Green Split Pea Gazpacho
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups green split peas
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 ½ tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 mint sprigs, total stem length suggested to be at least 8”
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup Half & Half
- In medium size saucepan bring water to a boil and add split peas. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer peas until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Rinse saucepan. Using the same saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened (not browned) for a couple of minutes.
- Add broth and mint sprigs to the shallots, increase heat and bring to a boil. Add drained split peas and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes while flavors blend.
- Discard the mint and puree the soup in a large blender until velvety smooth. Be careful the mixture will be hot.
- Blend in the cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill to serve cold.
- Blend sour cream and half & half together to garnish, adding fresh mint strips if you desire.
Italian Lentil Salad with Green Split Peas
- 1 cup dry green split peas, rinsed
- 1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- ½ cup sliced stuffed green olives
- 2 cups chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped red radishes
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered)
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing (see recipe below)
- 2 tbs. dried dill
- 1 tbs. seasoned salt
In separate medium saucepans, cook peas in 2 ½ cups water and cook lentils in 2 ½ cups water, bringing each of them to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook each until tender, about 20-30 minutes. Drain. In a large bowl, combine peas and lentils with olive oil.
Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan, then add rice. Cover the saucepan and remove it from the heat. Let rice sit 5-6 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
To peas and lentils, add rice, olives, celery, radishes, red onion and cherry tomatoes. Add Italian dressing, dill, and seasoned salt; mix well, and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Green Split Pea & Basil Salad
- ½ cup dry split peas
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups Farfalle pasta (bow tie pasta)
- 5 cups water
- 5-6 green onion, sliced
- 1 container grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 7-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 fresh lemon squeezed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp lemon pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil and add split peas, reduce heat to a soft boil for approximately 25 minutes or until they are just tender. Drain and rinse until cool while preparing the remainder of the salad.
- Bring water to a boil, add pasta and reduce heat to a soft boil until pasta is cooked, but not over cooked. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil, minced garlic and oregano. Sauté until garlic becomes tender and slightly brown, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add the lemon juice, stir together and set aside until cool.
Place all ingredients together and toss with dressing, add some shredded cheese if you like and it is ready to serve.