Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Victorinox Forged 7-Piece Knife Set with Block
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

VINE VOICEon October 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I waited a few weeks for this review, because I wanted to break in the knives a bit, so I could fairly compare this with other knives. Since cutting ability is the most important feature of a knife, I did a cutting comparison.
I chose to test the straight/smooth blades of the chef's knives because serrated knives tend to work well even over time without sharpening. I took the chef's knife from this set and the ceramic Victorinox knife that I own (which my kids call 'the terrorist knife' because it's so sharp) and a Cutco chef's knife.

I cut some chewy artisan bread with each knife, sawing slowly and applying a light amount of pressure. I felt the lighter knives did the best, with the ceramic knife (the lightest) performing a hair better than the Cutco. But then I tried more dense foods, like summer sausage and hard cheese, and it seemed like the heavier forged knife from this set performed a little better. The heavier weight kind of held the knife down to the surface and kept it in place as I cut down. It was easier to cut even slices with this forged knife. For the cheddar, which is a medium weight cheese, all knives seemed equally as good. So my conclusion is that for the ideal ease in cutting, you should match the weight of the knife with the density/weight of the food. That said, all three knives performed well.

For feel, the ceramic knife is very lightweight, will supposedly hold its sharpness the longest and it's 'cool'. But I know it can break easily, from being dropped or even in the dishwasher. The Cutco is medium weight. I love the elegant white handles and they sharpen their knives for a nominal fee for the life of the product. This Victorinox set excels in feeling solid and looking as sturdy as it feels. I thought I would not like a heavier weighted set, but I do enjoy working with it and the knives give you a feeling like they will last forever. Sleek.

I give it 4 1/2 stars knocking it a little because the lighter knives were a little better at the bread.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This set is the professional forged set offered by Victorinox. They also offer a lower priced "value forged" set which I've not used, so I won't know how these compare. As the description by Amazon states, these are hot-drop forged in Germany and finished in Switzerland.

So far I'm impressed. The Victorinox Forged knives are heavier and more substantial in size than my Wusthof Classic and Grand Prix knives. My Wusthof 3 inch paring knife has a smaller handle and weighs 2 oz. The Victorinox 3 inch paring knife has a longer and thicker handle which is easier to grip, and it weighs 3.4 oz. The handles feel as if they are made from the same material, and both are riveted to the tang in 3 places.

As another reviewer mentioned, weight is a personal preference. I was very happy with my lighter weight Wusthof, but after using the slightly heavier Victorinox I realize that I prefer these. I am definitely reaching for them more.

The blades are as good as my best and most expensive knives. They are extremely sharp, can handle everything I've put before them so far, and due to the quality I know they will last forever. To the best of my knowledge, forged blades will always be superior to stamped blades, even by the same manufacturer.

The kitchen shears are not the same Victorinox shears sold separately by Amazon. The Victorinox logo is not on them, and they are stamped Made in France. I found them online as Forschner Sabatier Kitchen Shears. They are nice enough and very strong, but they do not come apart for cleaning which I consider essential for kitchen shears.

I like this set because it includes a couple of knives I don't already own, such as the tomato knife and the shaper. They aren't necessary, but they are nice to use. I was surprised to find the shaper in a basic knife set because it isn't essential. Most people only need a good chef's knife, a paring knife, and a serrated knife. The tomato knife is serrated and a fantastic one at that, but not long enough to handle a loaf of bread.

If you don't cook very often, you probably won't use specialty knives. In fact, you probably won't need a better quality set such as this. But if you enjoy cooking and find the entire process of preparing every ingredient an enjoyable and important experience, then you will also understand and appreciate a set like this.

I prepare everything from scratch when possible, so that I can control the quality of ingredients in my foods. As a vegetarian, I slice and dice vegetables daily. I need knives that can handle delicate herbs or small dice a butternut squash without fail. It's surprising how easily a poorly made knife can fail. My first good knife was an 8 inch Wusthof Classic chef's knife. I still remember how I immediately noticed the difference, as if I had stepped out of an old VW and into a Cadillac. I soon became a knife nut and built up a collection of new, well made knives, and gave away the others. I'm very pleased with my new knives and they are staying in my kitchen!

Amazon offers several other configurations of Victorinox Forged knife sets and you may find one of better value for your needs.
on September 16, 2009
These knives are the best! They cut and handle better than more expensive Forged knives. Cooks Illustrated always talks about Victorinox cutlery- and now I know why. These are the same people that make RH Forschner professional knives and swiss army pocketknives.
on October 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found this knife set to be an exceptional value and are definitely the best cooking knives that I have used in the past 30 years. I am especially fond of the steak knife and used it on many such occasions since I first received this set. Cutting a steak with this knife is like literally cutting through a stick of butter with a red hot knife. No effort what-so-ever and a real treat to use.

My only complaint with this set, and mind you this is just me, is the large wooden block that holds the knives. I found it to be too big and clunky and it took up way too much space on my counter top. I much rather prefer to put my knives in a drawer especially made and designed for them with a wooden horizontal knife holder in it.

I highly recommend these knives, even with the big clunky wooden holder.

