Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,412 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,021 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 23, 2016
Even though we built quite a collection of children's books during the seven years I spent babysitting our three grandsons, it's always a delight to discover another to add. This one brought back memories of carefree summer days as a child, how exciting it was to find a caterpillar outside, to feel that little tickley sensation as it would move up my arm, and being amazed when my mother told me it would one day become a butterfly! I'm so pleased with this little board book that uses the life stages of a butterfly - from egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly - to teach counting, colors, days of the week, foods (not to mention a recipe for a stomach ache!) - very sturdily constructed, brightly illustrated, and at 7" x 5" and a hair less than an inch thick, it'll fit perfectly into the chubby little hands of our two year old little guy on his birthday!

The different sized pages in the middle of the book (after the caterpillar pops out of his egg on Sunday morning) showing different foods with holes punched in the centers to indicate where he's nibbled through them are darling - each page is thick enough that I think I'm going to cut a caterpillar-sized piece of green pipecleaner to give him so he can watch his very own caterpillar making its way through the one red apple he eats on Monday, two green pears on Tuesday, three purple plums on Wednesday, four red strawberries on Thursday, five bright orange oranges on Friday, and then the variety of multi-colored foods (probably not a caterpillar's scientifically accurate diet, but fun!) he eats on Saturday that leads to his stomache ache - chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon - goodness gracious!

On Sunday, he limits himself to one green leaf, builds his "small house, called a cocoon, around himself", stays in there for over two weeks before he emerges as a multi-colored butterfly, whose wingspan takes up the final two pages! Though we probably won't expect our grandson to comprehend the scientific term of metamorphosis, he'll certainly grasp that the caterpillar's transformation is magical - a pretty good description of the book itself!
on March 8, 2017
One of our favorite books. We spilt coffee on our first copy and had to buy a new one. Very cute, teaches counting and types of foods.
on November 28, 2015
Love the book. Bought it as a new product from Amazon however the book was worn and had scratches on it. That however is not a big deal as my kid will most likely try to eat the book anyways, the worst part was the text on the page where the caterpillar eats through all the junk food is missing a full line of text. It got chopped off somehow. Is this unique to the book I got? I don't know. Anyways, beware if you do buy this book, you may end up missing some words.
review image
on November 2, 2015
I didn't realize it was a small book - assuming it was full size like what we saw in the classroom.
on July 18, 2016
We love this book so much we decided to do our second child's nursery with The Very Hungry Caterpillar as a theme. Our oldest son had this book memorized at 2 years old because we read it at least once a night before bed for months.
on March 31, 2017
Another great addition for my great grandson. Thanks for the opportunity to send books to kids. Keep them reading or being read to.
on June 17, 2016
One of the best, most classic children's boo, out there! We loved it growing up and now our daughter will enjoy it as well. I always buy this for baby showers.
on April 13, 2017
Love this book. It was my son's first book and I buy it for other children now.
on April 14, 2017
Love this book!! A must have for any family with children!
on March 25, 2017