Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop STEM Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Style: Huntsman II|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,317 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,889 reviews
on June 29, 2016
I have bought and used several versions of the Swiss Army knives. There are plenty of reviews that cover the pros and cons of specific versions of the Swiss Army knives (SAK), so I thought what I would do in my review is cover some of the things I like (or don't like) about the different versions in case anyone is like me and trying decide WHICH SAK they want to by. I did a lot of research before I bought any of the versions and then, of course, personally tried out different versions. So, I thought I would share my experience and what I like and don't like.

Naturally, when it comes to which SAK to buy, there are fundamental choices to be made about what size of SAK you want as well as what functionality. Obviously, that can be personal preference. So, while I'm not going to list the features of each type of SAK, I'll talk about why I like particular knives (or don't) comparing their feature based on my preferences. I think I'm probably fairly "typical", but if you have different preferences your opinions won't necessarily match mine, of course.

I've divided my review up into "small", "medium", "medium plus", and large SAKs.

Small SAK (Swiss Army Knife):

Victorinox Swiss Army Rambler Pocket Knife
Link: https://amzn.com/B000FNFXQS

The Swiss Army Rambler is really amazing in that it gives me the items I by far use the most in a SAK so small it basically disappears in your pocket. There is fundamentally no difference in overall weight or feel to "how much stuff is my pocket" by adding this SAK. It gives me the scissors and blades, which are by far my two most commonly used items, as well as screwdriver, tweezers and toothpick, which I also use quite a bit. I don't use the bottle opener too much, but it's a nice core item to have as well.

So, basically this knife gives me 90%+ of what I really use in a package so small I barely notice I'm carrying it. That's really hard to beat. If I wasn't greedy about wanting things on my every day carry (EDC) SAK (Swiss Army Knife), this would probably be the knife I use every day. As it stands, I mostly use this one when I have dress pants or otherwise less room than usual and one of the bigger ones when I'm jeans (for example).

Victorinox Jetsetter 3 Pocket Knife
Link: https://amzn.com/B00932EPYI

I bought this for the obvious reason of it's a very small knife that can theoretically get you through TSA at the aiport. I thought having a pair of scissors and the screwdriver with me on trips would be nice. The problem is after reading reviews, I've never really had the motivation to try to get it through TSA security. While most people seem to be able to do it fine, it does seem to "draw attention" more than I'd really like according to other people's reviews. So, I've just never bothered to do it.

Given that, I can't really give this version a fair review. If you want to get it scissors on a plane, it sounds like it works. I just haven't had the energy to test that theory when push came to shove.

Medium SAKs:

I'm also a big fan all of the knives in my "medium" category quite a bit. Which one works for you is really a matter of what features you want and if an additional feature is worth the, typically minor, increase in weight. These are 3 of my favorites.

Victorinox Swiss Army Super Tinker Pocket Knife
Link: https://amzn.com/B000MLU8PE
This version is a great option for me. This has all the core items I use regularly as well as some I use less frequently in a size that fits in pocket without being distracted (although it doesn't "disappear" into my pocket like the smaller rambler does. It has large and small blades, scissors, multiple screwdrivers, tweezers, and toothpicks. So, all the core things that I really use the SAK for at a very reasonable size. I don't really notice it in my pocket, but it doesn't quite "disappear" in my pocket with my rambler. I think overall it's a great combination of functionality and size.

Victorinox Swiss Army Fieldmaster Pocket Knife (Red)
Link: https://amzn.com/B00006IS69
The main advantage to me of this one over the Super Tinker is it has the wood saw. While I don't use the wood saw often, I actually use it more than you would think and it works quite well. It is slightly larger than the Super Tinker (because of the saw), but I don't really notice the difference carrying it around. Whether or not you would like it over the tinker depends on how much you want a wood saw.

Victorinox Swiss Army Explorer Plus Pocket Knife (Red)
Link: https://amzn.com/B0007QCOYM
This is another excellent option in the "medium" size SAKs. It has a lot of the elements I really like about the Champ Plus: the eyeglass screwdrivers, the pen, the pin, the magnifying glass, but is not as bulky. Two key things missing from Champion Plus are fish scaler / ruler (which I don't care much about) and the wood saw (which actually I do like as I said earlier). While I like this one A LOT whether or not I use it compared to the Army Fieldmaster depends on if I'm in a wood saw mood or a magnifying glass, eyeglass screwdriver, pen, pin mood. It's also slightly bulkier than the Fieldmaster. I use this one most of the time when I'm not using my champ plus because I typically use things like the magnifying glass and pen more than the wood saw. Also, the screwdriver isn't the "T" screwdriver, which is a bit easier. I also like having an eyeglass screwdriver with me. So, if I had to recommend one SAK to someone, it is probably this one.

