Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

My measurements:
Outside Dimensions: 21.25x15x7.5 inches
Inside Dimensions: 18x13.5x6 inches
Pocket Dimensions: 16.25x12.5 inches
Weight: 6.6lbs

I'm getting the most important information out up front, as the primary reason one buys a carry-on this small is to meet the increasingly-restrictive qualifications of international airlines. The official dimensions of this bag have it as 20 inches long, but it is really 21.25 to the handle strap (as specified by the airlines), and this is not with the strap extended. The height is closer to 7.5 inches, and it could be higher depending on how much you stuff in the bag. The weight is pretty good for a bag this size, important as many airlines restrict carry-ons to as little as 12 pounds!

Be aware that Victorinox has an almost identical version of this bag with "WT" in the model name. The difference is that the WT has a fold-out garment carrier in the lid and it weighs a bit more. Several sites where I found this bag listed combined the WT and non-WT bags in the same listing, or used photographs of the "other" model. I have attached several pictures showing all views of the non-WT bag.

The outside of the Werks Traveler bag is well-constructed, with rubber strips and bumpers at many potential wear points. All zippers are metal and one keyed TSA-approved lock is provided. On the outside of the lid are two zippered compartments. A small one holds part of a strap system that, combined with a strap in the other outside pocket,can be used to attach one or two other, smaller bags to this one (see one of the photos I attached.) The larger compartment is generously sized and would hold a 15" laptop, though the padding on top is minimal. There is a flat mesh pocket on the inner lid of this pocket that seals with two Velcro patches.

The main compartment has adjustable Y-straps to hold the contents down and a non-detachable mesh pocket in a flap that folds down inside the compartment. The inside of the main lid is plain. The main shell has stiff inserts around the bag, with good protection for the contents.

The T-handle stores in a zipper-closed compartment and telescopes out longer than other similarly-sized bags. A nice feature is that the handle can be rotated 90 degrees by pressing the unlock button. This button is also used when you want to collapse the handle. The handle is comfortable and shaped, with rubber grips.

I have to say that I don't quite understand how luggage manufacturers can command such lofty prices for rather ordinary luggage, but at least the Victorinox Werks Traveler 4.0 Ultra-Light is well-constructed with some useful features and appears reasonably sturdy. You could check this bag and it would not be any worse than bags not intended as carry-ons.

Edit: 6/3/2012 - We just returned from a vacation in France where we took the Victorinox. While it fit (just!) in the overhead bin of a Lufthansa A340, we had to "gate check" it on the leg where we were on a regional jet. And on the trip home, we checked it all the way (as we had an extra "duffle" type bag for souvenirs. I am happy to say that the Victorinox acquitted itself well, coming through with no problems. My wife was very pleased with the packing capacity - unlike many similarly sized bags, the Victorinox has square, not rounded, corners, and every cubic inch counts. In fact, we liked it so much that I bought the 24" Werks Traveler 4.0 Suitcase - see my review there.
89 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on January 24, 2014
i use a manual wheelchair, and the bigger version of this "towing-line" is the essential one. Because you can pull out the handle and extend it, *then it twists.* this twist of the handle is the key feature for my wheelchair because i can tuck it the handle into the bar behind my seatback (the same one airlines often use to tag your chair). keep your lap free so you can push. it really makes a difference, and Victorinox did it with only this line a few years ago so im stoked i found the this 20 in version on amazon.

Note: because it is smaller it is easier to tip over. the bigger version has better leverage and never fell out unless i took a sharp turn. This smaller one work ok to tow, but big cracks in sidewalk will pop handle out cuz theres hardly any leverage for the tow. might be easier to carry on lap.

liftetime warranty. i also got a little GPS card thingy tucked deep inside suitcase in case it gets lost or stolen.

only drawback is it doesnt stand up very well like the bigger version which has a plastic stopper that stabilizes suitcase. this smaller is missing that so it tips over easily. still doesnt matter cuz the size is perfect easily recognizable and i store it inside the bigger one a la russian dolls.

if you are in a wheelchair like me - get the bigger version first - then get this one if you travel a lot.
on December 15, 2013
I had to return this overnight case because I received a gift of an overnight case at the same time & had to keep that one to spare feelings. But this Victorinox was gorgeous, beautiful quality, stiff fabric, stunning red, & I wanted this type wheel which is harder to find now that they're showing the 4 spin-wheel type. As I look at that 4-spin-wheel style & remember looking out the plane window in the past watching the baggage handlers throwing the luggage under the plane, I picture those prominently-exposed wheels snapping off & the case is ruined. So I opted for these wheels in this Victorinox which are half tucked into the case & protected while still providing a ride so that you don't have to carry the case. And the price was $120, hard to find in this brand. I reluctantly returned it but kind of wish I had tucked it away as a very good purchase for the future as the price will probably be much higher the next time I need an overnight case.
One person found this helpful
on May 13, 2013
I kinda liked it and ended up keeping but only because I was travelling in few days and had no time to return and get another one. Deep down I wished I spent a bit more and got something that would feel like it's a keeper, this one is not. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice carry on, it's light and the quality seems to be OK but the size is a bit weird (it's very narrow) plus to make it narrow the handle actually packs inside the bag taking some precious space. Plus I didnt like the idea of the handle having just a single bar; the bag might go on one wheel if you're turning... overall, it's a good bag which is light and has above average quality!
One person found this helpful
on January 24, 2013
Seems generally well constructed, but for the simplicity of the design and function it seems significantly overpriced. It is light and the right size for a carryone these days. Hopefully it will hold when stuffed to its max.
4 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2017
Work as expected.
on April 16, 2013
This does everything that it claims to be. As one who abhors check-in luggage, this item gets approving looks from airline personnel and for its dimensions, it has excellent space, fits in just about all overhead lockers, is well made and is what you would expect in qualityfrom Victorinox.
2 people found this helpful
on August 29, 2014
If it have four wheels.... Otherwise is very good. I bay for a good price. Now is expensive.
on November 22, 2013
Great bag for short trips where you want to carry on. Very light weight and fit a good amount. A light jacket and gloves even fit in the outside pocket for easy access when traveling to/from places with different temperatures.
on November 8, 2013
Good carry-on suitcase. Handle gets a little wobbly after a while. Looks lovely. Sufficient space for short hauls. Toting it around is smooth and effortless.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.