Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: VideoSecu Key Lock 9 Channel Output 12 V DC CCTV Distributed Power Supply Box for Security Camera WK9
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

VINE VOICEon October 16, 2011
I read the other review about power being provided even when the switch was off and assumed that person had gotten a bum unit. So when mine arrived I tested it with my meter before plugging the cameras into it. Everything worked as expected so I went forward with the install. As soon as I attached the negative lead from my camera to this power supply, all the green LEDs lit up and the camera started working. The problem was, I still had the power switch OFF! That bugged me and since it's such a simple circuit and I had to open it up and see if I could fix it. Once I took it apart and saw how it worked I immediately saw the flaw in the design. The positive terminal is always hooked up to the leads and the power switch opens or closes on the ground supply. This works fine except that this is a camera power supply and every camera I have has a shared ground between the power lead and the BNC connector. So the moment you hook up the ground wire of the camera and you plug in the BNC connector to your DVR/TV... you just grounded the camera and then the circuit is completed regardless of the which postion the power switch is in. They should have switched the +12V lead to prevent this ground problem.

If you have any electronics skills, it's pretty simple to fix this circuit. I fixed mine by altering the design to switch the +12V lead. This requires just a little soldering, breaking a trace on the board and adding a jumper wire. Now it works like it should. I should have never had to do this... I felt like I should have returned the product and just built my own supply from Radio Shack parts but it likely would have cost more so that's why I chose to fix this. If you can live with the power supply always on then it seems fine, but I like my power buttons to work. Find something else.
55 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2011
The good:
- It powers my security cameras, a cable modem and a few other misc items in a residential wiring closet just fine.
- The security cameras are less fuzzy than when powered by the wall warts they came with.
- Metal housing is sturdy and easy to mount. Feels quality and looks decent.

The bad:
- No documentation. Just a sticker on the inside case.
- It seems to pass power no matter if the main switch is on or off...?!
- It seems to pass power to a channel even if I remove the fuse on that channel...?!
- All the LEDs light up no matter whether it is switched on, off or has a fuse removed.

These cons are kindof scary. Makes me thing this thing was wired poorly or there is an unintentional solder bridge somewhere. I'll report back (rather ticked off) if it blows up my cable modem and cameras. For the time being its hard to complain i guess. It is running my stuff better than before, the closet looks cleaner, and if I want stuff off I can just unplug it. For $39 what do you expect? Its probably a chinese knock off that is miswired but if you want 12v power it seems to provide it.
on October 11, 2013
I noticed some reviews have said the power stays on when turned off. I dont know if they got a faulty one or just dont know how to wire them. I have everything from cameras to heat and motion senors hooked to it and have no problems. It even works my wipers on some of my cameras. It dont have enough power to run my retractable barricades but that is alright. Very pleased with this box. I currently am using 6 of these and not one has had a issue. The boxes them self are small witch i like. Mounting wise there is only 2 holes at the top making it easy to pull them off from the bottom but with a drill i added two more. All in all this is a great product.
on April 23, 2014
Ok First i read bad and good reviews about this CCTV power box i don't know why someone write the unit still ON while you turn off the power that's not true, after you turn off the unit the green lights keep still on while a few seconds but they go off is impossible to make a mistake wiring this unit because come with pretty clear understandable instructions green=Protective Earth White=Neutral Black or red = phase i recently install 3 cameras and i can see the difference better than using 12 dc connections if your planning install a 8 or 16 cameras make your self a favor and buy this unit is not big box is small but look fantastic very professional.
on May 22, 2016
I've never had a problem with VideoSecu products. They're cheap, but they work well for what you pay. I thought this power supply would be up to par with the other products I have used, but unfortunately, I was finally bit by the cheap quality. I haven't been able to even install this yet because I cannot get the knockouts out. They are a joke. They won't come out no matter what I try. Screwdriver and pliers wont work. Add a hammer? Still nothing. Drill them out? Surprisingly difficult to drill through the walls even though they bend when the wind changes direction. The box bends and splits at the seams when you try to pry them out. Of course I waited until after the return window to attempt to install this. I'm going to have to cut out the entire bottom panel of this to make it work. Garbage. Buyer beware!
review image review image review image
on January 17, 2015
Much smaller than the one that came with my system. That one was big with a lot of empty space inside.
My advice is to purchase a bunch of female and male pigtails. Then install all the female pigtails in this box. And of course male pigtails to cables.
This way you can connect or disconnect any select camera whenever you wish.
It would be nice if there were such power supply boxes sold with bunch of female 12DC sockets just ready to plug in the camera.
on September 14, 2015
I got this unit, because it was small enough to fit in what was already a tight location or I would have used my much larger 16 amp B-Tron!

When I received this unit it was smaller than I thought it would be, but this would be ok; however as others have noted the knock outs on this panel were not easy to remove, and during removal I nearly damaged the entire unit and had to stop before it was too late.
I ended up removing the guts and working on the metal panel to get two knock outs removed using a small grinding wheel to remove the paint and welds, as with all PWR or security panels this shouldn't require that much force to remove these.
Other than this, it appears that this power supply will work, but for how long it will last, I guess time will tell.

If I were to looking to buying another small power supply I think I would have looked further for something this small, as it was I already had another unit that has 10 cameras hooked up, but the location for this unit gets very warm during the summer so I have it set for off times during the day and wanted this one to power 4 cams 24/7. So I hope it works and does not damage the cameras when it does fail such as it is with some cheap power supplies.
on February 12, 2016
I think this is the best find in a long time. I wish I knew about these things a few years back. I use this box to power my 8 CCTV cameras for my DVR system. I was sick of those stupid little power transformers that come with the cameras. They don't last and are awkward to plug in. This box eliminates all that. Just connect your cameras' power cable wires to the screws and plug it in and all your cameras run off one power source. This box is really well built. I actually found it surprisingly thick and I assume the internal electronics are of equal quality. The power supply also has a fuse to protect it and an on/off switch. The only thing that would make this better is if it had a 12Volt back-up battery for power outages.
I highly recommend this power box.
on March 11, 2016
Product was very reasonably priced. Purchased for a client for a camera installation project. I like that the power supply has screw terminals allowing you to install a different power cord if necessary, though the cord that came with the unit was suitable for my installation. Not having fuses to replace was also a huge plus. The knockouts are almost impossible to punch without mutilating the box, but after a little bit of difficulty, a Dremel made quick work of cleaning up the rest. I also installed some rubber grommets just in case. The included lock was a welcomed addition - more of a deterrent than real security. I'm not a fan of the power switch. It feels flimsy and after a handful of on/off cycles, I was afraid it would snap right off the circuit board. Overall it worked well and for the price, I'd definitely buy it again.
on May 18, 2015
Product works fine, EXCEPT the hole to punch for wire pass is impossible to punch. Horrible design build.

Picture shows what happen just from trying to punch hole to pass wire thru.
review image