Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 16, 2015
After a long rearch for a budget projector i decided to go with this one instead of benq 1070 as this was on sale on amazon for 520. After using it for a month, i can say that i am very happy with my decision.. just cant find any flaw at all. The picture is bright and colors are fantastic though i am projecting directly on the wall (dont see any need for a screen). I have not seen any rainbow effect at all. It is very compact and easy to use. I have plugged it to Onkyo 7.1 receiver via hdmi and using hdmi splitter to run TV in parallel. I am able to play chromecast, firestick, blueray via receiver without any issues. This is plug and play so setup was quick and easy. We've been watching movies almost every night (using Kodi on firestick) and with my definitive tech speakers it just feels like being in a theater and even better. Check the photos for picture clarity.
145 helpful votes
146 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on June 26, 2013
NOTE: Since this review is so popular, I will update it on a regular basis as I find out more about this projector. Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or want to request clarification. (Last Updated: Sep 28, 2014)

Pros:
This projector is ideal for gaming. Zero input lag, instant response rate, 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI (no overscan) with an RGB source (like a PC or high-end Blu Ray player).

Bright, vibrant colors; bright enough to replace a TV. I barely even have to draw the blinds to use this during the day, even at picture sizes up to 140" and the lamp mode set to Economic. Yellows and cyans look especially good. Eat your heart out, Quattron.

Post calibration contrast is amazing, better than any movie theater.

1080p 3D gaming is mind-blowing. Even though you have to play in Side by Side or Top-Bottom mode at that resolution to get 60Hz (full 1080p 3D is limited to 24Hz, which is fine for movies), picture is still crystal clear and razor sharp. This is a limitation of HDMI, and not the projector itself.

3D Crosstalk is almost non-existent. Make the screen large, crank the FOV to 110-120 in FPSes, and you'll feel like you're living inside the game.

Very little perceivable brightness loss in 3D.

Short throw gives you approx. 1" of screen size for every 1" the projector is away from the wall at full zoom.

Rainbows all but completely disappear in 3D. In 2D they are noticeable with bright objects against a dark background, though. Even though I'm very sensitive to rainbows they're not visible enough to annoy me. Over time you start to notice them less and less as you get used to the projector. After 1000 hours I rarely see them anymore.

Supports downsampling from 2560x1440, great for gamers with high-end hardware who want the best possible picture.

Cons:
Out of the box picture is ok, but needs some fine tuning. See below for the color settings I've come up with (calibrated using test patterns).

Glitchy firmware. Hopefully an update will fix some minor issues I've been having.

Colors are a bit washed out in 3D, though it's nothing that can't be fixed with a color profile in your graphics card. See below for another fix.

Color settings can't be adjusted in 3D. The only way to get around this this is to set a profile in your graphics card or use an external video processor. (After more experimenting, turns out I was wrong about color settings made in 2D carrying over to 3D. Apologies for the misinformation.)

Contrast isn't as good in 3D, but blacks still go well below the video reference level.

Throw angle is a bit awkward. Hard to ceiling mount with a high ceiling, and you can't table mount it unless you slouch in your seat or sit behind it. If you have a high ceiling or simply don't want to buy a mount, the best place to stick it would be on top of a bookshelf. Just make sure you leave plenty of room around it to breathe!

Here are my post-calibration color settings:
Color Mode: User 1 or 2
Reference Mode: Dynamic PC or ViewMatch
Brightness: 52
Contrast: -5
BrilliantColor: Off (turn it on as a last resort if you ever need some extra brightness, but keep in mind that it reduces contrast, throws color accuracy & gamma all out of whack.)
Noise Reduction: 0
Gamma: Depends on the source. 3 is more accurate in some cases, and in others it's 4. Lagom.nl has some good Gamma test patterns to determine which setting is right.
HDMI Range: Depends. For PCs, Enhanced gives you the full color range. However, some sources like game consoles and satellite receivers might have washed out blacks. In that case, use the Normal setting.

