Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $4.49 shipping
+ $6.05 shipping
View-Master Virtual Reality Starter Pack
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $6.50. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Enter the world of virtual reality with the View-Master Virtual Reality Starter Pack
- This kid-friendly device will surround you with stunning 360-degree environments so you feel as if you are really there
- Download one of the View-Master VR apps to your smartphone
- Then slide your smartphone into the viewer, look at the Preview Reel and simply click the lever to launch yourself into 360-degree immersive experiences
- The Preview Reel included with the View-Master VR Starter Pack allows you to demo available apps so you can try all Experience Packs
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
From the manufacturer
An Immersive 3D Experience!
View-Master VR that With Google Cardboard places you right in the middle of a 'photosphere'! What does that mean? It means you’re completely surrounded by a 360-degree view of the View-Master experience you’ve selected to explore! While holding the viewer to your eyes, move your head -- literally, move your head -- and you’ll find that your view changes just as if you were really standing within the scene taking a look around. No matter which way you look, you’ll find the image stretches around you, above you and behind you as if you were really there! And with a simple click of the lever, you can interact with the image and explore the virtual world around you!
An Easy-to-Use Experience
The experience is easy to enter. View-Master VR that Works With Google Cardboard is compatible with iOS and Android devices. Just download the free app for your iOS or Android device, slide your device into the viewer and you’re ready to go! Look through the viewer at the Preview Reel and digital icons appear that seem to float in the air above it -- an effect called augmented reality. Choose the experience you want by looking at the appropriate Augmented Reality icon and, with a single click of the View-Master lever, launch yourself into a virtual reality world.
Learn by Experience!
Now kids can take virtual journeys to anywhere! Travel to other countries, into outer space, beneath the sea or even through time. Immerse yourself in 360-degree interactive environments and explore these amazing virtual worlds. Click on interactive hot spots to dive deeper into the scene, uncover interesting facts or transport yourself to new sites with even more to discover!
What’s in the Box?
Includes one View-Master VR viewer, one Preview Reel, one iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s adapter and user guide. Colors and decorations may vary.
Get the Full Experience!
Expand your horizons with View-Master Experience Packs. Each Experience Pack will open the doors of your child’s imagination and take them to places they’ve only dreamed of seeing. The Starter Pack includes a Preview Reel that provides access to demos of the available View-Master Experience Packs (sold separately). Collect them all to travel the globe, explore the cosmos and enter whole new worlds of discovery and adventure -- you won’t believe what you can see!
- Compatible smartphone required (not included): Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note4, Motorola Moto X (2014), Motorola Droid Turbo, LG G4, LG G3, HTC One, Nexus 6, iPhone 6 plus, iPhone 5x, iPhone 5c***, iPhone 5***, iOS 8 and above. NOTE: View-Master VR may also work with newer model Android smartphones not listed above that have screens between 5 and 6 inches. ***View-Master VR apps may not be optimized for iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.
View-Master Virtual Reality Starter Pack
Enter the world of virtual reality with the View-Master Virtual Reality Starter Pack. The Starter Pack includes 1 View-Master VR viewer, 1 Preview Reel, 1 adapter for iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s and a user guide.
Virtual Reality Starter Pack
Wildlife Experience Pack
Destinations Experience Pack
Space Experience Pack
The View-Master Virtual Reality viewer is your portal to immersive, virtual reality adventures that will transport you around the world and beyond. For more than 75 years, generations of kids have been introduced to the wonder of 3-D by View-Master. Now, get ready to experience a whole new level of realism with View-Master VR that Works with Google Cardboard! This innovative system will open your eyes to the world of virtual reality. Simply download one of the free View-Master apps to your compatible smartphone (not included). Then slide your smartphone into the viewer and place the Preview Reel in front of you. A 3-D augmented reality menu will appear -- digital icons that seem to float above the reel. Make your selection by looking at the one you want to visit, then click the lever to launch yourself through time and space into 360-degree views that completely surround you. Look up, look down, look around -- everywhere you turn, you’ll find something new to see! Interact with your environment by clicking the lever to pull up videos, images, fun facts and mini-games. The Preview Reel included with the Starter Pack allows you to sample View-Master VR apps, such as Space, Destinations and National Geographic: Wildlife. You can fully explore these exotic new worlds by purchasing View-Master VR Experience Packs (sold separately). Completely kid-friendly, the new View-Master provides a safe portal to stunning locations and an immersive, imaginative learning experience unlike anything you’ve seen before! The Starter Pack includes one View-Master viewer, one Preview Reel, one adapter for the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s and a user guide. The Preview content within the associated apps is free; access to additional content and apps is sold separately. Colors and decorations may vary. Compatible smartphone required (not included): Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note4, Motorola Moto X (2014), Motorola Droid Turbo, LG G4, LG G3, HTC One, Nexus 6, iPhone 6s plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c***, iPhone 5***, iOS 8.1 and above. NOTE: View-Master VR may also work with newer model Android smartphones not listed above that have screens between 5 and 6 inches. ***View-Master VR apps may not be optimized for iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.
