Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

The Best Of The Moody Blues
Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 13, 2017
This is an excellent overview of a great, strange bad. It is (or was when it was released) the only greatest hits collection from the Moody Blues to contain their first hit, Go Now, with Denny Laine. It's basically a collection of singles, but if you want more than that, you probably already own their albums. For the casual fan, this is the only disk you need.
on April 10, 2017
Most beautiful songs. Real music for nice people
on December 17, 2017
The older tracks were not treated well on this disc. I have other discs where these songs sound good. Try This Is The Moody Blues for a much better sound on the older tracks.
...but I feel that The Moody Blues are vastly underrated. When people speak of classic rock bands, they mention Beatles, Stones, Doors, Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Eagles, Aerosmith, Police, Van Halen - but rarely The Moody Blues. The fact is, the MB's were an important presence on rock radio from the late 60's to the mid-80's, producing work that spanned a staggering variety of musical styles, most of it done with utmost complexity, precision and taste. I'm ashamed to admit that I remember hearing some of these songs through the years without even knowing they were by the MB's.

The first track on this collection, "Go Now", is a bluesy pop tune which announced their arrival in the British Invasion but provides not a clue of the brilliance to come. It is simple in style and the sound is rather primitive. But the second cut, "Tuesday Afternoon", puts us on the right track. From their very unique concept album "Days Of Future Passed", it fuses orchestral music with rock, the thing to do in that psychedelic era, as does "Nights In White Satin", also from that album. Moving on, I won't try to describe in detail every track, but just to summarize them while pointing out the similarities and differences the listener will encounter. The prevailing sound can be heard in "Ride My See-Saw", "Question", "The Story In Your Eyes", "I'm Just A Singer In A Rock And Roll Band", and "The Voice". They have in common a driving beat, an abundance of classic rock guitar blending with classical instrumental sounds, and excellent vocal harmonies. Still, they have their own identities. "Question" contains a slower mid-section, then returns to rock. "Story In Your Eyes" and "I'm Just A Singer" feature more prominent piano. "The Voice" includes intricate whispers of synth sounds. Of the other tracks, "Isn't Life Strange" is very strange indeed. It is slow, starting out achingly fragile, like pre-Disco Bee-Gees, but later alternates that with stronger, louder sections. "Blue Guitar" is also slow, with guitar that makes you think Eric Clapton might have wandered into the session. "Steppin' In A Slide Zone", once it heats up, leans toward folk, without losing its rock basis. "Forever Autumn" is also folk-like and really quite beautiful. "Gemini Dream", absolutely one of my favorite tracks, ventures into new territory. It has a VERY heavy beat, with instrumentation and vocalization perhaps influenced by the Disco of the time. I say this because to me the track has as much in common with Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" and late-70's ELO as it does with previous MB recordings. "Blue World" is smooth and glossy, with prominent synth, again leaning toward a dancier track. After a few years' absence, the band made a nostalgic return in the MTV era with "Your Wildest Dreams" and "I Know You're Out There Somewhere". These are similar to "The Voice" in overall style but lighter in a mainstream way, probably tailored for the new public, which included "maturing" fans as well as younger fans not so accustomed to the creative sophistication of the MB's prior work. Finally, the only track I really don't like is "Voices In The Sky", which I find too soft and sweet for my taste.

I've tried, and maybe failed, to describe the variety and excellence this band achieved; only by hearing the music itself can you appreciate what I am feeling and trying to say. If I had to describe them in a few words, I would say "poetic, mysterious, spacey, dramatic, philosophical". I always heard that ELO was what The Beatles would have become if they had stayed together, but I think The Moody Blues would also be contenders for that distinction.
22 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The Moody Blues is one of those groups that just has staying power. Back in the early 60's they grabbed my heart with GO NOW - a tune that has not dated and is just as driving today as it was years ago.
But they went on to demonstrate they were much more than a simple rock band, creating poetry to music in Nights in White Satin, Story in Your Eyes, Voice And The Question. Justin Heywood proved this even more with the beautiful and haunting Forever Autumn. They also showed they had a wee touch of tongue through cheek in I'm Just A Singer (in a rock 'n' roll band).
Then, coming into a third decade of rocking, they showed their romantic side with I Know You're Out there Somewhere and In My Wildest Dreams.
So this album is a definite best of the BEST....just missing So Deep Within You....
Have found no matter how foul of a mood I am in, put on the Moody Blues and suddenly you are singing and your spirits are soaring!!
The Moody Blues are medicine for the soul!
on March 23, 2006
I just want to say that this collection is Par Excellent! The Moody Blues are without a doubt one of the BEST, if not THE absolute BEST band of the 60's, 70's and 80's. And I truly believe that they belong right up there with the likes of The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, CCR, and any other bands or artists that you can name from that era.

This CD is nothing less than awesome and incredible. On a final note though, I would like to comment on the first track which is included on this CD collection. I must say, I do not consider the song, "Go Now" to fully represent the essence of what the Moody Blues were eventually to become. Besides, you can hear a much better version of "Go Now" on Paul McCartney and Wings over America (a live 2 or 3 record set that they recorded sometime in the mid 70's). So I consider this to be a Denny Laine/Wings song, not a Moody Blues song. All that aside, it really isn't such a great song anyway, and it certainly does not fit in here on this collection in any way conceivable. I always skip that song (I actually have a playlist I have created of the remaining 16 tracks from this CD on my iPod, which doesn't follow the CD/album order, anyway). But aside from that first track, there really isn't anything more to complain about here. And these guys are absolutely awesome --- they were/are arguably the best contemporary band of the 60's, 70's, and 80's! I highly recommend this CD collection!
on January 8, 2013
I recently purchased this cd for a friend of mine. He loves it and listens to it every day The cd is a good one with a lot of their best songs on it. If I didn't have this on a record album I would of purchased it for myself. If you like the Moody Blues and their music this is a good cd to buy and have. They have quite a few good songs on this cd's. Most cd's you get one or two good songs on it this one has a lot of their hits on it. It is a good cd to have. Thank you Sandy McClaflin
on November 16, 2017
Beautiful scratch free CD. You cannot find these oldies but goodies anywhere other than Amazon at an amazing price and you are also helping out goodwill in a lot of these buys.
on February 28, 2018
I`ve always liked the Moody Blues Band.With Justin Hayward leading.I`m old school
on December 9, 2011
The sound quality on this album is just so-so. Some songs have varying volume and fade out at the end prematurely. Also, the epilogue to Nights in White Satin is not on this album, the poem "Breath deep gathering gloom..." this is why I bought this CD, after hearing that song on the radio. There are some good, classic songs on this one but the quality and missing part of my favorite song earn it just three stars.