Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 139 reviews
on April 29, 2016
This album contains my very very favorite song ever. Where I Belong. It's a great song to hear on the album, even though it is about a million times better live. They usually play it at the end of a show and it just feels like all the songs they played before, everything Jon said in the show, every beating pulsing soul in the place, was all building up to this. This beautiful moment where people pull out there hand-made flags and Jon takes them all on stage and we all just sing. Vice Verses is a phenomenal album by it's own right (in my opinion anyway) but it will always hold a special place in my heart for giving us this song. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it, and if you ever have the chance to see Switchfoot live I wholeheartedly recommend it!
on September 27, 2011
With seven quality studio albums, millions of album sales, and a Grammy win, Switchfoot has repeatedly proven to be a band worth listening to. All those accolades aside, there are few, if any, other rock bands out there that find such a strong combination of thought-provoking lyrics and diverse, excellently crafted music. Hello Hurricane, the band's 2009 release, was a grand return for the band after nearly three years without a new studio album, and as fantastic as it was, it's now clear that it was a necessary step towards something bigger, bolder, and possibly even better, and that is where we find the band's latest offering, Vice Verses. If the clever title and the band's impressive track record aren't enough to convince you to give Switchfoot's latest a listen, maybe this review will.

The core of every Switchfoot album is still intact in Vice Verses, for those that might be wondering. Jon Foreman''s lyrics are still as insightful, thought-provoking, and meaningful as ever; that quality has always been a staple in Switchfoot albums and it's still strong here as they ponder the polarity of life. The sonic diversity also hasn't been lost: you'll get some of Switchfoot's heaviest rockers yet ("Dark Horses," "Afterlife"), but never at the expense of the inclusion of some beautiful, mellow tracks ("Vice Verses," "Thrive").

Every member of the band is truly at the top of their game on this record: from a performance standpoint Vice Verses is easily Switchfoot's strongest effort. Tim Foreman''s bass and Chad Butler''s drums provide the groundwork for these songs, unlike on past albums; to be honest I had never realized how awesome these guys are in the rhythm section until I heard their incredibly skillful parts carrying songs like the infectiously catchy "The Original" and the more beat-driven tracks including "Selling the News" and "Blinding Light." Jerome Fontamillas'' keyboards also add some awesome pieces to the music, especially his "time travel" keyboard line in "Souvenirs" and the epic warlike background noise in the later choruses of "The War Inside." Guitarist Drew Shirley is also as brilliant as ever at finding the perfect guitar sound for each song and providing some fantastic riffs and background noise, while Jon Foreman's vocals have never been stronger, striking the right level of intensity for the heavier songs and hitting that sublimely delicate zone for the quieter tracks.

There are so many highlights on Vice Verses, we'd be here all day if I talked about them all at length, so I'll try and keep this relatively brief. "The War Inside" is one of my personal favorite tracks with its driving beat and clever lyrics which are thematically reminiscent of "Mess of Me" from Hello Hurricane ("Ain't no killer like pride / no killer like I / no killer like what's inside"). The simply delightful "Blinding Light" features a musically uplifting chorus and hopeful lyrics and the worshipful "Restless" is probably Jon Foreman's most poetically stunning song to date. "Souvenirs" will soothe you with its lovely guitar work even when the pace picks up as the band sings, "Nothing lasts forever..." while the fantastic lead single "Dark Horses" is easily Switchfoot's heaviest rocker to date, serving as an inspiring underdog anthem. "Selling the News" also stands out as the boldest step outside the norm for the band, but it's also one of the strongest tracks on the album with its spoken word verses and infectiously catchy pop chorus. And of course, the title track features some incredible songwriting and solid acoustic guitar work.

What might be the best part of the album, however, is how it comes full circle by the way the last song connects to the first. "Afterlife" kicks it off strong with a fantastically intense rocker about truly living in this life, while the breathtaking closer "Where I Belong" sings about hope in the next life, using lyrics from the second verse of "Afterlife" in a similar yet also very different context ("I still believe we can live forever / You and I, we begin forever now"). While every song on Vice Verses falls somewhere on a scale from great to excellent, "Where I Belong" is in a league of its own. Drew's guitar work is simply stellar, the gang vocals soar, and the lyrics are beautiful and plentiful. "Where I Belong" is easily Switchfoot's strongest album closer, going on for nearly seven minutes but not dragging on at all and bringing such a majestic and conclusive feel to the album's end as the whole band echoes back the second verse of "Afterlife"... it's definitely a special song unlike any other the band has ever recorded before.

