Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,119 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,214 reviews
on December 28, 2012
Definitely worth the price but there's a reason it doesn't cost more. Still, I would purchase these as inexpensive gifts.

PROS:

1. Good picture quality
2. Easy to use
3. Great price

CONS:

1. Power cord is so short you can't use it without an extension cord. This is not an exaggeration unless you are planning to place the frame on the floor.

2. The card reader doesn't have a secure hold to protect the card; such as a bay cover or 'click' into place.

3. The software distorts many photos, stretching them, but does not alter others. I have been unable to discern what protects some but not others.

4. Only reads jpg files so any other files on the disk will not appear in the slide show.
33 comments| 267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
I recently bought this as a gift. I wanted to have a feel of the device and make sure how it behaves before gifting it. Overall I would give it a 4 star, because of what it offers at such a price and not to forget everything seems to work fine as well as promised. Here are certain pros/cons of the item according to me.

Pros:
- It offers a clear and crisp display of the picture. The basic job of such a device is to show crisp pictures which it successfully does.
- Normally the picture frame viewer have large border areas because of which the actual screen where the picture is shown is very small while the actual device is quite big. This has no such issues and offers great viewing.
- the settings page is very intuitive and simple. No frills and easy to work with device.
- very light as well. With a good SD card you can plug and completely forget.

Cons
- the quality of the material is kinda plastic. Doesn't feel good - but then at that price one can't really expect much.

What I really liked the product is it offers to present what it claims at a very competitive price. As of now I am really impressed by the product. My review may change depending on my experience with it.
99 comments| 242 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2015
We had a ViewSonic digital photo frame that used a flash drive for several years, and it worked great until it just stopped working one day. Since we had such a good experience with the first one, we bought this one to replace it. At first we put up with the distortion of some of the photos and the orientation of others that was just off, but after less than 2 months all the photos now display as washed out and extremely faded. We've tried changing the auto-lighting, resetting it, and anything else we could think of, to no avail. So, I'll be sending this one back.

UPDATE: Just tried to go through the return process only to discover that it was only eligible for a 30-day return, so I can no longer return it. Seriously?!? I don't know about anyone else, but I expect a $50+ digital frame to last for more than 30 or even 60 days!!!! Now we have a pricey piece of trash. I expected better than this from both ViewSonic and Technology Galaxy (the seller) and have knocked the 2nd star off my earlier review. Not that they care....

2nd UPDATE: I've added a photo as an example, which is supposed to be that of our grandson at the beach. While the white frame's color looks a little off due to the lighting, the look of the photo displayed by this digital photo frame is accurate (the original photo is shown next to it).
review image review image
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2013
This was pretty easy to set up and looks good enough (although a little thin, I echo the other poster who said the thinness made it look a little cheap). My problem was that a lot of my photos had to be re-formatted to be displayed on the frame. If your file size is over 4000 pixels in either direction it's too big, and you will just get a black screen with the "no" symbol (red crossed out circle). I didn't realize this until after I had loaded up a bunch of pictures on the chip. So heads up, if you have any pictures taken with a DSLR you will need to shrink them to a max of 4000 pixels.
11 comment| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2015
I wish I could give this frame zero stars. I received one as a Christmas present and quickly purchased another one so I could have one at work and one at home. The first one crapped out just after the return window closed. The screen suddenly appeared washed out and I couldn't get it to right itself no matter what I tried. The second frame just did the same thing today, so they both lasted two months or less. Both frames died outside the return window, so you can save yourself some trouble by just taking your money and throwing it in the garbage.
review image
on December 7, 2014
The picture quality is good, but my issue with this product is it automatically orients photos into landscape mode, regards of how they are saved or formatted on a computer.

You can rotate the photos in the photo frame, but that is only for that one time, meaning the settings don't stick. So pictures revert back to the default landscape orientation. Great if that's all you have or you're going to edit every single photo with extra padding on the sides. Ahh no.

Nice device, but it should either have a setting to keep orientation from a PC or be able to at least let you saving individual photo settings which it does not. No firmware updates on Viewsonic's site so what you see is what you get.

I, sadly, returned it.
on April 8, 2013
First off, let's call a spade a spade. This screen is advertized on Amazon as "800x600" (which by mathematical calculations is a 4:3 aspect ratio, so anyone expecting higher quality than 800x600 is mistaken on by the description of the product.) However...

As acknowledged in many of the reviews, the length of the AC adapter cord is closer 36", not 2-feet as described by others. In fairness however, I found that the lengths of the wire was still insufficient to accommodate my needs of an 18" table *plus* the ability of using extra slack in the wire to pull it forward for settings and removal of the memory card. To add insult to injury, the size of the power adapter plug is not a common size, making it further difficult to replace the 5-volt adapter with something with a longer wire. Ugg!

