Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Size: 6 Inch|Style Name: Chef's Knife|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,176 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,281 reviews
on June 5, 2014
***About Victorinox Knives in General***
For those who are completely new to the Victorinox (formerly Forschner) brand of knives, it's like this: These knives are NOT super high-end knives intended to impress cutlery snobs. They're workhorses that perform nearly as well as - and, depending on the knife - as well or better than high-end forged instruments costing three times as much. No joke.

Q: Will they look as good as my super expensive Japanese or German knives?
A: No. They will not. They're really simple-looking. Some might even say that they look crappy. Your high-end Japanese or German cutlery will absolutely shame Victorinox Forschner knives in terms of appearance.

Q: Will they perform as well as my super expensive Japanese or German knives?
A: Maybe. If not, it will be a very close race. Think 80%-100% of the performance at 30% of the cost. Additionally, the Victorinox knives - because they're not forged - are very light. (My mom has arthritis and I got her a bunch of Victorinox knives after trying them myself. She LOVES them, and experiences much less fatigue than she did with her previous knives, which were 15 year-old Henckels.)

Q: Will they perform better than my KitchenAid, Cuisinart, or other knives that came in a set costing $30-$100?
A: Those knives will run in terror from Victorinox Forschner knives. You will find yourself using far less muscle when slicing things with Victorinox Forschner knives, if you're used to a crappy $50 box set.

Q: What's the deal with the handle? Fibrox? What's that?
A: Fibrox is Victorinox' name for a specially-textured handle material, which I'm pretty sure is just a proprietary plastic compound. This is going to sound weird, but Fibrox kind of has the texture of a cat's tongue... meaning it's a little rough. The weird thing about Fibrox - and the one reason - aside from durability and cutting performance - that so many line cooks rely on these, is the fact that they do NOT become slippery when the knife or your hands are damp. (Again, my aging mom loves that about these knives. She routinely cuts with wet hands, so she feels that these are safer than her Henckels.)

Q: So... what's the difference between the Victorinox Fibrox knives and the Victorinox Swiss Classic knives?
A: The only difference is the handle; the blades are identical, from what I've seen. (I have Fibrox-handled knives, and we bought my mother-in-law Swiss Classics.) I recommend Fibrox, to be honest. The Swiss Classic handles are good, but they are not quite as grippy-when-wet as the Fibrox knives, so I like the Fibrox ones for the extra margin of safety. That said, you'll find that the Swiss Classic knives are more likely to come as a set, which can save you a little money over buying individually.

Q: What about durability? Some people are saying they don't hold an edge.
A: In my own experience, they hold an edge commendably well. Put it this way: My wife and I cook dinner 4-5 times per week, and on top of that, these knives also get the brunt of our general, daily use (cutting bread, etc.). We mainly spread this workload across just *three* Victorinox Fibrox knives, and we've had these knives for just under a year. During that time, I've had to run them over a honing steel (also a Victorinox item) just twice, and after honing, they are good as new. I'm sure that eventually, they'll need professional sharpening, but it's been almost a year, and I can imagine going another year before they really need professional work... and even then, they might be okay with just a honing steel.

***About THIS Knife***
Okay, so *this* knife is a bit odd. It has a full-sized handle (pretty much the same as the rest of the Fibrox line), but the blade is a chef's knife blade that looks like it got hit with a shrink ray. To be perfectly honest, I find that this knife gets WAY more use than our chef's knife; it seems like for 70% of kitchen tasks, this is *just enough* knife.

Actually, I really like it's middle-of-the-road size, and I HIGHLY recommend it as a first Victorinox knife, for someone who just wants to "see what's so great about" them. In a sense, it's a "gateway" knife. You can get a feel for the brand, their handles, and their blades, and then make your future buying decisions with your experience in mind... and if you hate it... then it's not like you're out a ton of money.
44 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2016
I own about 8 different Victorinox knives. For the price, they are great. I also own Wusthof knives. The Wusthof are more substantial but I feel they do not keep an edge as long. Note I use Japanese water stones for sharpening and the Mac black ceramic steel to touch up the edges. The 5 and 6 inch chef knives are thin and do not have a traditional chef knife rocker. Also they have less knuckle clearance. The picture is the 10, 8, 6 and 5 inch chef knives for comparison.
review image
on July 16, 2016
When you first open the package and look at the knife you probably won't be too impressed. It's a simple looking knife with a stamped blade. Big deal. However, when you start using the knife you'll quickly change your mind. It's light, easy to hold, and handles well. The handle has a nice non-slip texture to it and the thin blade slices through your food items effortlessly. After using it for a few minutes you'll understand why there are so many positive reviews on it.