Shawn Kovacich
Author of the Achieving Kicking Excellence book and DVD series.
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These Victorinox knives are a pleasure to use. They feel great in your hand, cuts easily and smoothly, and everything about them just oozes quality. I thought the assorted kitchen knives we've been using were pretty sharp and good, but they really don't compare to the Victorinox knives. They are comfortable to hold and use, and cut great. What more can you ask from your knives? The lifetime warranty is nice, too.

If you get these, be sure to read the care instructions on the Amazon.com's product page or the Victorinox website. I've always put our kitchen knives in the dishwasher, but that is not recommended with the Victorinox knives--they recommend hand-washing, immediately after use (no soaking in the water overnight, for example).

Highly recommended!
on October 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Cooking equipment is one area where quality shows. There are things I buy at the dollar store, and things I don't. A pot with a thin bottom means stuff will stick. Cheap knives tear instead of cutting. It's not worth the hassle to me.

This set is pricey, but worth it if you are in the market for a knife set. So far I've cut fruits and vegetables with the paring, tomato, and chef's knife. The cuts are clean and easy, and I don't have to think about the knife at wll while cutting. It just cuts, and that's what I want. The knife set isn't to my lifestyle (I got it to test out as a kind of promotional sample), but if I had kids, and were cooking for more than one, it would be. I would spend 1/7 the price on any individual knife in the set, and feel they are up to what my expectations would be. They cut well.

The knives are a solid investment if you are looking for something you can buy, depend on, and not worry about having problems with or replacing.

Update: 5 years late, in 2015, I still have this knife set. To date, it is the best item I have ever received from the Amazon Vine program. I've guarded it from all roommates at move out. I am certain Victorinox Forged (not Victorinox Classic) are the best knives available for purchase. These knives hold up well and cut whatever I need to cut.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These German made Victorinox knives replaced my Chinese made Henckel knives. There is no comparision. The Victorinox knives are at least double the steel thickness and feel excellent in the hand. They do have more weight then a traditional kitchen knife, but the balance makes up for it.

The fit and finish is superb with no rough edges, finish scratches, or other anomalies. My Henckel's lasted 10 years, which I consider good for a German engineered, Chinese made product. But I expect these German made and engineered knives to at least double the usability.

An excellent started set for the advanced cook. PS: Hand Wash Only!
on September 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very impressed with this knife set. It's very professional looking and the block fits right into my modern kitchen design. This set is high quality but you wouldn't expect anything less from the makers of the swiss army knife. Using these knives is a true pleasure. They have a nice sturdy weight to them and the handles fit comfortably in my hand. Even when I was cutting for a longer amount of time my hands didn't seem to cramp up and tire as quickly. The set includes a sharpening steel which is important for maintaining your knives. Overall, I highly recommend this knife set.
on September 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great knife set that would certainly merit a 4-5 star review if the price was closer to $200. At the current pricing there are much better options available.

My main knife set is the Shun Classic 23-Piece so I used comparable knives from my set and compared them against knives from this Victorinox set. I realize that those considering the Victorinox set are likely not interested in a set as large as the Shun Classic 23-Piece but you should check out the Shun Classic 7-Piece Set which has the same knives (just not as many) and is currently less expensive than the Victorinox set!

Shun Classic vs. Victorinox-
-----------------------------
Weight: The Victorinox knives are heavier vs. the Shun knives. While weight is a matter of preference I prefer the weight on the Shun knives.

Look & feel: I prefer the look of the Shun knives. The rounded wooden handles are more comfortable and I prefer the look vs. the Victorinox plastic handles. I love how the Shun blades have an almost wood-like pattern on them (this is due to layered Damascus steel). I added a photo of both 8-inch Chef's Knives compared!

Usage: The Shun knives are sharper and cut better. One odd thing I noticed was that the Victorinox knives (especially the Chef's knife) are considerable sharper at the the base of the blade then they are at the tip. When I tested both the Shun vs. Victorinox knives on tomatoes, I noticed that the Shun blade would break the skin of the tomato anywhere on the blade with ease and nearly-zero pressure. The Victorinox blade easily pierced the tomato skin with nearly-zero pressure at the base of the blade but required noticeably more pressure when using the top of the blade.

-----------------------------

If you are considering this set, I strongly urge you to consider the Shun Classic 7-Piece Set instead!

If you're set on Victorinox knives, you should look at the following two sets. They appear to be the same line of knives and are currently priced equally or cheaper than this set- so you may find a little more value:
Victorinox Forged 10-Piece Knife Set with Block
Victorinox Forged 8-Piece Knife Set with Block
review image
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a bit confused when I received this knife set - the box clearly showed a boning knife that was not included in this set. The knives that are included are top quality, and the equal to any that I have hand-picked for my kitchen over the past three decades.

I've used the chef's knife on chicken breasts with ease, vegetables, and fruits. Good balance, excellent edge, and a really comfortable grip. The tomato knife is outstanding in every way. The scissors are excellent, too, but I prefer the spring action of my OXO shears.

The block that is included has a lovely finish on the sides, but the knife slots look a bit roughly finished. At this price-point, I think every detail should be perfect, especially when you might be giving this as a gift. That being said, this is an excellent set of knives to start or refresh a kitchen collection.