Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Victorinox Swiss Army Rally Pocket Knife
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on December 11, 2006
Great! A small, sharp knife, combination file and small screwdriver, tweezer, toothpick, and philips screwdriver/bottle opener combo tool. All in one package that can go on your keyring.

The question is, should you get the Rally, or the Classic, which is the identical pocket knife, but with a small scissor instead of the combination small philips head screwdriver / bottle opener?

It's a matter of which you get the most use out of; I have both but prefer the Rally for the bottle opener. Most people have the Classic, perhaps because the Rally is newer and isn't as well-known.

Have a look at the classic before you decide; it is on the Amazon website for the same price.
on September 7, 2012
The Rally is a variation of the "Classic" Victorinox mini Swiss Army knife (which one sees everywhere) in which a small combination bottle opener - mini Phillips screwdriver is substituted for the Classic's small scissors. It's 2.25" closed.

A lot is packed into a tiny package with a small thin drop-point blade, a combination nail file - mini flathead screwdriver, a combination bottle-opener - mini Phillips screwdriver - wire stripper, plus the trademark tweezers, toothpick and tiny keyring. The bottle opener actually works OK, despite the size. It has a great combination of tools, the quality you expect from Victorinox, and all at a reasonable price. It's also completely non-threatening. No one at the office will ever look at you funny when you pull it out. The only problem - I just can't bring myself to like it. I've tried carrying it for a couple months, but the knife is just too dinky for my taste. The blade is thin and narrow to the point of feeling fragile, though I'm sure it's capable of slicing open packages and envelopes, and cutting string and loose threads for years. There are people who love the Classic and for them, this is a good variation if you want a bottle-opener instead of the little scissors. However, I personally prefer an every day carry pocket knife that's a little larger - a "compact" rather than a "mini", one about 2.75" closed, light and unobtrusive in the pocket, but a bit more functional.

If you're after a small pocket knife with a bottle opener (smaller than a Boy Scout knife), there aren't a lot of options available (which I don't understand, because there are tons of small 2-blade knives). I'd recommend also looking at the Buck Metro and the Victorinox Waiter or Bantam. They aren't minis, but they are slim and light and are comfortable to carry loose in a pocket. If you are OK with a keychain knife, this one and it's sister the "Classic" are best in their class.
on January 6, 2009
I've always carried a pocket knife and find myself using it all the time. Victorinox definitely makes the best ones and they last forever so it's worth spending the extra couple bucks, instead of getting a generic one. I prefer the Rally over the Classic because I never used the scissors and I find the bottle opener/Phillips head much more useful. I've been the savior at more than one tailgate or party where we didn't realize that the bottles we bought weren't twist off. Careful at the airport though, I always forget I have it and they confiscate it at security.
on May 31, 2016
I don't even notice it's in my pocket. And the little blade turns out to be adequate for daily uses. The magnetized phillips is great for when my kids come up to me with a gadget needing a new battery, and the tweezers get a surprised amount of use. There are some drawbacks. The fingernail file isn't very aggressive; be prepared to spend some time if you want to do much to your fingernails with it. The cap opener WILL open a beer, if you're prepared to place it carefully and make a couple of attempts. It will rip many beer caps instead of opening them. And the scales--this bugs me the most--are susceptible to some chemicals, most problematically to insect repellant with DEET. My scales are all spotted because I sprayed my legs and then put on trunks and dropped the knife in my pocket.

I've stopped carrying the Rally in favor of a Rambler, which is pretty much the same but includes a very nice pair of scissors which have turned out to be more useful than I would have thought.
on November 23, 2015
I bought myself a Rally and my wife a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife, Red since I thought she might like the scissors. Well, if you're going to be cutting anything with a tiny tool, using a tiny knife is about as easy as tiny scissors. And that brings me to the trade off between the two...

The screw driver/bottle opener on this is my favorite SAK tool of all time. It's the perfect size for small, but not quite eyeglasses-small, Phillips screws. It's magnetized. It has a bottle opener that requires you to line it up on the crimp, but still works. Just this past weekend I used it to open up a malfunctioning piece of electronics to get us out of a jam at church (the control box that operates the raising and lowering of the projector screen wasn't working). Other times I've used it to open up Dell laptops. The only drawback is that due to the curved shape, it won't work with deeply recessed screws.

If you're in the market for a key chain SAK, and think you might ever need a small screwdriver, I recommend this one much more highly than the Classic.
on June 1, 2012
This is just like the Victorinox SD Classic in size, but the scissors have been replaced with a bottle opener and very small Phillip's driver. I find these generally more useful than the scissors, though some people can't seem to live without them. If you are willing to go with a slightly thicker package, you can get a Rambler, which has the bottle-opener/phillips and the scissors. A little bit thicker than that, and you can have the Manager, which replaces the toothpick with a ballpoint pen. I decided to go for the thinner package, but sometimes I wish I had the scissors on here too. This was the main knife I kept on my person for a while (not for self-defense, obviously), but these days I usually go with my Leatherman PS4 Squirt or my Victorinox Cadet. The Rally is still great, and cheap as heck. Four stars because, while it's light on features, the compactness is great, and it's a good bang for very little buck.
on December 12, 2015
This is my 3rd one. Love these little guys. Very sharp right out of the box. Extremely solid for a small knife and very durable. If amazon continues to put these on lightening deals I will continue to buy more. Fits very well on your key chain and you don't realize how much you use this thing until you get one. I use this little blade all the time. I now have one of these all all of my sets of keys. Don't let its size fool you. It can definitely do a lot of stuff the bigger knives can. I actually probably use the tweezers more then anything else as they are great for pulling ingrown hairs or any small hangnails. All in all i would definitely recommend this product and will likely be buying more if they go on lightening deal again.
on August 12, 2016
Smaller than I pictured it--though I guess that was my fault for not looking closely enough to the measurements. This is about the size of something you would use for a key chain, and the screwdrivers are useful only for tiny screws--although I've had projects lately that involved tiny screws, so it's been useful. That said, it is better built than you would expect for a knife that looks like a toy. If you just want to carry something that takes very little room in your pocket, to pull out when you want to cut a piece of string or open a package, this works well.
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2013
I have owned a Classic for years and gave it to my wife to keep in her purse. I normally prefer a scissors option, but my keychain has a small Leatherman on it with pliers and scissors.

This one is super handy to keep in your bag. It may even be TSA approved now. But never mind that. I put this in my briefcase. You never know when you need tweezers, a toothpick, and small screwdrivers (especially near computers and things with batteries). The bottle opener is handy after a long day at work.

I have several Swiss Army knives and I have yet to have a bad one. Although I didn't buy this one. It was a gift from a vendor I work with.
on May 27, 2009
This little guy is so useful... The bottle opener/philips head is way more useful that scissors. I can't say enough how great this little tool is!! Everyone is always so thankful I have this with me.