Being 800x600, one cannot expect photographic quality from this device; you're not paying for this kind of quality. Frankly, I about several years ago I purchased a similar product and realized I was on the "Bleeding edge" (not the "leading edge") of this technology. Not much has changed in this time span apparently.

For example, how hard would it be (a rhetorical question for the programmers) to code a "desolve" fade from one picture to the next? Honestly, does anyone know of any paper-print picture frame that changes from one picture to another with some fancy-smancy wipe effect? I don't say that in critique of this particular product, but of an important point: If we choose to change pictures in a physical frame, we don't see distracting graphics grabbing our attention, right? Well, what's the point here?

This lead me to a couple of realizations about the point of purchasing this product (purchasing advice):
1. DO NOT purchase this as a "slide-show" device...it's not worth the work.
2. Plan on only landscape pictures, or at a minimum, "square" portrait pictures. Anything resembling portrait is too compressed to be useful.
3. Since this isn't really intended as a "slide-show" device, plan on putting pictures on it that you'll tolerate more than 30 minutes.
4. Delete "garbage" pictures, like when you went to the zoo with your kids and took a picture of the elephant. Yea, it was fun at the time and the kids still get joy of looking at the singular elephant on your computer/tablet today, but in the context of a "Photo Frame", looking at an elephant for 30 minutes can drive one crazy.
5. If you have portrait pictures that you *must* include on the drive, crop them to be as square (or better still closer to 800x600 as possible). But honestly, square pictures (which are displayed with black borders) are acceptable.
6. Whittle down your pictures to those you are willing to look at for long periods of time (as the point of a "Photo Frame"). if you have two pictures of your child's birth and 10 pictures of their first birthday, I would suggest balancing the ratio for a more even display ratio.

Back to the device itself, the picture is quite good and except for the setting of "stretch", everything can be left as-is. I'm not sure why "Stretch" is a default, because even a moonlight setting would show an *oval* moon if stretched, so be sure to change it.

The front physical design is sleek and nice, but but back leaves a lot to be desired This specifically addresses the fact that the SDCard (*not* Micro-SDCard) sticks out beyond the base. In other words, if you have a two-three-year-old who likes to put their hands on things, you can reasonably expect that the SDCard will be broken in half.

Misc. Notes: This device only supports a standard SDCard (not "Micro-SDCard", USB drive, or anything else). Though I'm recording this as a negative against the product, in fairness I should report that of a 4gig SDCard, I'm only using 125meg (986 files). Since SDCard's have dropped in price so dramatically in recent months, I can see it easy to purchase multiple SDCard's based on local themes (like "Christmas"), and putting the appropriate cards in at the correct time.

Features: Though I didn't initially think I'd initially like the automatic screen dimming and screen blanking feature (which blanks to both an analog and digital clock), I must admit I was wrong on both counts. The light sensor that detects when it's time to switch from photo's to a dimmed clock works quite well, as does the clock timer. I HAVE NOT used the calendar feature as that seems more oriented towards business users who need to see the calendar at every second of the day, which doesn't apply to me.

Bottom line: If the seller would list that the product comes with a short cord, I would change this review to a 5-star. The picture quality is good, the ability to program the turn-on/turn-off time is great, and not being a image proof-reader, the picture quality is quite good.

I would strongly recommend it to others who can pre-load it with landscape portraits (close to 800x600), and those who aren't going to put a magnifying glass to the screen.

Hey folks, it's a photo frame, not a digital image proof-reader...accept for what it is, OK?

PS: Please rate my review as positive, or if you disagree, post a comment. I promise to reply to all comments that are negative until I've answered your question in a positive perspective (for you, not the item).

****** UPDATE 4/22/2013 ******
It must be reported that a bug exists in the randomizatization of pictures of this device; something I could not report on previously due to the need of long-term experience. It's not signifancant, but very relevant.

First, the timer function that turns the photo-frame on and off at a given time does indeed work perfectly. I used to have mine set to turn on at 6:00AM, and then turn off at 10:00PM, until...

That was until I discovered that the exact same pictures sequenced in the exact same "random" order every day. THAT IS NOT RANDOM!!! After turning off the timer and letting the thing just dim a night, I find that it does the closest thing to random that I can expect from it. STUPID DEVICE PROGRAMMERS!

Please let me explain the last statement. When the timer turns on at 6AM, it would display picture 23, 14, 104, 13. On the very next day, it would again display picture 23, 14, 104, 13. And so forth and so on. I never recognized this in my earlier review because it took a few days to notice that at 8:30AM I saw the same picture as yesterday (and the day before). The solution is to *not* use the timer feature.

Secondly (and admittedly less important), the random function used in this device is ancient technology and quite poor. Think about it for a second; doesn't "true random" mean that the same picture might display every other picture for 5 mintues? Sure! Because random has no set pattern (or another way to put it, a pattern is included in the random sequence)?

