Industrial Deals Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Verbatim 4.7GB up to 16x Branded Recordable Disc AZO DVD-R 50-Disc Spindle 95101
Size: 50-Disc|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on July 30, 2016
Very happy so far with the quality of these Discs. I have been experimenting with backing up my movies and preparing them to view on my iPad, Android or PC. Here is what I found so far:

I can fit 4 MP4s on a disc OR one DVD Movie using MPEG2 with a bitrate of 4,000 When I did it at the default 9000 it said I did not have enough room on the disk. My intent was to gradually increase the bitrate for better quality until I could go no higher. But then I did some research and found I could be using BOV which then eliminated the step of adjusting the bitrate. All went well and it was much simpler.

I have not tried to fit more than one movie yet and I am not sure it is even necessary for me. Although I do intend to experiment a bit more. I am a little rusty at burning DVDs (It's been a very long time). and since I had to do a little research I wanted to put it out there for anyone else in the same boat. Hope it helps eliminate some steps.

It may be possible I can fit more than 4 MP4s and I will update my review if I find I can. So far no coasters.
on September 16, 2016
Been using Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R disc since the burners became available. I use them for secondary backups (hard drives as primary) and for videos and movies sent to family. Periodically I get a bad copy but that is true of every brand; Verbatim is no worse than any other brand and has been better than some and much better than some. My copies are for personal use and are made on my home computers. I do have multiple burners available and when I have a problem I switch burners or readers depending on the problem - usually the problem reading a burnt disc has been due to the heads being aligned different between the burner and the reader; sometimes the problem is the software being used or even the hardware. Overall I like Verbatim disc, will continue to use them and I highly recommend them.
on August 15, 2016
There are many different types of DVDs you can buy. The reason some last many, many years, while others degrade and become unreadable after just a few years, has to do with the kind of backing that they use. This backing also explains why different DVDs have different colors- it's the type of backing. Verbatim uses a good-quality one that lasts many years. It also claims to have a lifetime warranty. So far, all the DVDs I have burned have appeared to be flawless. Regarding the +DVD vs -DVD debate, there's not a lot of difference between the two, and you can find out more easily online.
on September 13, 2016
My DVD recorders usually aren't too fussy about the brand or type of disc they will record to. I decided to try Verbatim because Maxell was out of stock. Two recorders rejected 3 of the first 9 Verbatim discs. I'll be looking into a return on the remaining Verbatim discs.
UPDATE (Beware of these!): After the first 10 discs, things seemed to be OK. The recorders accepted all the rest.
Now the bad part! I often don't fill a disc right away since I prefer the same program or topic on each disc.Guess what? If they aren't finalized promptly, they won't finalize! I will have quite a lot to do copying the Verbatim content onto far more reliable Philips DVD-R media.
I wish I could give the Verbatim product ZERO stars!
on May 31, 2016
Ya know, I originally bought these almost 5 years ago and I probably still have a few laying around. I just read some recent reviews on here about this and I don't know if the quality has gone down since I purchased them but I can tell you that these worked very well for me and I wouldn't use any other brand. However, the DVD-R is quickly becoming a thing of the past because I can not even recall the last time I needed to burn something to a disc. Perhaps there are large pockets in the world still doing this but I don't back up anything to disc anymore, but flash or NAS drives. Anyway, long story short, these were quality for me when I purchased them!
on December 4, 2014
These have one subtle feature which I have not seen described elsewhere: they are tough to burn. In an older machine, such as the Pioneer DVR-231/AV with perhaps 2500 burns, you may find that it takes four burns to get one that works. The Pioneer often has the buffers lock up, and you need to detach from the power then. With the AZO it will appear to record, but then there is nothing apparently written into the directory. Or it will "shut-off" after a few seconds. With Verbatim Life or TDKs, no problems with the Pioneer - about 1 "bad" burn every 200-300 disks, which could be a defect on the disk. In general, you apparently cannot use the AZOs in such an older machine. With the Magnavox MDR 537H or equivalent, even though I have about 2000 burns, no detectable problems so far - no "disappearing directories" yet. But while these may be more stable than an ordinary disk, it appears that they need a fresh laser to properly burn them. They are, indeed, apparently a "tougher burn" than an ordinary DVD. Get a box of 50 first to test compatibility with your machine.
on October 13, 2014
The convenience of having DVDs available is something you cannot describe. When you dont have them, and have to go to the grocery store for one, you can pay as much for 1-2 as you do for 50 like these. So I always like to make sure I have them.

These are top of the line, and exceptional for the price. Verbatim has made magnetic media since day one, about 40 years or so and is the best. Many have come and gone in that time, but verbatim remains.

I have gone through a few of these spindles over the years and I think with using over 100 of these I had ONE that didn't work. It could have been my fault or my dvd player too, not sure, but my point is that they are almost perfect and you can depend on the fact that if you need one, its going to work.
on January 29, 2016
This "DVD-R 100-Disc FFP 97460" batch is made in Taiwan with a medium ID: CMC Mag AM3.
Supposedly it has to have a superior quality in comparison to the batch from India or United Arab Emirates (UAE). Yet they are not!
Out of 50 discs, 3 did not pass the verification process after burning with Nero Ultra 2014, Image Burn, and Gear Pro Burning. I chose to pay the premium price for this particular brand of DVD-R because I had great impression of 100% success in burning video 10+ years ago. But I am now very disappointed at the low quality of this particular batch.
I use these media for burning DVD-A that I author for used with my Denon DVD-5910 and Marantz DV9500. Thus I only set the burning speed at 8X to ensure the disc can be played by both players without issues, and 43 succesfully burned discs passed both players except 3 failed ones. These 3 failed the reading test right around the outermost edges ~98%. When scanning the disc surface, Nero reported ~16 bad sectors on the discs, which is enough to cause both my players to stall. When I physically inspect the failed discs under the loupe, I have found irregular spots, which appeared to be bubbles in the dye. Evidently this is the issue of bad quality control, which have never been found (by me) in batches made in Taiwan.
Over the past 10 years, I only used TDK+R (gray surface) bought from Costco and Amazon. Despite being a budget line of recordable media made by BAYER in India, these cheap discs have never failed me. In fact I have never had a single coaster out of ~600-700 burnings. The reason I chose to switch back to this Verbatim brand simply because my newly bought Marantz refuses to read DVD+R.
I am going to finish this spindle to find out how many more will suffer similar quality issue. If the failure rate exceeds 5%, I will return my second spindle, which I ordered right after I have learned that these were made in Taiwan instead of India or UAE.
I'll update this review with latest results.
on February 5, 2016
Have tried to use only 25 of the hundred, 22 were rejected within 85 seconds of record start (Hi Speed mode on Pioneer DVD recorder.) These are even much worse than the previous 100 Sony units I purchased a couple of months ago, where only 42 of the 100 worked! Where in the world are these things made? Before purchasing either of the above, I had very good luck with two sleeves of Sony DVD-Rs purchased locally (Target) but they've stopped carrying them now. Where can one go for reliable blank DVD media these days?
3 helpful votes
on March 9, 2015
How the mighty have fallen...Verbatim USED to be the gold standard for blank DVDs... but this latest batch had error after error..when they would burn at all...and no, it's NOT the fault of my burner, since other discs have worked just fine. Very disappointed, not to mention a complete waste of $$$
4 helpful votes