Medium Plus SAK:
Victorinox Champion Plus Knife
Link: https://amzn.com/B0009KF4GG
This is one I probably carry more than I should. I like it more than the Champ version (not listed in my review) because it doesn't have the pliers which add significant size and I personally find not very useful. The pliers are too small to get good torque. If I want pliers I end up pulling out a "real" set.

It is of a size that it it is small enough to be an EDC (every day carry) tool, but really just barely in my opinion. It's noticeably bigger than the SAKs I have listed in my medium section, which is why I call it "medium plus". I notice when it's in my pocket, but it's not a nuisance...especially when I'm in jeans. The reason I like it so much is because it has all the cool stuff I want on my SAK and so I can carry it without making the choice I just talked about of do I want the wood saw or do I want the the magnifying glass, glass screwdriver, pen, and pin. With the Champion plus, I get them all! Basically, there isn't any feature I really want on my SAK that isn't on this version. So, I'm willing to put up with something that's a little larger to have the "all in one" feel to it that this has. At least, when I'm wearing jeans or maybe dockers. When I'm in pure dress pants, it's time for one of the smaller SAKs.

Large SAK:
Victorinox Swiss Army CyberTool 41 Translucent Pocket Knife (Translucent Ruby)
Link: https://amzn.com/B000LKBHJM
I'm not going to give this one a very long review, but basically it has absolutely everything I can imagine wanting even if I'm not really going to use it. :) So, I own it on the theory that rather than carrying it on my person (it's too big to carry regularly), it can sit in a drawer or a glove box and I can pull it out when I need it. The problem is, for me anyway, in practice that never happens. By the time I'm going to a drawer to pull out a tool, I can just pull out one of my normal screwdrivers (or whatever) so I do that instead. So, basically this one never gets used. But, I like the IDEA of it a lot. It's cool to own. :) If you are in a situation where you needing a smallish one size fits all tool that doesn't have to go in your pocket, I think this could be awesome.

Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp Pocket Knife
by VictorinoxLink: https://amzn.com/B0001GS19U

This SAK is basically the Champ Plus only with pliers. As I mentioned, I don't think terribly much of the pliers, but if I'm just throwing it in a drawer or a glove compartment and not trying to carry it around, why not have one with the pliers. :) I do own one I keep in my car for that reason. Too big to EDC for me.

----------------

Summary: Which SAK you use depends on what you want in terms of size and features. But, to someone not sure, I'd recommend the Victorinox Swiss Army Explorer Plus Pocket Knife (Red) (Link: https://amzn.com/B0007QCOYM). It is a great combination of some of the cool features that I use the most often. If want something really small, go with the rambler. If you can tolerate something a bit bigger, go with the Champ Plus. If you aren't going to carry it and stick it in a glove compartment or drawer, the Champ has everything really. :)
on November 24, 2014
I just ordered this knife for my son. He is 9 and will love this knife. I am 39 and he may not get this one because I love it too. I really like the feel of this knife with the new ( to me anyway) handle material. I lie the texture and the feel of quality in my hand. I got this knife for 20.00 here on Amazon and will most likely be getting one for myself. I purchased a Bantam for myself, but I may have to have one of these as well. I'm inpressed.
on January 8, 2013
This is one of my favorite knives of all time. For someone who spends a lot of time outside in the woods, it's an ideal hiking/camping companion. The wood saw alone is well worth the price listed, as it comes out of the box sharper than most quality handsaws, which makes it ideal for cutting small firewood. Steel quality is good, meaning it's going to hold a good edge for long time and be easy to sharpen (Very little work made mine wood carving sharp. Out of the box it's plenty sharp for 99% of applications, woodcarving just calls for another level.) The knife is slightly bulky, but considering the features, it's actually thinner than I expected. It's a four layer SAK style knife; it's going to be thick enough for four 3/32" slots!

One of the ideal design pros is that the grips are not slick like older style SAK grips. This grip is textured, meaning the knife will still be serviceable even when the weather craps out. The textured grips however aren't so grippy that they shred your hands while using.

Pros; Many functions, well thought-out design, scissors big enough to actually use, and all made of materials that are good quality. Blades are hard to open, a sign that when most knives would be worn out, this one will just be getting loosened up. Easy to hold on to thanks to the grip texture. No part of the knife feels like a design/manufacturing compromise to make it cheaper. Also, quite a bit lighter than I expected, seeing the size of it. It's 3/4" wide, 3-1/8" long.

Cons; Blades are hard to open, not so much because the knife is stiff, but just because the blades don't protrude enough to get my thumbnail under the slot. I keep my nails short and this makes it much more troublesome. The keyring mount makes extensive use of the smaller drop point blade uncomfortable (this could be removed, as this knife is a little bit large to carry with your keys). The primary cutting blades aren't centered in the body, meaning that the knife will tend to rotate in the hand slightly. This is getting very nit-picky about it, looking for flaws. There's really not much to hate about this piece!