A couple of caveats: The blade is thin, which means its also somewhat flexible. You don't want to use this knife for hard items. Also, on my knife, even though it was fairly sharp out of the box it got caught up on things like tomato skins. It did require a bit of final honing, but now it's as sharp as a razor. The need to final sharpening is the reason for four stars instead of five. I also have the 8 inch Victorinox chefs knife and it was razor sharp out of the box.

What makes these knifes special is the quality of the steel. It's a very fine-grained composition that not only sharpens to a super fine edge, but the edge stays sharp for a long time. Again, there's nothing fancy about this knife but it does what it was designed to do really well. It's sharp, handles well, and as a result is a pleasure to use.

I have a set of fairly expensive drop forged Henkel knives but I don't use them much these days. I always reach for the Victorinox knives first.
on September 12, 2013
Unfortunately Amazon intermixes reviews for the Victorinox 6" and 8" Chef's knives, so pay careful attention to which is being described. I bought the 6" version based partially on the reviews of the 8". For some other brands, such as Wusthof, the 6" and 8" chef's knives are simply two different sizes of the same basic knife, and I happen to prefer the 6" size for many tasks. In the case of this Victorinox line, the two vary considerably (apparently; I have not yet tried the 8" version). The 6" knife is an excellent utility knife; it is very sharp, maneuverable, and has a good grip: a good slicing knife. However, it is not a chef's knife: as a close look at the tiny picture will show, it has no clearance for the fingers against a cutting board, nor much of a curve, so the characteristic rocking/chopping action of a chef's knife is simply not possible. By all accounts (e.g. Cook's Illustrated's recommendation), and from the picture, that is not the case for the 8" version of the knife.

The 6" Victorinox is really a very good knife, at a great price, but do be aware what it is you're buying. It should not be called a "Chef's knife".
on August 29, 2015
I've worked in pro kitchens since I was 15 years old, and worked for my family that owned restaurants, and I have my own cooking show on a local station on Maui. I've tried expensive knives from German, to Japanese...but there's one thing about Victorinox knives, they are truly professional, and the fibrox handle is great. I'm telling all you budget conscience cooks out there, these knives are great, you can't go wrong. This 10 inch chefs is capable of doing a lot, including sectioning a large tuna or snapper. This knife is a must for any serious cook. I don't even look at other brands period. This knife is great for cutting small pumpkins and squash too right in half because of the long blade. It's totally comfortable. One of my chef friends used it, and couldn't believe it was that good, he's all into his $200 plus Japanese knives that he doesn't want to ding up... LOL.
on March 23, 2008
This is a wonderful knife. I don't think I've used a really good knife since I was growing up. My dad was a master cook and always had good knives that he kept razor sharp, but I've never owned a good set of knives. I wanted to buy some good quality kitchen knives but didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars, so I started reading reviews here and other places online. The Forschner knives had great reviews and I liked the idea of the Fibrox handle, which is slightly textured. I feel like I made a great choice. The knife is sharp, lightweight, and has good balance. The Fibrox handle is perfect for me; easy to grip and non-slip. I have arthritis and some weakness in my hands so knives with wooden or hard handles hurt my hands. This knife is a joy to use; it makes slicing and chopping for meals fun and easy and I find myself cooking more because of it. I intend to buy more of this line of knives. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon February 6, 2015
I often read Cooks World and Chow Hound and get caught up in the posts about "the best" gear. People are especially passionate on the subject of knives, and rightfully so. And I admit to often going along with those who feel that you just have to pay more to get better. Very often true, but not in the case of this knife. I read so many reviews of this that I just had to have one (this is my first 10 inch knife). I love it and find I use it all the time in preference to my former favorite (Wusthof Santoku 8 inches). When my son asked me what I wanted for Christmas I told him this knife. He questioned my choice and asked why I didn't want a "better" one. I told him about the reviews and stuck with my choice. I love it so much that I sent him one last month. The only thing I don't love is the packaging. You need a knife just to get this knife out of the plastic. My son actually cut himself on the knife, trying to get it out of the tight poly skin that it comes in. So four stars instead of five.
on January 3, 2012
Update, T+4 Years: still chopping!

