Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,668 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,136 reviews
on September 16, 2016
For months, I had been telling my wife that I wanted to get a chef's knife. She told me that we didn't need one because we already had one (Faberware). I explained to her that a "real" chef's knife would make the existing knife in our cupboard look like a plastic knife. Well, maybe I exaggerated, but not by much.

This knife came protected in a plastic blisterpak that was easily removable. The handle has a very comfortable grip and the material is slightly textured so that even having water on this knife means that it won't slip out of your hands. Does it look fancy? Nope. Does it work pretty well as a chef's knife? YES!

When comparing this against our current Faberware, there is just no comparison. The Victorinox truly made the Faberware feel like it was a plastic knife. My wife pulled out some tomatoes and sweet potatoes to do the test with me. First of all, we cut up a sweet potato using the knives side by side. The Faberware had to chop into the potato like a meat cleaver. She used the Victorinox next and it cut into the sweet potato with a lot more ease, but not enough to convince her just yet. She said that they were about the same. I told her she probably wasn't using it right since she also chopped the sweet potato with the knife with the same force as if it were a meat cleaver. I told her she should use a rocking motion like the way chefs do it on TV. No matter. Next, she sliced into some tomatoes with the Faberware and it looked like she had no problem. She then did her best to cut a thin slice from the tomato. The slice was maybe 1/4 of an inch. Next, she took the Victorinox and it sliced through the tomato like butter. Her face brightened, but what came next was even better. She was able to cut a slice of the tomato so thin that it was like wax paper. She was so pleasantly surprised that she kept cutting thin slices for about 5 more minutes. She went back to the Faberware to try to do the same and just couldn't. The knife slipped from the tomato whenever she tried to slice it as thinly as the Victorinox. To try to make it a fair fight, I sharpened the Faberware several times to make sure it wasn't under-performing due to a dull blade. Same result. The Faberware couldn't hold a candle to the Victorinox in our tomato cutting tests. She held the Victorinox in her hand and remarked, "So this is what chefs use in the kitchen, huh?" I said, "Yeah, and you should listen to me more." Long story short, she was amazed and approved of my purchase. Get this knife if you have been suffering from "plastic" knife syndrome.
on January 26, 2017
This knife is amazing. It's hard to understand how an inexpensive stamped steel knife can outperform so many forged steel knives that are much more expensive. but Victorinox has somehow figured out how to make one. It's razor sharp out of the box, and a joy to use. When slicing a tomato, it barely deflects the skin before it cuts smoothly through. Want super thin slices of beef? No problem -- this knife will do it. And while it holds its edge rather well, I knew that the true test would come when it was time to sharpen. Well, the time came, and it passed with flying colors. About ten passes through an inexpensive Kitchen IQ handheld sharpener (also highly recommended) -- smooth slot only, not time yet for the more aggressive coarse slot -- and a few strokes on a sharpening steel, and the edge was like new. The Fibrox handle is comfortable and easy to hold. The knife is probably a bit lighter than you're used to (certainly compared to my Global, Wusthof, and Sabatier chef's knives) but that doesn't strike me as a drawback. If you're more interested in results than in impressing folks with how expensive your kitchen tools are, this is the knife to get.
on January 26, 2017
I think there are enough reviews detailing the pros and cons of this knife (this rosewood version having the exact same blade as the popular fibrox model), so I'll keep it quick and provide some much needed pics of the product instead. My primary chef knife has been my Wusthof Classic Ikon 8" knife that I adore. Got a couple of these victorinox knives to see what the fuss was about (and to be sacrificed as the use-and-abuse knife for visitors) Good fit and finish, wood handle is well done and not cheap looking at all. There is a slight antiseptic odour on the handle (already dissipating with just a day's use though) Nice sharp edge and a much lighter blade than my wusthof. While for some jobs (like skinning large veggies and fruits) the light weight is wonderful for other jobs (like cutting through especially dense root veggies) I really wish for the heft of the German blade that requires less effort. The handle is not the most comfortable, I'm already feeling sore spots after cutting the skin off a butternut squash. I found myself gripping the handle tighter and applying more force than I do with my Wusthof, but this might just be because I'm not used to the lighter blade yet... Overall for about half the price of the Wusthof, it's not a bad deal. I've set aside the fibrox model for meat and fish since I can't bring myself to use harsh cleaners on my nice knives.