Vice Verses may or may not be Switchfoot's best album yet; as the years go by we'll have to see if it has the same kind of lasting appeal that Nothing Is Sound' still has. All comparisons aside, though, Vice Verses features some of the highest points of the band's career with its bold steps outside their usual style, excellent performances, and fantastic lyrics. Vice Verses is an absolutely excellent and nearly flawless addition to Switchfoot's already impressive discography that should not be missed.
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2016
Switchfoot is a great band and this is a very solid album (but not perfect)

Likes:
- Good variety, tempo and craftsmanship of the songs

Dislikes:
- Definitely feels like some of the songs are fillers and not their best work. Songs like "selling the news" are a bit much lyrically as well as musically
on February 25, 2015
I love this album! If you haven't heard this one and you think, as I once did, that "The Beautiful Letdown" was never going to be topped, then check out "Vice Verses" and your mind will be changed. I pretty much like or love every song on this. The band rocks out, with great variety of sounds, and not the more generic-sounding "whoah-ohs" that their most recent album unfortunately has. The lyrics are heartfelt and meaningful. I can't say enough about it.
on September 11, 2013
Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he will enjoy everything. Hello Hurricane is by far my favorite Switchfoot album. More to the point, it is one of my favorite albums ever recorded. If I had expected Vice Verses to be Hello Hurricane, I would be writing a different review. That being said, I really enjoy this album. The lyrics are deep, the guitar work is interesting, and the drums rumble; all to create the sound that is Switchfoot.

This album is a rock album and that is something we do not have enough of anymore. Based on their body of work Swtichfoot, does not feel any need to be different than who they are. To me this is at the heart of their quality: "do what we do and do it well". I give the album 4 stars, opposed to 5, simply because it is not Hello Hurricane.
on June 14, 2012
The Best Yet album release was a misnomer, because this is definitely it. This is straight up Switchfoot at their best. Half the songs are softer, and to be honest, the softer ones are my favorite. That's not to say the whole album isn't awesome though; I don't think I could pick a least favorite song from this album. The live tracks are an awesome addition too; it's nice to get the concert feel and some of the story behind the songs. Plus, Hello Hurricane was an amazing album to begin with, and Switchfoot is just as good live as on record. All around an amazing CD and definitely worth the money. Enjoyed every minute of it.

One other thing. This CD really grows on you. I like it better each time I listen to it, and I can't count the number of times I've listened to it...
on August 15, 2014
Another fantastic album from Switchfoot. This actually might be my second favorite, after Hello Hurricane. This album is full of rocking tunes, thoughtful lyrics, and earnest vocals. Afterlife is an awesome opener. The Original, The War Inside, and Dark Horses are all great rockers. Restless is a worship song in the vein of Your Love is A Song from HH. If you like Switchfoot or any Christian rock, you should pick up this album, and grab the deluxe edition for the live version of the fantastic Hello Hurricane.
on July 4, 2013
Switchfoot has done it again. While I was a little bit of a doubter after listening to Oh! Gravity, I thought that I would give "Vice Verses" a try. Boy oh boy, am I glad I did. I had heard Afterlife before, but the other tracks were better. Album highlights? "Selling the News," "Dark Horses," "The Original," and "Where I Belong." Being that I enjoy a faster, harder Switchfoot, I didn't much care for "Souvenirs" and the title track, "Vice Verses." Altogether, this album is excellent and definitely worth listening to.
on January 22, 2013
"Vice Verses" feels like a return to classic Switchfoot ("Beautiful Letdown", etc.) from CD's like "Oh Gravity!", and it's a great return.

The songs feel "real" - they excite, they inspire, and they make you think. Exactly what an artist's songs should do.

If you're a Switchfoot fan, or just a fan of soft rock/rock music, give this CD a listen.
on January 4, 2015
Beautiful album. Wonderful group. Very inspirational music.