Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Format: Board book|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 23, 2016
Even though we built quite a collection of children's books during the seven years I spent babysitting our three grandsons, it's always a delight to discover another to add. This one brought back memories of carefree summer days as a child, how exciting it was to find a caterpillar outside, to feel that little tickley sensation as it would move up my arm, and being amazed when my mother told me it would one day become a butterfly! I'm so pleased with this little board book that uses the life stages of a butterfly - from egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly - to teach counting, colors, days of the week, foods (not to mention a recipe for a stomach ache!) - very sturdily constructed, brightly illustrated, and at 7" x 5" and a hair less than an inch thick, it'll fit perfectly into the chubby little hands of our two year old little guy on his birthday!

The different sized pages in the middle of the book (after the caterpillar pops out of his egg on Sunday morning) showing different foods with holes punched in the centers to indicate where he's nibbled through them are darling - each page is thick enough that I think I'm going to cut a caterpillar-sized piece of green pipecleaner to give him so he can watch his very own caterpillar making its way through the one red apple he eats on Monday, two green pears on Tuesday, three purple plums on Wednesday, four red strawberries on Thursday, five bright orange oranges on Friday, and then the variety of multi-colored foods (probably not a caterpillar's scientifically accurate diet, but fun!) he eats on Saturday that leads to his stomache ache - chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon - goodness gracious!

On Sunday, he limits himself to one green leaf, builds his "small house, called a cocoon, around himself", stays in there for over two weeks before he emerges as a multi-colored butterfly, whose wingspan takes up the final two pages! Though we probably won't expect our grandson to comprehend the scientific term of metamorphosis, he'll certainly grasp that the caterpillar's transformation is magical - a pretty good description of the book itself!
22 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2014
All the reviews here about size and other issues confused the h*** out of me... so I'm going to help you all out and be extremely specific. I took a chance (since I'm overseas, I can't return it) and bought the Very Hungry Caterpillar Board Book w/ Plush Toy from Amazingsalebooks in used / like new condition for under seven bucks. It is a gift for an expectant mother. I am very happy with this purchase (see my pics). Everything came in like new condition as the seller stated -a relief, because I was reluctant to buy used for a book and plush toy meant for a newborn. Both were spotless, vibrant, and free of creases and markings). Even the gift box it comes in came relatively uncrushed (after traveling in my friend's suitcase through three countries). What I received appears to be a genuine Eric Carle product -the book I got is published by Philomel 1987 edition. I saw reviews where people complained about the print, maybe it was for a smaller edition; I found the print here to be fine. I would say it is about font size 16.

The book itself is cute and perfect to read for babies and toddlers (repetition teaching days of the week, numbers 1-7, fruits and other foods, and life cycle). The colors are very vibrant and the book has all the little holes (about the size of a standard hole punch... you won't be able to stick your fingers through, which also means baby can't rip it). It is a solid, sturdy, proper board book with smooth finished edges that I feel comfortable having a baby touch (or even if they suck on it before you notice and pull it out of their mouth).

The plush toy is also very well constructed with no loose seems and withstands gentle tugging on the ears, legs, and colored fringy hairs (of course you always need be careful with babies and choking on anything and not let them suck on this more than a moment or unsupervised).

Unrelated, I bought a cute Eric Carle baby rattle -see my other review if you are curious.
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 19, 2017
It's still awesome. This was my first book I read on my own as a child and likely contributed to my obsession with insects which turned into a major entomology hobby later on in life. While the basic idea of metamorphosis is presented well, obviously it's not totally accurate. However, my kids love this book anyway. Thanks to my entomological background, they grew up raising butterflies and moths, so they approach this book with familiarity and humor. All kids like the crazy food page too.
The format of the book was and will always be original and awesome. This book teaches days of the week, metamorphosis, time concepts, counting, it's kinesthetic and it's short...
Every kid should have this book
on December 19, 2017
As godmother of a two-year-old, I do a lot of reading aloud, and this is the favorite book of both of us. She is rapt through reading after reading, and I still like it myself. Part of the fun is exaggerating the voice when reading ". . . and he was still hungry!". It has totally escaped her notice that she is learning her numbers. I also recently purchased another copy for the 18-month-old daughter of a friend, and he reports she is crazy about it, too.
on August 3, 2017
my son is obsessed with this book, (he's 2) and he even sleeps with it. He loves the "bug-gy" (maybe some day he'll say 'caterpillar') but for now bug-gy is just fine.
The book is the story of a very hungry caterpillar who eats and eats and eats some more, and then sleeps in a cocoon (or a "cackoon" as my son says) and wakes up and emerges as a beautiful butterfly.
The book is short, but fun for littles.
Recommended 100%
This is one of the better ABC books out there. I only wish there weren't is much white space in the background of the pages. It just has the letters and a drawing of something starting with that letter. Many of his other books fill in the background with color (like Little Cloud), and I wish this one did the same. It's still a great book though.
on March 19, 2018
This is a much smaller version of the book than I expected (though I’m sure the dimensions of the book are listed under the description, I just didn’t think about how small that’s be) so it might be a good version for a small child, but it’s certanily not the normal size & not big enough to hold and read to a group of children. But still the cute same story and great price!

Note: Shipping was fast but whoever delivered it tried too hard to stuff it in my small community mail box and I almost ruined the book attempting to get it out (which obviously has nothing to do with the product but I’ve been very unhappy with the condition I’ve been receiving Amazon packages in lately.)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 18, 2017
One of my sons loves this book. It has some word repetition to help young readers, but the way the book was designed, it's also great at teaching numbers. some of the pages are shrunk to fit just one item and then the pages grow in size as the caterpillar eats through more and more food/pages and there are little holes through each food item. Children find it very amusing that there are "caterpillar" holes in the book. It also gives a little introduction to the days of the week.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2017
I think we can all agree that this book’s a winner. Ding! Ding! But it’s more than a gem of a book. Here comes an analogy. Like the caterpillar is for food, our youth is hungry for knowledge. Kansas City has been amping IT up by providing KC kiddos and non-profits like Turn the Page with the tools to satisfy their hunger. Reading proficiency is up and we cannot be more thrilled. Thrilled that books like Eric Carle’s are the reason for it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 4, 2017
Got this for my future nephew, due in 3 months. This was a classic that my mother read to me as a kid. With the memories it brought me, and the laughter involved. I wanted to pass that on to the next generation. Great instant Classic.