reading a burnt disc has been due to the heads being aligned different between the burner and the reader; sometimes the problem is the software being used or even the hardware. Overall I like Verbatim disc, will continue to use them and I highly recommend them.
on June 28, 2015
I've used this Verbatim media in the past, but I'd been using other brands since my last go-around with these. I burn a lot of DVD media. I mainly use these to write operating system ISO's (software images) to bootable media to give to PC clients, but I've also been using these a lot lately for data archival purposes.

I've probably burned in upwards of 2,000 of these Verbatims over the years, and I can't recall one time where I've had to chuck a coaster into the trash can. I'm not saying these discs are 100% perfect and never fail--all computer media, by the pure nature of it, has some kind of failure rate and will eventually fail at some point--but my experience with this DVD media has certainly been outstanding.

If you're on the fence about buying these compared to another brand, here's what I can tell you about brands I've used compared to these Verbatim DVD's:

-HP DVD media should not exist, period. I've used it while working for a retail partner that used the HP Retail Photo Solutions package and have lost track of how many coasters I've had with the regular blue-label media.
-Maxell's media is generally good, but you'll pay a premium price for it.
-Memorex DVD's are inexpensive, but you're likely to have 10 or more coasters if you buy a spindle of 100.
-Sony media seems to be pretty decent with minimal coasters, but the unit cost per disc is pretty high and reflective of having the Sony name on the label.

All of these brands can be found on the shelf of your local 24-hour big-box store, so if you're in a time crunch and need DVD media at 4 in the morning, these are pretty much your only option. If time is not a factor, buy a spindle or two of these Verbatim DVD's, and stop worrying about coasters.
on August 15, 2016
There are many different types of DVDs you can buy. The reason some last many, many years, while others degrade and become unreadable after just a few years, has to do with the kind of backing that they use. This backing also explains why different DVDs have different colors- it's the type of backing. Verbatim uses a good-quality one that lasts many years. It also claims to have a lifetime warranty. So far, all the DVDs I have burned have appeared to be flawless. Regarding the +DVD vs -DVD debate, there's not a lot of difference between the two, and you can find out more easily online.