BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by st vincent $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Format: Board book|Change

on August 23, 2016
Even though we built quite a collection of children's books during the seven years I spent babysitting our three grandsons, it's always a delight to discover another to add. This one brought back memories of carefree summer days as a child, how exciting it was to find a caterpillar outside, to feel that little tickley sensation as it would move up my arm, and being amazed when my mother told me it would one day become a butterfly! I'm so pleased with this little board book that uses the life stages of a butterfly - from egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly - to teach counting, colors, days of the week, foods (not to mention a recipe for a stomach ache!) - very sturdily constructed, brightly illustrated, and at 7" x 5" and a hair less than an inch thick, it'll fit perfectly into the chubby little hands of our two year old little guy on his birthday!

The different sized pages in the middle of the book (after the caterpillar pops out of his egg on Sunday morning) showing different foods with holes punched in the centers to indicate where he's nibbled through them are darling - each page is thick enough that I think I'm going to cut a caterpillar-sized piece of green pipecleaner to give him so he can watch his very own caterpillar making its way through the one red apple he eats on Monday, two green pears on Tuesday, three purple plums on Wednesday, four red strawberries on Thursday, five bright orange oranges on Friday, and then the variety of multi-colored foods (probably not a caterpillar's scientifically accurate diet, but fun!) he eats on Saturday that leads to his stomache ache - chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon - goodness gracious!

On Sunday, he limits himself to one green leaf, builds his "small house, called a cocoon, around himself", stays in there for over two weeks before he emerges as a multi-colored butterfly, whose wingspan takes up the final two pages! Though we probably won't expect our grandson to comprehend the scientific term of metamorphosis, he'll certainly grasp that the caterpillar's transformation is magical - a pretty good description of the book itself!
on December 26, 2014
All the reviews here about size and other issues confused the h*** out of me... so I'm going to help you all out and be extremely specific. I took a chance (since I'm overseas, I can't return it) and bought the Very Hungry Caterpillar Board Book w/ Plush Toy from Amazingsalebooks in used / like new condition for under seven bucks. It is a gift for an expectant mother. I am very happy with this purchase (see my pics). Everything came in like new condition as the seller stated -a relief, because I was reluctant to buy used for a book and plush toy meant for a newborn. Both were spotless, vibrant, and free of creases and markings). Even the gift box it comes in came relatively uncrushed (after traveling in my friend's suitcase through three countries). What I received appears to be a genuine Eric Carle product -the book I got is published by Philomel 1987 edition. I saw reviews where people complained about the print, maybe it was for a smaller edition; I found the print here to be fine. I would say it is about font size 16.

The book itself is cute and perfect to read for babies and toddlers (repetition teaching days of the week, numbers 1-7, fruits and other foods, and life cycle). The colors are very vibrant and the book has all the little holes (about the size of a standard hole punch... you won't be able to stick your fingers through, which also means baby can't rip it). It is a solid, sturdy, proper board book with smooth finished edges that I feel comfortable having a baby touch (or even if they suck on it before you notice and pull it out of their mouth).

The plush toy is also very well constructed with no loose seems and withstands gentle tugging on the ears, legs, and colored fringy hairs (of course you always need be careful with babies and choking on anything and not let them suck on this more than a moment or unsupervised).

Unrelated, I bought a cute Eric Carle baby rattle -see my other review if you are curious.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2017
“The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is one of the most creative children’s book I’ve read! I used to read this to my children when they were small and it was one of their favorites. The bright and colorful illustrations will grab a child’s (and an adult's) attention and keep it! Each time I read it to a little person, they love to place their small fingers over the Caterpillar-made holes through the foods he ate. The size of the board book edition is perfect for little hands and the durable, glossy texture makes it easy to clean crayon or marker smudges off the pages. The story of the Caterpillar eating tons of food before becoming a butterfly is adorable and this book is packed with teachable themes from science and colors to shapes and counting. It’s also great for arts and crafts prompts! I will definitely have to buy it again since it’s one of the most popular ones I have so far!
review image
on January 4, 2013
I used these letters + ribbon to make a Happy Birthday banner for my son. It worked well, the cards are on a medium thickness card stock, a bit thicker than index card thick, but not nearly so thick, say as the Eric Carle Letter Cards.

Each Letter is a circle that is 5 1/4" in diameter and brightly colored in the Eric Carle style of collage-y animal backgrounds, so not a solid background. They are very pretty. There are 72 alphabet tiles, and 8 animal tiles. There are 5 yards of ribbon that is in a light lilac/periwinkle blue, decent quality, some cotton-synthetic blend. Each letter circle has two little rectangular slats so that you can thread the ribbon through, that works very easily, there was no issue there. Because the letters are strung through two slats, they stay in position on the ribbon, but can easily be slid along to where you want them to go, they still in spot even if hung at an angle.

Here are the letter counts, there are:
5 - A, E
4 - H, O
3 - B, C, D, G, I, L, M, N, P*, R, S, T, Y*
2 - F, J, K, U, V, W
1 - Q, X, Z
* = After spelling 'Happy Birthday' you'll have only one 'P' and one 'Y' left, in case that's important to your child's name.

The animals are on a white background, and, as expected, are the Eric Carle animals: Caterpillar, Butterfly, Frog, Elephant, Bear, Hippo, Peacock, and Giraffe

The package itself is a small format, at 7"x5.5", nice presentation. Made in China for those who are interested.

It worked really well for us, I was surprised actually, I wasn't expecting a lot, but really liked the results, and received compliments.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2017
I saw this at a local store and handed it to my 2 (now 3) yr old bc he loves caterpillars.. I think a big part of it because on his tablet they are always eating and he loves to eat, especially fruits. He opened it up and started telling me the story! Apparently he had learned the whole book by watching videos on his tablet. Anyway I bought it here and now he reads it to me at night lol I will also read it to him and change words in it and he will laugh and tell me noooooo and tell me the correct word or phrase. It is simple and fun, and also incorporates counting. It's a great classic.
on September 18, 2017
One of my sons loves this book. It has some word repetition to help young readers, but the way the book was designed, it's also great at teaching numbers. some of the pages are shrunk to fit just one item and then the pages grow in size as the caterpillar eats through more and more food/pages and there are little holes through each food item. Children find it very amusing that there are "caterpillar" holes in the book. It also gives a little introduction to the days of the week.
on October 12, 2017
This is a seriously cute little book. The colors are appealing to children, and the holes on the pages that they can count are something that children enjoy as well. Be sure you pay close attention to the measurements of the one you buy. This was not as large as one I had bought before. And while it is a handy size that can be easily tucked into purse or diaper bag, I was not expecting it to be a smaller version of one I had bought before.
on October 10, 2017
I think we can all agree that this book’s a winner. Ding! Ding! But it’s more than a gem of a book. Here comes an analogy. Like the caterpillar is for food, our youth is hungry for knowledge. Kansas City has been amping IT up by providing KC kiddos and non-profits like Turn the Page with the tools to satisfy their hunger. Reading proficiency is up and we cannot be more thrilled. Thrilled that books like Eric Carle’s are the reason for it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2017
I'm not sure which I like more... the cutesy story line of the Hungry Caterpillar, or watching my 3 year old memorize the story and count the foods the caterpillar eats. Either way it is an adorable book helping us create adorable memories I will cherish as my boys get older and grow too large to sit on my lap for bedtime stories.
on October 16, 2017
I love reading this book to my daughter. She likes all the colors and loves to put her fingers in the holes where the caterpillar has eaten through the food. It's also great for trying to start her on counting. Definitely recommend!