Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Format: Board book|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 23, 2016
Even though we built quite a collection of children's books during the seven years I spent babysitting our three grandsons, it's always a delight to discover another to add. This one brought back memories of carefree summer days as a child, how exciting it was to find a caterpillar outside, to feel that little tickley sensation as it would move up my arm, and being amazed when my mother told me it would one day become a butterfly! I'm so pleased with this little board book that uses the life stages of a butterfly - from egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly - to teach counting, colors, days of the week, foods (not to mention a recipe for a stomach ache!) - very sturdily constructed, brightly illustrated, and at 7" x 5" and a hair less than an inch thick, it'll fit perfectly into the chubby little hands of our two year old little guy on his birthday!

The different sized pages in the middle of the book (after the caterpillar pops out of his egg on Sunday morning) showing different foods with holes punched in the centers to indicate where he's nibbled through them are darling - each page is thick enough that I think I'm going to cut a caterpillar-sized piece of green pipecleaner to give him so he can watch his very own caterpillar making its way through the one red apple he eats on Monday, two green pears on Tuesday, three purple plums on Wednesday, four red strawberries on Thursday, five bright orange oranges on Friday, and then the variety of multi-colored foods (probably not a caterpillar's scientifically accurate diet, but fun!) he eats on Saturday that leads to his stomache ache - chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon - goodness gracious!

On Sunday, he limits himself to one green leaf, builds his "small house, called a cocoon, around himself", stays in there for over two weeks before he emerges as a multi-colored butterfly, whose wingspan takes up the final two pages! Though we probably won't expect our grandson to comprehend the scientific term of metamorphosis, he'll certainly grasp that the caterpillar's transformation is magical - a pretty good description of the book itself!
on December 26, 2014
All the reviews here about size and other issues confused the h*** out of me... so I'm going to help you all out and be extremely specific. I took a chance (since I'm overseas, I can't return it) and bought the Very Hungry Caterpillar Board Book w/ Plush Toy from Amazingsalebooks in used / like new condition for under seven bucks. It is a gift for an expectant mother. I am very happy with this purchase (see my pics). Everything came in like new condition as the seller stated -a relief, because I was reluctant to buy used for a book and plush toy meant for a newborn. Both were spotless, vibrant, and free of creases and markings). Even the gift box it comes in came relatively uncrushed (after traveling in my friend's suitcase through three countries). What I received appears to be a genuine Eric Carle product -the book I got is published by Philomel 1987 edition. I saw reviews where people complained about the print, maybe it was for a smaller edition; I found the print here to be fine. I would say it is about font size 16.

The book itself is cute and perfect to read for babies and toddlers (repetition teaching days of the week, numbers 1-7, fruits and other foods, and life cycle). The colors are very vibrant and the book has all the little holes (about the size of a standard hole punch... you won't be able to stick your fingers through, which also means baby can't rip it). It is a solid, sturdy, proper board book with smooth finished edges that I feel comfortable having a baby touch (or even if they suck on it before you notice and pull it out of their mouth).

The plush toy is also very well constructed with no loose seems and withstands gentle tugging on the ears, legs, and colored fringy hairs (of course you always need be careful with babies and choking on anything and not let them suck on this more than a moment or unsupervised).

Unrelated, I bought a cute Eric Carle baby rattle -see my other review if you are curious.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 31, 2017
It was a great gift to my grand daughter with the plush Catapillar.
on October 18, 2017
There's nothing negative to say about the Very Hungry Caterpillar!
on November 4, 2017
Bedtime ritual for our kids - such a cute and simple bedtime story
on December 8, 2017
Wanted my daughter to hear the story of the very hungry caterpillar..she loves it..great learning experience for all kids! Very colorful too
on December 17, 2017
MY GRAND DAUGHTER SAW THE PLAY AFTER THIS BOOK SO SHE KNEW THE CATERPILLAR
on August 5, 2017
You can't go wrong with Eric Carle. Grandkids LOVE this book.
on October 25, 2017
Get it. Kids love this book. Very memorable story and cool interactive pages.
on December 5, 2017
Bought to read it to my baby. My husband read it the other day loved it. Super cute.