Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,647 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,230 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 23, 2016
Even though we built quite a collection of children's books during the seven years I spent babysitting our three grandsons, it's always a delight to discover another to add. This one brought back memories of carefree summer days as a child, how exciting it was to find a caterpillar outside, to feel that little tickley sensation as it would move up my arm, and being amazed when my mother told me it would one day become a butterfly! I'm so pleased with this little board book that uses the life stages of a butterfly - from egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly - to teach counting, colors, days of the week, foods (not to mention a recipe for a stomach ache!) - very sturdily constructed, brightly illustrated, and at 7" x 5" and a hair less than an inch thick, it'll fit perfectly into the chubby little hands of our two year old little guy on his birthday!

The different sized pages in the middle of the book (after the caterpillar pops out of his egg on Sunday morning) showing different foods with holes punched in the centers to indicate where he's nibbled through them are darling - each page is thick enough that I think I'm going to cut a caterpillar-sized piece of green pipecleaner to give him so he can watch his very own caterpillar making its way through the one red apple he eats on Monday, two green pears on Tuesday, three purple plums on Wednesday, four red strawberries on Thursday, five bright orange oranges on Friday, and then the variety of multi-colored foods (probably not a caterpillar's scientifically accurate diet, but fun!) he eats on Saturday that leads to his stomache ache - chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon - goodness gracious!

On Sunday, he limits himself to one green leaf, builds his "small house, called a cocoon, around himself", stays in there for over two weeks before he emerges as a multi-colored butterfly, whose wingspan takes up the final two pages! Though we probably won't expect our grandson to comprehend the scientific term of metamorphosis, he'll certainly grasp that the caterpillar's transformation is magical - a pretty good description of the book itself!
on January 4, 2013
I used these letters + ribbon to make a Happy Birthday banner for my son. It worked well, the cards are on a medium thickness card stock, a bit thicker than index card thick, but not nearly so thick, say as the Eric Carle Letter Cards.

Each Letter is a circle that is 5 1/4" in diameter and brightly colored in the Eric Carle style of collage-y animal backgrounds, so not a solid background. They are very pretty. There are 72 alphabet tiles, and 8 animal tiles. There are 5 yards of ribbon that is in a light lilac/periwinkle blue, decent quality, some cotton-synthetic blend. Each letter circle has two little rectangular slats so that you can thread the ribbon through, that works very easily, there was no issue there. Because the letters are strung through two slats, they stay in position on the ribbon, but can easily be slid along to where you want them to go, they still in spot even if hung at an angle.

Here are the letter counts, there are:
5 - A, E
4 - H, O
3 - B, C, D, G, I, L, M, N, P*, R, S, T, Y*
2 - F, J, K, U, V, W
1 - Q, X, Z
* = After spelling 'Happy Birthday' you'll have only one 'P' and one 'Y' left, in case that's important to your child's name.

The animals are on a white background, and, as expected, are the Eric Carle animals: Caterpillar, Butterfly, Frog, Elephant, Bear, Hippo, Peacock, and Giraffe

The package itself is a small format, at 7"x5.5", nice presentation. Made in China for those who are interested.

It worked really well for us, I was surprised actually, I wasn't expecting a lot, but really liked the results, and received compliments.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2017
I saw this at a local store and handed it to my 2 (now 3) yr old bc he loves caterpillars.. I think a big part of it because on his tablet they are always eating and he loves to eat, especially fruits. He opened it up and started telling me the story! Apparently he had learned the whole book by watching videos on his tablet. Anyway I bought it here and now he reads it to me at night lol I will also read it to him and change words in it and he will laugh and tell me noooooo and tell me the correct word or phrase. It is simple and fun, and also incorporates counting. It's a great classic.
on September 18, 2017
One of my sons loves this book. It has some word repetition to help young readers, but the way the book was designed, it's also great at teaching numbers. some of the pages are shrunk to fit just one item and then the pages grow in size as the caterpillar eats through more and more food/pages and there are little holes through each food item. Children find it very amusing that there are "caterpillar" holes in the book. It also gives a little introduction to the days of the week.
on September 13, 2017
I'm not sure which I like more... the cutesy story line of the Hungry Caterpillar, or watching my 3 year old memorize the story and count the foods the caterpillar eats. Either way it is an adorable book helping us create adorable memories I will cherish as my boys get older and grow too large to sit on my lap for bedtime stories.
on September 4, 2017
This household is a huge fan of Eric Carle. The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a classic and a must have for any kids library.
on September 4, 2017
One of my favorite children's books. And, the board book version is perfect for young children
on September 18, 2017
Great book. I love it. Still trying to get my daughter to enjoy it as much as mama does
on September 8, 2017
Ordered for my sister-n-law, she was very pleased.
on September 18, 2017
Loved reading this book when I was younger and had to get for son and he loved it just as much as me. He then read it in school and did a art project based off it.