Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 192 reviews
on March 23, 2015
I must say, this album has made me a deadhead. The musicianship is of the highest order. How these guys got so good is beyond me. They were one of the few psychedelic groups of the Sixties that didn't crash and burn. Jerry Garcia is a virtuoso. The lyrics and arrangements are great. Sit back and enjoy one of the premier music groups of all time. I'm sure Wolfy would love these guys.
on August 3, 2006
I've never been a "Dead Head". Had no desire to see them in concert and never bought an album...until now. I was listening to the "Classic Rock" radio station when "Ripple" came on. I was humming it to myself thinking, " What a great tune this is". I logged on to my favorite on-line music source and checked out the selections and decided that it's time to chuck my attitude. Sure it's entertaining to make fun of Dead Heads, but This is a band that was an instrumental part of the sixties and not to be overlooked. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed hearing all those cherries, aside from "Touch Of Gray" I like every song on the disc. I think this is the must-have choice for anyone who's NOT a Dead-Head, but still likes their tunes.
on August 18, 2017
If you're a fan of the Dead and don't already have a solid copy in your vinyl collection, this best of will do the job. Sound quality and print are on point. No complaints.
on March 14, 2009
I've had the privelege of hearing the Dead live dozens of times. For me, any one of the live recordings, Great as they are, do not capture the thrill of hearing a given rendition for the first time. After repeated playings, the fun of hearing the tune done IN A DIFFERENT WAY (the heart of what they did) is gone. But this collection presents iconic versions (blueprints, if you will) of many of the tunes commonly played live. When I listen to these, it brings back ALL the times I heard live versions. Yes, this is a good introduction for the uninitiated, but is also, at least for this fan, a collection of seeds from which many sweet memories grow.

So for we who took a powder keg and sealed our silver mines, this is a cost effective collection. The remastering is breathtaking too, allowing one to hear these iconic tunes fine detail without having to (re)buy a bunch of CDs. For recreating the live experience, the multi-channel DVDs provide a better approximation of the experience than any of their CDs anyway.
on January 21, 2017
A nice mixture of the Dead's music over the years! You could argue they should've put this song or that song on here, but we'd still be arguing and this LP wouldn't be out yet!
on December 31, 2011
Grateful Dead / The Very Best of Grateful Dead: I am not a deadhead but I like the band and the whole San Francisco scene. The Grateful Dead are best heard live and so I bought the great CD live set titled "Ladies & Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead", which is the only live set I own (and it is terrific). However, the Grateful Dead did make some great studio tracks and the best of those tracks are on this "The very best of..." CD. The 17 tracks on this CD make it long enough to enjoy the music without it becoming tiring. This is a Great best of CD for us casual fans.
Five Stars.
on July 2, 2014
If you're like me, and you weren't born in the time of the Dead, then you are probably looking for some easy way to get introduced to all their hits THEN delve into the massive amount of music they had

While I started with American Beauty (great album) and then took a look at other tracks, this album actually had a lot of my favorite songs on one disc! With great tracks like "Friend of the Devil" "Casey Jones" or my favorite "Sugar Magnolia" you will be well acquainted with the great music that is the Grateful Dead

There are 17 songs on it and each masterfully reflect what the Dead were capable of. If you're a new fan I think this is a great place to start and would definitely get you started on the right foot

Plus, who doesn't like the cool artwork!?
on August 27, 2015
good
on October 8, 2013
I own both CDs. "Skeletons" I bought probably 10+ years ago and "Very best" just this year. I was just too lazy to burn a CD from the G.D. songs I had on my computer plus the Amazon auto-rip service puts this right in my cloud player to listen to on my work computer. This greatest hits version is the one to buy. More songs, but curiously doesn't include "Turn on your love light" which is a highlight from "Skeletons".
on June 30, 2017
A good selection of the Dead's more trendy songs.