Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,403 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,009 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 23, 2016
Even though we built quite a collection of children's books during the seven years I spent babysitting our three grandsons, it's always a delight to discover another to add. This one brought back memories of carefree summer days as a child, how exciting it was to find a caterpillar outside, to feel that little tickley sensation as it would move up my arm, and being amazed when my mother told me it would one day become a butterfly! I'm so pleased with this little board book that uses the life stages of a butterfly - from egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly - to teach counting, colors, days of the week, foods (not to mention a recipe for a stomach ache!) - very sturdily constructed, brightly illustrated, and at 7" x 5" and a hair less than an inch thick, it'll fit perfectly into the chubby little hands of our two year old little guy on his birthday!

The different sized pages in the middle of the book (after the caterpillar pops out of his egg on Sunday morning) showing different foods with holes punched in the centers to indicate where he's nibbled through them are darling - each page is thick enough that I think I'm going to cut a caterpillar-sized piece of green pipecleaner to give him so he can watch his very own caterpillar making its way through the one red apple he eats on Monday, two green pears on Tuesday, three purple plums on Wednesday, four red strawberries on Thursday, five bright orange oranges on Friday, and then the variety of multi-colored foods (probably not a caterpillar's scientifically accurate diet, but fun!) he eats on Saturday that leads to his stomache ache - chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon - goodness gracious!

On Sunday, he limits himself to one green leaf, builds his "small house, called a cocoon, around himself", stays in there for over two weeks before he emerges as a multi-colored butterfly, whose wingspan takes up the final two pages! Though we probably won't expect our grandson to comprehend the scientific term of metamorphosis, he'll certainly grasp that the caterpillar's transformation is magical - a pretty good description of the book itself!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon April 17, 2016
My three-year-old twins received this book as a gift when they were newborns and we read it several times a week before bedtime. They never get tired of it! We have a few of Eric Carle's books besides this one but The Very Hungry Caterpillar is our favorite. The book tells the story about how a little caterpillar pops out of an egg and he is very hungry so he eats...and eats...and eats! At first he starts by eating one apple on Monday, then two pears on Tuesday,and so on but it isn't enough so each day he eats more and more until his stomach hurts because he ate too much. I won't spoil the ending because it's extremely cute and fun for my twins to look at.

We have the board book edition and it's held up extremely well over the past three years considering we are still on our first copy of it! The book measures seven inches by five inches and is a great size for small hands. There are 22 pages in the story which includes fun, beautiful pictures. Each set of pages has one or two sentences so it's a nice length for short attention spans. One thing that is really neat about this book is that since the caterpillar is eating through a number of foods, there are actual holes in the pages big enough for a finger so kids can have fun sticking their fingers through where the caterpillar has eaten. I also like the fact that during the first five days the caterpillar is eating one apple, two pears, three plums, etc. so we've also made this book into a counting story on occasion.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of my kids' favorite bedtime books and they love for me to read it to them! We love it so much we ordered it as a baby shower gift for a friend and she was pretty excited to receive it. I love the board book edition because it's very durable and we are still on our first copy after three years of twins looking at it quite a bit which is saying a lot! I can't say enough good things about this book and feel it would make a great gift for all babies and young children. I highly recommend it!
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2016
We had the paperback version of this classic story, but after a few years of frequent readings it was all torn and bent. I was so excited to find this story in board book format, so that we can read it repeatedly without worrying about tearing/bending the pages. The cardboard pages are thick and feature the holes through which the caterpillar ate. To make the story interactive, I made a small "caterpillar" out of pipe cleaners and as we read, she "feeds" him through the holes in the foods on the pages! It makes it so much more fun for her to read the story! The board book measures 7" x 5" and features the classic Eric Carle style tissue paper collage illustrations (note that is how he creates the look, there are no textured pages in this book).

The plot of the story takes you through the life cycle of a butterfly from egg to caterpillar to pupa to butterfly. I love how educational this story is and how perfect it is to initiate educational activities about butterflies with your child. We've read it so many times, but now that she's a bit older, we've created butterfly life cycle collages, done story sequencing activities with it, and we even purchased a live butterfly garden that allowed her to see how a real butterfly transforms Butterfly Garden Gift Set with Live Cup of Caterpillars. After the caterpillar emerges, he eats through a variety of foods before making a cocoon around himself and transforming into a butterfly.

We love this book and its educational value and highly recommend it!
on November 28, 2015
Love the book. Bought it as a new product from Amazon however the book was worn and had scratches on it. That however is not a big deal as my kid will most likely try to eat the book anyways, the worst part was the text on the page where the caterpillar eats through all the junk food is missing a full line of text. It got chopped off somehow. Is this unique to the book I got? I don't know. Anyways, beware if you do buy this book, you may end up missing some words.
review image
on March 8, 2017
One of our favorite books. We spilt coffee on our first copy and had to buy a new one. Very cute, teaches counting and types of foods.
on June 24, 2008
On the one hand, it's The Very Hungry Caterpillar - I love it (despite the upside-down butterfly on the last spread), I grew up with it, it's a great book.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it's a book very well-suited for board book format. The best feature of the book, the holes, are too small to be much fun, and the normal audience for board books is perhaps a little young to fully enjoy this one - it's too wordy without any narrative tricks (rhyme, meter, alliteration) to pull them in.

In retrospect, it would have been better to wait a few years and then just get the regular hardcover edition.
on January 7, 2014
"The Very Hungry Caterpillar" is one of my favorite interactive children's stories. I have adopted the tradition of buying classic children's stories and fairy tales to gift friends who are pregnant or have children of their own. Because of the popularity and relatively unchanged look of this story, it is considered a classic and can be quite expensive in book stores (hence, me buying this on Amazon.com). The book is available in several different formats but I always buy hardcover books for children as my hope is they will weather little hands. It has 32 pages with several half, third, and quarter pages as the caterpillar begins to eat through fruits and vegetables; bright, colorful illustrations, and a bound bead-board white cover (note: this cover can get dirty quickly!). The book is approximately 9" x 12" and has a wonderful message and story.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 2, 2015
This book is bound to become a classic like `Goodnight Moon.' It's a simple story of a little caterpillar who eats his way through a variety of foods, all the way through an apple and finally all the way through ten different snacks including an ice cream cone and a pickle; he gets an upset stomach, but he eats his way through a nice green leaf and is cured. But now he's a big, fat caterpillar and spins himself a cocoon and ultimately pushes out at a butterfly!

The illustrations of the foods he eats his way through each have hole in the page and my little two-year old relative happily pushes his finger into each hole and is learning to count. It gives him an activity when the book is read to him. He and his father enjoy it because of the little drama and overacting they can do as the story progresses. It's a really fine book for a two-year old.

The book itself is printed on heavy, coated card stock and the illustrations are charming.
The story is captivating for a young child and explains the process of morphosis, changing from a caterpillar into a butterfly. I read the larger version to my children and they loved it, as it was hands-on interactive. They were able to slip a finger into a cloth tube that resembled the action of the caterpillar.

This mini book is too small, in my opinion, for them to enjoy it the same way. While it may be a great idea for a parent who wants something small for the diaper bag or car, it just isn't practical and the experience is diminished.

The larger version rates five stars.
on June 17, 2016
One of the best, most classic children's boo, out there! We loved it growing up and now our daughter will enjoy it as well. I always buy this for baby showers.