Modern day random devices like MP3 players examine the list of files it is to "randomize", compose the list, and then plays it (making sure duplicates don't re-appear). At the end of the entire "random" list, it repeats construction of the randomized list to ensure you hear true random listings.

However, this picture frame fails to follow that inherit logic, and will display the same picture from time-to-time without regards to the fact that the specific picture displayed one hour ago (I have my frame set to change pictures every 30 minutes).

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a deal breaker, but I'm only cautioning you that this frame doesn't do random in a way that your car CD player or portable MP3 player does (eliminate duplicates in the random list). In the case of this product, it *will* very well duplicate images.

I bought this using "Points" on my credit card, so it was essentially "free". So, I'll accept the inherit failure of the random function.

~

Off topic, I've read other reviews about "space", and if you don't mind, I'd like to address them:

First, the maximum resolution of this device is 800x600...providing it more than that is a waste of space on your SD card.

Second, DPI has *no impact* when it comes to digital displays (DPI stands for "Dot Per Inch" which is a printer characteristic). Suggestion: Using Bing to search for "dpi doesn't matter", and read what the authors say.

Third, since the desired resolution is 800x600, use any tool available to resize your images to this ratio (which is 4x3 incidentally, same as the old-fashioned TV sets).

To accomplish resizing from various sources (Android Phone, Nikon Camera, scanned images), I use "Visualizer Photo Resize". As a free program, it can't be beat. I set it's "Max Pixel Width" to 800, "Max Pixel Height" to 600, and turn off "Autofix colors" {Note: I'm using version 3.7.1.0, which may differ from your settings. Hopefully my advice will apply.} Lastly, I'm setting the JPG Compression to 90, which seems more than sufficient for good viewing quality.

So using remedial math, if I can fit 1,012 images in 118mb per picture of SDCard space, and each picture averages around 116kb, assuming a rather small SDCard of 4gb, it should hold about 34 thousand pictures. Is this not enough for any human being?

Regarding questions I've read about pictures not displaying, the biggest culprit I've found is the image size (the frame cannot display large megabyte images). Please use a program like described above and reduce the size.

~

The initial review said that this device works well for it's intended purpose; a player for random {landscape} images that you like to seek pleasure, from time to time.

My opinion has not changed, other than the "random" issues discussed above.
44 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2017
I was going to make a printed photo album for my special needs brother who lives in a group home and then this idea struck me. This is so simple to load and then turn on and off. I bought the SIM card separately on Amazon as well (listed as what others bought with it which was convenient) and had a great time going through old family albums, scanning, and then saving to the card and inserting it into the digital frame. His caregivers told me he was fascinated and they were also surprised, as he is getting into Alzheimers as well, that he was naming all of us as the photos went by., even "Mom" who passed 15 years ago. I pre-set it for the time to pause on each photo which is a very nice feature. All he has to do is turn it on or off. This is a wonderful gift for anyone but choosing photos yourself and giving to a loved one is a wonderful gift, especially those in special care or nursing homes. Elderly loved ones who are starting to lose their memories or anyone living alone or far away would love this gift, and putting together the photos for them is a fun and satisfying labor of love.
on January 4, 2015
EDIT: After writing the following glowing review the frame died 3 days after the ability to return it expired. So I'm lowering it from a 4 star to a 1 star. Even with all the positives it still comes down to "Will it still be working a year from now?". Unfortunately the answer was it wouldn't be working in 2 months, let alone a year.

What can I say? This item was way better than expected. I thought it was just going to be another cheap picture frame with bad picture quality and all. In fact, I bought this as a stocking stuffer for my daughter as I couldn't think of anything else. She's only 9 so I figured she wouldn't be too picky about the quality. I figured we'd load a few of her favorite pictures, put it on a shelf and forget about it. I was wrong.

The picture quality is way better than the resolution would suggest and is sharp with great contrast. It is very reliable and just keeps chugging. The optional time and calendar display on the picture are a good feature. But this is where I had to knock off a star because the calendar shows double and has the month's horoscope sign instead of the month's name as a heading. Kind of strange and I couldn't figure out how to change it. Another very cool feature is when the room lights go out you can have it stop the picture show and display a dim analog clock. Great to see what time it is in the middle of the night without the glare of the full on screen.

All in all, I would highly recommend this product.
on May 19, 2015
We bought 2 ViewSonic VFD820 Digital Photo Frames, one to give as a Christmas gift and one for ourselves. It looks like a very good product at first glance as the pictures initially displayed were bright and crisp. Enjoy it while it last as our experience with those 2 units is that either the unit will crash completely or will no longer display the pictures adequately after only a few months of usage.

You cannot count on the warranty either as the unit that crashed completely was replaced with a unit that no longer display the pictures adequately! 2 units is maybe a small sample size, yet it seems clear to us that the design is defective, stay away from this product unless you want to write the same review yourself in 2 months from now.
review image