Update:
Quite uncomfortable to maintain a pinch grip while cutting because of the squared off edges on the handle where it meets the blade. Edge retention hasn't been very good either, already lost its razor sharpness after just a few day's worth of chopping. Tried to mince some parsely today and the knife didn't do a very good job...cutting board was stained green from the knife crushing the leaves.
review image review image review image
on September 19, 2016
I have a few tools in the kitchen that no one but me is allowed to touch. My DH has jokingly (I think) dubbed these items "sacred" and so far has stuck to the rule. This knife is the latest addition to the Sacred Tool area.

I saw this knife reviewed on a PBS tv show. I was skeptical, even though the items on the show usually proved themselves. I just couldn't believe that a knife at this price could be as good as they said. Needless to say, I was so very wrong. I have used this knife for things I'm sure would make the tv folks have a heart attack and it has come through with flying colors. It is amazingly sharp. It's amazingly comfortable to use. It's very light, weight-wise; those who prefer heavier or hefty feeling knives might not care for it. For me, it's perfect. I have smallish hands and also have arthritis. The lighter weight and size are ideal for any number of slicing/cutting jobs in the kitchen. I don't put it in the dishwasher (all the Sacred Tools are hand washed!) but I have poured boiling hot water over it occasionally to sterilize it, which hasn't hurt it so far.

If I could give this knife 15 stars I would. I use it constantly and haven't had to sharpen it yet. It may not be to everyone's taste but I highly recommend giving it a try.
on December 4, 2016
I have been using mine that I ordered from Amazon over 5 years ago. Still going strong. Probably the only knife you need for over 90 percent of tasks in the kitchen.
on September 7, 2016
First of all, I have had all sorts of knives over the years, but I have never owned a knife quite like this one. Since I have always been successful in 'avoiding' the kitchen for decades (yes, I can BURN water when trying to boil it!); I now just try to 'assist' the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer with food prep and clean-up.

We both watch a fair amount of cooking shows and I am always amazed at how well and how fast some of these chefs can slice and dice something. I do realize that I will not ever achieve the speed these people do, I do value my fingers, all of them, but it sure is nice having a knife that really slices down through whatever you are cutting with extremely little effort.

This knife is well balanced, and it just "feels right" when it is in your hand. If using the techniques the pros suggest when cutting things, this Victorinox Chef's knife makes short work of any cutting or chopping job you may have.

I know that if I take care of this knife, I will never have to purchase another one...that's why buying high quality in the first place makes so much sense. You spend a little more up front, sure; but it is worth it in the payback of a much, much longer lifespan.

This is my first, EVER, Victorinox knife for the kitchen (I do have a few Swiss Army knives), but it certainly will not be my last kitchen knife made by them!

And yes, I would strongly recommend this knife to anyone looking for something superior to almost anything available out there, especially at this price!

Cheers to all!

p_rod
on September 25, 2016
This is the first new kitchen knife I've bought myself.
I did some research, decided on a price and ended up picking this Victorinox Chef knife and I'm glad I did. It has excelled at everything I've done with it. (Trimming chicken breast, cutting steaks, dicing garlic, cubing white potatoes, mincing green onions and a lot more.) It makes me want to throw out all my old hand me down knives. So far it's held up well and looks good as new.
After I use it for awhile I will update my review.
review image
on October 13, 2016
This knife really is a great knife. Not only is it a superior knife with an exceptional price. Yes, you can pay hundreds of dollars for a better carbon steel knife but for the price, this one is hard to beat. It handles well in the hand. More importantly, you can achieve a razor sharp edge relatively easily with this knife. We had been using one of those cheap block of knife sets from Kitchen Aid. I had often tried getting a razor edge on the chef's knife and never could get more than an OK edge on that thing. I had always thought it was just my own skills lacking. It may well be my skills keeping me from my razor edge but if so, the Victorinox must be made of a steel that even the most amateur sharpener can bring on an edge fit to slice paper or tomatoes or whatever you have a need or desire to slice. It's a great knife at a great price. I'm not sure what a more expensive knife would bring to the table that this knife can't.
on January 26, 2017
THIS is what an EXCELLENT knife SHOULD do! If you do a lot of food prep work like I do, you HAVE to try Victorinox. One word of warning: these are incredibly sharp and will slice right through a fingernail; luckily, it was a longer fingernail which resulted in a manicure rather than stitches. I bought a "slicer holder" right away. The balance and weight are exceptional; it just feels very comfortable in your hand. It's no longer a chore to slice through several onions or potatoes but more like slicing through butter. I thin-sliced chicken breasts last week in half the time it would take with my old knives. If I have any regrets, it's that I thought it was all "hype" about these knives and balked at the price. This is one of those instances of "you really get what you pay for".
on February 28, 2011
I own a variety of knives including Shun classics and Wusthof Classics, but this guy definitely has a place in my kitchen:

First the downside: the Forschner 8" Chef's knife cannot hold an edge like its more expensive counterparts. I don't know what the steel on the knife is, but it isn't a hardness that can take a 15degree edge, and really can't hold the 18-20degree edge that the wusthof carries. There is a difference between this $30 wonder and the $150+ competitors

THAT SAID, this is a beautiful knife, and I recommend it more highly than the other knives in my kitchen, here's why:

- It can still hold an ably sharp edge, better than any chef's knife you'll get <$100 (way better than Henckels and Wusthof low-end lines, stay away from Wusthof Gourmet). To give you a sense, the factory edge out of the box was plenty sufficient for me, and it held for FIVE MONTHS of regular use WITHOUT honing! It dulled little by little over that time of course, but it is still a great feat for a knife this soft. I generally sharpen it to 20degrees (40 included) and it takes it no problem.
- There is something to be said about having a knife that is sharp enough and hardy enough to be useful, but you don't mind beating up. If you have a good 3-stage electric sharpener, you can throw a <20degree edge on it, hone it quickly after every use (takes 10 seconds), and sharpen it every few months - it will stay fiercely sharp and you won't have to feel bad about eating away at it with constant sharpening. You can also do things with it that you would (or should) NEVER do with a knife that is either more delicate (take the hard japanese knives, prone to chipping if you expose to surfaces like glass and ceramic which you should never do) or more expensive. It's a bad idea, but I've tidied the odd chicken breast in a pyrex or sausage in a pan with this guy, and I can do it knowing that I can work out and kinks, nicks, or blunting I cause later and not feel too bad about it.
- It is well designed. They went for a light knife (since compressing a dense metal would have of course been a costly endeavor and not met the cost objective), and then matched that with a nice light handle that is extremely ergonomically designed. I choke down on the hilt and enjoy total control of this guy (unlike chicago cutlery, which you should almost never buy [although I have their bread knife hah). Some examples of nice touches: the back of the hilt is rounded so it doesn't hit your wrist; the hilt at the base of the blade (where the bolster would be on a forged knife) is grooved so you can fit your fingers right into it; the hilt extends down the base of the knife (where the bolster would be) so you can comfortably get your fingers out of the way, improves clearance without widening the belly of the knife.
- The knife flexes nicely. This is an added benefit to what I would *guess* but don't know is probably negative qualities of the steel, but regardless of the cause that makes this a chef's knife that is counterintuitively good at work a whole chicken with or carving around bone, especially coupled with its aforementioned cost-effectiveness that gives you more freedom with it.

To sum, this is a workhorse knife, if I owned a restaurant I would throw a bunch of these in the kitchen. It's not a great steel, and doesn't hold a great edge, but *relative to its cost* it is well-made, the factory edge is sharp, the steel is pretty good (not also it resists rust well, so the carbon content probably isn't high but if you don't plan on sharpening often (but sharpen it acute when you do) then you will probably find this increases its lifespan. Finally it is very ergonomically designed for a knife at *any* price.

Two final notes:
1) I have not performed any rigorous scientific analysis of the knife steel. My claims as to its hardness and what edge it will take are purely anecdotal, and I am not a professional sharpener. They may be using a harder steel or better annealing process than I give them credit for, in which case I deeply apologize to Victorinox, but frankly they've made a great knife at a great price anyway, so they have my full endorsement.

2) If you are looking to buy your first real set of knives, and are considering Shun, Miyabi, Henckels, Wusthof, etc. DO NOT BUY THEM YET. I repeat, WAIT. Buy this guy, learn how to sharpen it well, play with the edges you can put on it, and learn what you like and don't like about it. Then get a 10" Forschnor Victorinox and play with that. These are great knives that will serve you well in the kitchen at a low price, so use them to really get your taste in knives down, I promise they will already be an improvement on any off-brand or low-end knife you might use (low-end henckels or wusthof, oxo, chicago cutlery, etc. definitely included). Give these knives some time and enjoy them, play with how you can mess with them. Then when you're comfortable in your preferences, go buy another higher end knife. That will be a major step up, and will lead you to years of buying one or two knives at a time, depending on what you prefer for different tasks. Sets are rarely a truly good deal when it comes to use.

Hope this is helpful, and thank you to Victorinox for making a solid, workable knife at a low price. It's not a king of knives, but it's a good standard to set, the brand certainly now has my consideration.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.