Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 188 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 222 reviews
on January 24, 2015
I have both the floor and desk version of this lamp. You need this if you are a crafter or like to do jigsaw puzzles. I have found this invaluable as I have gotten older. If you are working with something in terms of close work or color work this does the trick. It is spectrum day light so there is no color distortion. I have seen other reviewers say that it gets hot. I have not noticed that. To preserve the bulb I turn it off when not in use. It has a high and low setting. I use the lower setting when I am doing puzzles and the higher setting for needlework and stitchery. Cannot say enough!
on December 2, 2016
This light has 3 settings: off, on, bright. I turn it on to bright when I get into my office in the morning and I noticed that it helps because when I was out sick this past week, I felt sad for no reason. The difference was remarkable. I ordered a light therapy lamp for home too.

For the office, it's sleek, nondescript and fits in with any decor. It is solidly made and I trust Verilux. My coworker has the older version of the same lamp and it still works well. I highly recommend it if you suffer from SAD (or are a transplant from a tropical climate to a snowy, dark climate for winter), or if want to better sync your circadian rhythm.
on March 3, 2010
Hello all!

I bought the lamp some months ago. And I think it is one of the best investments ever made. I am a European exchange student at UCSD. For my graduate work, I have to do a lot of reading and stay a lot of time in front of the computer.

This lamp is really great for this purpose.

Design. It is bigger as it looks in the photo. Also my house-mates, my friends and I really like the design of this lamp (I have to add I was unsure whether to buy this lamp because I did not like the shape that I saw on the web picture).

Quality of the light. I am awake and read often until the morning hours and this lamp always keeps me company. Also tonight, first I was looking at the computer for some minutes and I had some eye strain (without the lamp). Immediately I took the lamp from my room, positioned it again near my computer and , voilà, I can work without problems.The quality of the light is really good.

Overall, I think this a great product. When I go to my friends and I have to study, I nearly wanted to take the lamp with me in order that I can read in the night without problems. I think that that explains it all!

Based on my experience, I really recommend this lamp
on March 22, 2016
I LOVE this lamp! I use it at work. The fluorescent ceiling lights give me a headache so I turn them off. I purchased a different verilux lamp with only an "on" switch. The light was too bright so I returned that lamp. This lamp has a high and low toggle switch. It costs a bit more but this feature is well worth it. I use the low setting which is about 100 watts vs. 150. The low setting is perfect for me. I have recommended it to a friend. My only regret is that I didn't purchase it a year ago.
on June 3, 2017
This lamp lives up to the Verilux reputation. I've had Verilux eyeglasses, so I was familiar with the brand. I needed this for an area where I watch TV and read, but it is easily portable. Unlike regular lamps for a desk or end table, this is easy to use, move, and adjust. Fulfilled my needs and expectations.
on April 23, 2010
Just received this lamp. Fast overnight delivery through Amazon Prime. I set it up right next to my computer monitor. It adds a bright light right over my central work area. I generally either have my wireless keyboard or papers in this spot. Note that the light really doesn't cover my whole desk, but directs light only to the central area. This works fine for me, but may be an issue for others. I have a large monitor (Apple 23" Cinema Display) with a crystal screen. As I'm typing, I see no glare in the screen from the Verilux. I rate it only 4 stars because the design is a little clunky, kind of 1980s. Verilux has other lamps using the same type bulb that are more streamlined, but they are also more money. I'd like to see a slim, modern brushed design for about the same price as this one. All in all, though, it's a great lamp and I recommend it.
on April 26, 2015
I bought two of these lamps in 2011. They produced very nice light until early 2015 when both of them went dark within a couple of months of each other. I ordered VERILUX replacement bulbs (not a cheaper knockoff) and neither lamp will work with either of the bulbs. I called the Verilux company and was told that if the lamp won't turn on with the new bulb(s), then the lamp itself is the problem. So I guess I would have to plan to buy a new lamp every 3+ years if I want to use this product. Now I'm sitting here with two unusable replacement bulbs and nothing to put them in. I'm NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER and I will never buy this product again. The only reason I'm giving two stars instead of one is because the original lamps did give a nice light.
on October 26, 2013
I bought this Verilux lamp mistakenly believing it to be one that emitted SAD-reducing UV light, but that's my mistake, not the advertising's - Verilux DOES produce a line of UV lamps, but I didn't read the product description closely enough. Oops!

Nevertheless, I decided to keep the lamp as a bedside reading light. The light does not have a huge range and certainly won't light up a room, but my eyes are definitely not as fatigued using it to read by, compared to a standard CFL or fluorescent light.

One of the biggest cons I have about the lamp's design, however, is its form. The base is huge and rounded, taking up a lot of space on my nightstand, but not allowing the placement of any items on its base (like...glasses, chapstick, books, or anything else you might want to put on your nightstand). Its neck is strong, though, and able to support the weight of the lamp steadily, though.

PROS:
* Comfortable reading light that reduces eye fatigue when reading non-backlit material.
* Strong neck design enables flexible lamp position that keeps its position steadily.

CONS:
* Huge rounded base takes up a lot of surface space and disallows putting anything else on it.

NOTES:
* Not one of the UV-emitting lamps that combat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or Vitamin D deficiency. Look at the rest of Verilux's lamp line for those!
on January 15, 2014
I purchased this lamp in 2004. The original bulb just blew out after years of heavy use (Jan. 2014). This product has proven to be a great investment, as well as being my favorite lamp. I have sensitive eyes, so the choice of lamp takes on great importance. As a writer/editor/designer, I spend long hours doing close work. This lamp gives me the light I need in a diffused way that does not cause eye strain, even when I get cracking on an important chapter that ends up taking longer than I expected. I am now straining under the glare of a normal desk lamp. I will be counting the minutes until my replacement bulb arrives.
on January 4, 2015
This is a fabulous lamp. We already had four of them at home and purchased this one and another one a few months ago as gifts for family members. It is so good for your eyes, has amazing natural light, and the bulb lasts for years. It is especially beneficial for people with eye issues, e.g., near sighted with glasses or contact lenses.