Red Hue: -10

Mag Gain: 104

Yel Hue: -5
Yel Sat: 110
Yel Gain: 100

Keep in mind that colors can vary from projector to projector, even with the same model, so it's a good idea to use these settings as a baseline for your own calibration.
293 helpful votes
294 helpful votes
2929 comments|Report abuse
on December 14, 2015
Amazing projector. I purchased this almost 2 years ago. It has been used on a daily basis as the primary display of my home theater. I have my gaming pc, 360, and cable hooked up to it. This has been an overwhelmingly positive purchase. The elite screen that I use with it also makes a huge difference. As of today the original bulb is going on 6500 hours. Nothing beats playing fps games in life-size... yet.
review image
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on March 1, 2016
This projector is just OK. It is good for a very dark room, basically pitch black or watching at night, but if there is any ambient light at all, it's very noticeable. Even a single 60w equivalent bulb 20 feet away completely ruins the picture. Only buy this if you will be able to use it in a pitch black room all the time.
5 helpful votes
on October 4, 2014
This projector is absolutely amazing. Replaced a viewsonic projector that was close to 10 years old. I use this as my TV 10 and a 1/2 foot screen. You can see the picture clearly in daylight and I run eco mode so it's 30% dimmer but it's hardly noticeable. This projector is mounted on a 9 foot ceiling and at that hight is incredibly quiet, can't hear it run over the sound of what ever is on. I have a screen painted in the wall with a flat paint matching the light paint color of my wall. The color and picture quality every bit as good in not better than the newest LCD HD TV's. All I can say ITS AMAZING!!!! At this price even if I had to buy a new bulb every year (and we'll see how that goes) I'll never buy another TV again. Incredible value for the price. Make sure you register your product through veiwsconic online when you get it so you get the one year free replacement and bulb warranty along with the three year repair warranty converge. If you but it, you won't regret it.
5 helpful votes
on February 12, 2016
I use this projector for my home theater and let me tell you the quality is amazing! I have had many people shocked that a projector can be seen so clearly with all the lights on with so much detail. I did take about 20 minutes adjusting the picture quality to fit my needs and it was very easy. i would strongly recommend this projector to anyone looking at a home theater. I have had friends and family come over and they were so impressed they ordered one. I have had to replace the bulb once in this projector at about 2800 hours and the projector is still working amazing. I have used this on a wall and was shocked how good it looked. i decided to order a 100" screen and it looked like a giant tv on the wall. I have upgraded to a 120" screen that i use to play movies, play games on xbox one and i also hook up my computer. This projector has great 3d playback as well but most of the time i don't want to wear the glasses so i use it in 2d. This projector is very very good quality and has many good features to be able to get the size of screen you need with a very crisp picture. When i upgraded to the 120" screen from the 100" i thought i would need to move the projector mount but i was easily able to use the adjustable lens zoom to make the picture bigger and then make it just as crisp as it was before! i am very very impressed with this projector and recommend it to all my family and friends who do a home theater. Do not let the cheap price discourage you from buying this as i have set up 3 of these and had the same amazing experience every single time. For my hdmi cables i always pair these with media bridge cables 15-25 feet and it is a steal of a deal!
1 helpful vote
on March 8, 2014
Good projector. Brightness and clarity are awesome. but light leaks in couple of places and after a while this leak is annoying. I should have paid attention to other reviews about these light leaks
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on November 6, 2013
This is simply the best 3D/1080p/DLP projector out there, and perfect for those who want to get their first projector for home theater. You can get up to a 300" screen for a small fraction of the cost of LED or Plasma TVs.

Pros:
- Crisp 1080p picture at any size (mine is 105" and the picture is razor sharp, you have to be 5" away from the screen to see pixels)
- Mind-blowing 3D! (90-95% the same as a theater)
- Long Bulb Life (up to 6000 hours in ECO mode)
- Plenty Bright even in ECO mode
- SUPERB black levels, much better than I expected and certainly acceptable by anyone's standards
- Flexible color settings
- Vivid Picture once it's calibrated
- Rainbows absolutely disappear in 3D
- PRICE! This blows away 5 year old $10k projectors, it's really that good of a bargain!
- Warranty, 3 years and you are covered
- Lightweight and easy to mount
- No dust problems due to filter-less design so far

Cons:
- Limited short-throw lens zoom makes placement less flexible
- Rainbows in some scenes (white text on black background), I am sensitive but I have adjusted and almost never notice them now
- A little noisier than I wanted, but not bad, only quiet scenes you can notice it if you pay attention
- Needs firmware update, my calibration settings keep getting erased after 2 weeks or so for some reason

I used Psythik's settings with great results, but since my settings seem to easily disappear, these are the quick settings I use:
- Dynamic Movie Mode
- Brightness at 50-52
- Brilliant Color ON
- Eco Mode (depends on your ambient light, but in my basement Eco mode is plenty bright)

It makes a good color-popping image with white whites and black blacks. This way, the colors are a little saturated and warm like most demo-modes on TVs are used at big-box stores to wow potential buyers. I like the slightly over-saturated look for games and whatnot, but it's not technically 100% color accurate. It's like a Samsung Galaxy SIII or IV AMOLED screen this way. It works great for my setup, but since every machine is different, you have to calibrate it to your own tastes.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on January 18, 2014
This Viewsonic projector offers a crisp, bright picture. We are very happy with it in our great room. We have it placed on a shelf 16 feet from the wall we project onto, and the picture is huge (approx. 12 ft. wide, 170" diagonal!) at its smallest possible size. It's what we wanted, but make sure you have the room for it. It is NOT very adjustable. You can estimate the screen size using the calculator on ProjectorCentral.com.

The 3000 lumens give us a great picture even with some ambient light, and the 3D really pops!

The housing on this unit feels very cheaply made, so this is not a projector that I would purchase to take from place to place very often. However, it has an amazingly good warranty for a product like this, so I also wouldn't shy away from it. Check the Viewsonic website for special offers as well. We discovered that we can get two free pairs of 3D glasses because we purchased within their special offer window. (They are also offering a screen system, but we don't need that.)

Overall, we'd say this is a great deal for anyone who wants to turn their living room into a movie theater.
3 helpful votes
on February 9, 2016
If you are on the fence if this is a top quality projector for home theaters because of the price, just believe me when I say that you are getting a steal. I have watched several hours of movies, tv, and video games on this and am very pleased. Using the default settings for brightness picture etc.. and feel no need to change anything. Thanks to the lumens this projector is very bright and can easily be viewed in day light. I have mine in my basement but have several lights on and can view the image virtually flawlessly. Would highly recommend this product to anyone that is looking for a theater experience or even those who are TV shopping. The quality is as good if not better than my 1080p 47" LG tv.
1 helpful vote