Top customer reviews
We have not had the viewer long so I cannot speak to how it will survive a 5 year old...but I can tell you it was wonderful to see him and hear the excitment in his voice as he explored the dinosaurs and space.
- Very well constructed. Far better than any other viewer I've tried. Looks to be extremely durable.
- On the S6 the FOV width is approximately 98% of the display.
- The AR demo is very impressive. It uses the phone's camera to get background through a neutral front that should be open to where I've seen the camera pacement on most phones. When I say impressive I do not mean content. That is primitive and just puts a little AR scene on the top of the disk that comes with it when you view it close up. Great potential, though, and background is as good as the camera is.
- The Android VR (Cardboard) Tuscany Drive app is beautiful in it but that is largely a function of the phone (the S6 isn't powerful enough for smooth motion.)
- Insertion of the phone into it is sweet and they've provided a very robust yet very manageable mechanism to hold and release the phone. It won't move once you've inserted it. I've seen nothing as good.
- Access to the phone is easy and opens with it held firmly in place if you want normal interaction with the phone. A weak point of the design is the latch. While easy enough to use it looks and feels more than a bit fragile.
- Excellent access to S6 side buttons when inserted.
- The black shroud that meets the face is soft rubber.
- The lever works very well as the Cardboard's magnet pull or a screen touch.
- The view window is circular and you can't see nearly as close to the top and bottom of the display as you can the left and right edges.
- Can't access USB for charging (or OTG storage.) But that may be hackable with sharp tools.
- Can't get to the headphone port without some hacking either but good Bluetooth headphones are now pretty cheap. I will be using Bluetooth for a game controller, however, and don't know if the S6 can have two devices paired.
- Cannot be used with glasses that have an outside width of greater than 130mm. Most normal glasses are wider than that.
- There are no optics adjustments at all. It happens to match my IPD well but YMMV. Having no focal plane adjustment will require people who are far sighted to find appropriate strength reading glasses with a width less than 130mm. I have plastic lenses in my eye with a fixed focus at infinity. The image plane is not at infinity so I need to find something suitable to get things in focus. It wouldn't be hard to place correction lenses on the interior of it and I hope Mattel will consider that.
- The black rubber shroud is a bit wider than most people's heads will be but being soft it isn't too hard to close it up to fully isolate from ambient light with mild inward pressure from your hands if you hold it with both of them.
- Being of robust construction it is a bit on the heavy side but not objectionable to me. I just tried taping it to the bill of a baseball cap and such adaption should work fine to make it hands free. I'm going to try a magnetic cap mount. Sugru should bond well to the plastic they used.
- The instructions that come with it are useless. They say to "Download and Launch an Experience Pack App" by which they mean to say any of the Mattel apps you can find in the Android Play Store but searching on "Experience Pack App" gives you nothing relevant. Better instructions are needed also on how to use their apps.
Well, now off to try some of the other Android VR (Cardboard) apps and content (after I find a way to correct for my eyes.) I'm particularly intrested in the SBS YouTube and Street View apps.
If I come up with more I'll add it in comments to this. My overall take: a steal at $30 and head and shoulders better than any other Android VR HMD devices I've tried which is more than a few. To be fair I haven't tried the Homido or other plastic HMD's in its class.
Enter the View Master. This thing is plastic, heavy duty, drop-proof, and comfortable against the forehead. I have zero qualms about letting my little three year old nephew use it because I know he won't damage it even if it falls.
HOWEVER - this has to be the best cheap, plastic VR phone machine on the market. It includes a button - in the classic spot of the View Master button we all know and love. Many VR headsets do not include this button and it's aggravating to watch a lot of VR things as a result. This also will fit just about any phone. I can fit my iPhone 6s in there comfortably and my SO can just fit his Droid in there (albeit without cases on).
The kids (and us) have experienced the Grand Canyon, roman ruins, an eclipse in the arctic, Apollo 11 landing, a rollercoaster and a fighter jet ride all on a rainy afternoon in the living room. The View-master is "Google Cardboard compatible" and works great on YouTube and all Android/iOS applications. While a high DPI phone (such as iPhone 6S, latest Samsung or LG) is a must have, it is not required to have fun. The 3D + 360 videos are probably the most amazing.
The 3D effect is very immersive...to the point where it is downright disturbing at times. You can sometimes forget that it is not reality. It is a constant fight who gets to use it next. Be careful though -- you may never see your phone again.
For the grown ups later -- the "Space Girl" series on YouTube is freaking hilarious.
EDIT: after using it for a few weeks, the latch has become quite a bit easier to use, though I would still consider it a very poor design. My kids will probably never be able to open it by themselves, but I will at least bump it up one star now that my biggest problem with it isn't as significant anymore.