Admittedly, this isn't the top of the line knife. There's no ballpoint pen, USB flash drive, magnifying glass, ninja star, makeup kit, or bullwhip in it, but for those looking for a solid camping pal, this is a whole lot of knife for not too much money. It's worth every dime I paid, and for a cheapskate like me, that's a seal of approval!
on May 22, 2015
Pictures of my new Victorinox Climber II with its little brother the Victorinox Classic SD. I was a little apprehensive of buying a Victorinox without the traditional Cellidor scales, I was wrong. I love the texturing of the nylon scales, it gives it a good grip. All the stainless steel parts meet the high quality standards I have come to expect from Victorinox. I like keeping these handy around the house and my car, I will end up buying more.
review image review image review image
on June 16, 2015
What can you say about real Swiss Army knives? Well made, durable, useful for anyone. I got one for each of my daughters when they graduated college. The knives were a symbolic gift recognizing my daughters' strength, power, and resourcefulness as a young women who are finding their way in the world. So often only men are given these knives.
on February 27, 2017
The red paneling is textured differently than previous models. It has a grip that offers more friction and hold and is a darker shade of red. The tools are sturdy, staying in their open and shut positions and come fully sharpened, having tabs built in for easy opening. Overall I am very satisfied, my only qualm is that I would prefer it if it had some shears. The best part is how compact this knife is 3.5" Length x 1" Width at the widest point, it fits into the small change pocket of jeans. At 18.99 it is hard to find a better deal. It's no wonder that this was a Macgyver tv show staple item, so useful.
on March 15, 2017
Love the Victorinox as always. Action is very smooth, clean and has a good snap to it. The accessories are strong and beautiful. I keep this at the office for various uses, and it's done its job beautifully.

One note, this version is with the grainy-texture on the main body of the knife, not the smooth glossy texture. Not that it's a bad thing, just for your information. The grainy-texture is likely to improve grip in "climbing" scenarios, and it's still comfortable and pleasant.
on April 11, 2016
I had to buy this because I lost my other Swiss Army knife that I had since 2000. I was so bummed, because I got it on sale for only $15.00 and it had just one less tool than this one does. I only bought this knife because it was also on sale at the time for $36.50. I wouldn't buy one now for the $73.40 they are going for today. It's a nice knife/tool to have because of its usefulness. It's got me out of many jams and has helped me with a lot of tasks that I would normally have had to get from my tool box. So now my EDC consists of the Swiss Army Champion Plus knife along with my 325S Tactical Survival Knife which has a 3-1/4 inch stainless steel blade and spring assisted open plus a seat belt cutter and glass breaker for $9.95 and the Hoffman Richter-100 Multi Tool which cost $19.99 + free shipping. It's like a Leatherman but it's made of 440 stainless steel with a Titanium coating instead of the 420C stainless steel like what the Leatherman is made from. I have a Leatherman 831547 Rebar as well. But I like the HR-100 Multi tool more. Both the 325S and the Hoffman Richter-100 Multi Tool are available from survivallife.com. I hope this helps.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 12, 2016
I always have a Swiss Army knife in my pocket, and to quote Mark Twain: "I was a grown man before I was smart enough to carry a pocket knife."

This is an excellent pocket knife, and I always keep this with me and it has come in extremely handy any number of times. It's small enough to carry around in my pocket without any discomfort, and it sure has some great features. A couple of observations:

- The reamer is wickedly effective and the large and small knife blades retain a nice edge. Out of the box, the blades are SHARP so beware. This isn’t a toy. The blades are finely polished and take a beautiful edge with an occasional honing.

-The wood saw is rugged and sharp. Out on a hike, I can easily cut kindling or saplings with no problem. It’s an amazing little saw.

- Never had much use for the corkscrew, but the screwdriver blades have gotten a lot of good use!

Besides my own knife, I've bought these as gifts and everybody loves them.
on April 13, 2016
I bought this back in 2014 so have used for a while now. Build quality is excellent, of course, and the selection of tools is about right. My only complaint is that the blades neither take nor (especially) keep a good edge. I'm no metallurgist, but I'd guess that Victorinox have chosen an alloy for the blades primarily on the basis of corrosion resistance. I remember reading some time ago that many knife makers prefer a good carbon steel over stainless for its ability to take and hold an edge, although there are apparently some stainless alloys which run a very close secord. I would gladly trade some rust resistance for better sharpening quality. In every other respect, though, this is a good product, as one would xpect from Victorinox.

I see that Boker has entered the multi-tool ring now and has a similar product- the Boker Plus Tech Tool with 7 tools. Their premium products (like straight razors) are still made in Germany, but this is made in China, so I am a bit leery of trying it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.