While starting life as a graduate student, I made the decision to get more serious about cooking to eat better and save money. A functional kitchen begins with quality cookware and a good set of knives; toward that end, I considered purchasing several of Victorinox's knife sets:
Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife Set
Victorinox 8-Piece Knife Block Set
Victorinox 7-Piece Knife Block Set
Victorinox Swiss Classic 15-Piece Cutlery Block Set

In the end I found that, at Amazon's heavily-discounted prices, it's just as economical to construct a 'custom set' by purchasing the knives individually. This also ensures that you get exactly what you want, and you don't waste money on knives that you don't want or need.

In the end, I purchased:
Victorinox 40521 10-Inch Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle
Victorinox Fibrox 7-Inch Granton Edge Santoku Knife
Victorinox 5-Inch Mini-Chef's Knife with Fibrox Handle
Victorinox Honing Steel 12-Inch Round Regular Cut, Black Plastic Handle
Henckels 20-Slot Super Knife Storage Block

All of these products are very highly reviewed, and together they form an excellent introductory knife collection at a reasonable price.

This 10" Chef's Knife is definitely the workhorse of the set. While its large size is rather intimidating, it is incredibly light and very easy to handle. The cutting edge is amazingly sharp and, when cared for properly with handwashing and regular honing on a quality steel, it maintains its edge extraordinarily well. This knife far exceeds the quality of anything you will find in a brick-and-mortar store at a similar price point. While I'm sure that you could spend $100+ on a professional forged chef's knife that would perform better, this product more than meets the needs of the typical at-home cooking hobbyist.
review image review image
44 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2012
This thing is a weird size...it has what's nearly a full-size handle (as in one on an 8" knife). That is probably good thing so that your hands continue the memory from knife to knife if you have several of these great Victorinox knives with the Fibrox handles.

We haven't used it much so far, but it is great for tasks other than slicing/chopping, such as cleaning up large vegetables (cutting/slicing bad spots/etc.), getting fat and silver skin off of raw meats and scraping/trimming large roasts from excess fat when cooked.

This would also make a great trim knife for trimming cut meats, vegetables/fruits, especially when creating garnishes. Overall, a fair value.

**UPDATED**

After using this sweet little knife for 4 BBQ Competitions, a huge wedding cater and a great deal around the house, it IS my go-to knife for 90% of meat trimming, small vegetable tasks and most anything. It's always in my hand.

I love it to trim pork butts, ribs (St Louis style) and fine-trimming of brisket for BBQ competitions. It is easy to maintain a razor-sharp edge and is an absolute pleasure to use when trimming pork butts. Precision trimming is almost too easy with this thing. You can easily knock off some too-thick parts of the ribs, clean up any of the leftover brisket meat on the bone side of the ribs and get as accurate as you want on brisket trimming after knocking the huge chunks of fat off.

Don't get me wrong, I still love an 8" chef's knife for general vegetable work. But this knife is very nice. Someone at Victorinox hit the hammer on the head with this design.

Yes, I would and am going to buy again.
on October 22, 2016
I'm a culinary student trying to purchase required tools within my budget. While I have a German 'famous' knife brand shorter chef knife that I love and use at home daily, I needed a 10 inch chef knife for class. I did not want to spend hundreds of dollars, and in an internet search for quality knives, the Victorinox brand came up as one of the top three preferred chef knives. Amazon offered it at a great price, and I ordered it. I use it every week in class and really like it. It look some getting used to, the length, but now that I've handled it, the length really does help with slicing and the variety of knife cuts I need to be proficient doing. Don't let the price fool you; this is a quality knife that cleans easily and maintains a very sharp edge. I'm very happy with the knife and highly recommend it to anyone needing a long chef knife. My only suggestion is that it would be helpful for all knife manufactures to sell a blade guard with the knife, which normally does not take place, regardless of brand. I recommend anyone with sharp knives, whether in the kitchen drawer or in a knife bag, get blade guards to protect the blade and your skin.