Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 30, 2011
I had been using an old 22" Proview monitor that I bought 6 years ago, the color and text quality (and eye comfort) on that monitor was always somehow lacking. I work in IT for a large outfit and have to remote in an work from home at times so a good monitor is not a whim it' s a requirement. I order this and hook it up to DVI - WOW. EGADS! Night and day. I run this Viewsonic at full max resolution 1920 X 1080 32 bit, 60hz on a nVidia 430GTX video card. VERY VERY pleased. It's a whole new world from what I was using. I briefly tried the conventional, "old skool" VGA (d-sub) connector. Meh. It was "OK" but nothing to write home about. Changing to the DVI connector brought it up a couple notches in quality. Now I can have Microsoft Word 2010 display two pages at 100% side by side with excellent text clarity (Arial 10 point, 100% magnification) AND still have the 2" wide MS Word 2010 navigation sidebar showing! Maybe this is mundane for your folks but for me, it's turned working on my computer into a pleasure instead of a chore. I have no complaints about viewing angle. I came very close to buying an HP 25" monitor with HDMI input but chose this after the very good reviews. I'm glad I did: the value of this monitor can't be beat. I am seriously considering buying a 2nd one for my downstairs PC.

RANT: I never understand the fools who - on most any LCD desktop monitor review - whine about the internal speakers sounding tinny and docking rating stars because of that. Well DUH!! If you knew anything about audio, physics or engineering: You have to have sufficient enclosure space to move air to generate decent sound. You have to bring a product in at a price point. What were you thinking or expecting? Audio-wise, the speakers built into most desktop computer LCD panels are a best-effort joke. They are just enough to listen to the news. Get over it with the sound quality complaints - OR - obtain quality REAL separate speakers.

UPDATE: I liked it so much I just ordered a 2nd one.
on July 21, 2011
I upgraded from a 19" 1440x900 resolution monitor and I'm so happy I did! This monitor is really nice sized. Using Windows 7, I was able to actually look in my music folder and saw 290 items on the screen at once. It was really easy to set up and not only that, but the colors are the best I've ever seen on a monitor! You should definitely consider buying a DVI cable to hook it up with though, instead of the default VGA cable it comes with. You'll get WAY better picture quality. I love this thing so much that I'm buying the extra cables to hook my PS3 to this thing! Great value too considering the price of other monitors of this standard.

PS: I have not tested the built-in audio because I already have a nice set of speakers as it is but the monitor is excellent.
on July 24, 2013
You can read all the bad reviews on an item and it will be disheartening for ANY product. But it goes the same very every product, you are going to have someone not satisfied with the product they paid money for because they did not read the reviews that told them if it was the product they were truly looking for.

Pros -
It is a good size screen for any casual gamer and web surfer.
It has really good color and i have not had any pixels die through over use.
It has a sturdy stand.
The power button in the center helps me in the dark.

Cons -
Its not a better monitor? (Keep reading before you judge that comment)

When you are shopping around on amazon or anywhere else you are looking for the best bang for your buck. Let me just set you straight now, this is a great monitor for the price and i would recommend it 100%, ONLY if you can't afford to put more money in. Computer monitors are one of those things that the more money you put in the better product you are gonna get. You will not find a $150 monitor with the same size, quality and perks as a monitor that costs $500+ and that is just the sad truth of it. I could not afford a big huge monitor with all the fancy gadgets and the fancy perks but i could afford a decent monitor for a decent price.

///////READ FIRST\\\\\\\\: I guess they stopped making this monitor so you can only get it used. Getting this monitor used is still ok and i still recommend this monitor because i have had mine for a long time now and it still works perfect. But if you decide against this monitor then take these words with you, dont let the bad reviews get to you. Find the reviews made by people who update their reviews and respond to the commenters. Their is a term that a lot of tech savy people use and that is, Lemon, we use this word because when you buy a faulty product its called a Lemon. We call it this because lemons are sour, people get faulty products, its happens and there is nothing we can do about this. Don't read the product reviews of people that have nothing nice to say about the product. Happy Shopping and i wish you the best of luck on your purchases.
on August 25, 2013
I bought this to replace an old no-name 19" LCD, and the difference in picture quality was very noticeable. The colors are very deep but not over saturated, the blacks look like blacks, and the screen brightness is excellent. The built-in speakers work okay, but I do not expect Hi-Fi theater sound from built-in speakers to begin with. Besides, sound isn't the job of this monitor - it's purpose is to give you a nice display to look at, and it succeeds in this department 100%.
on August 27, 2011
I received the packages quickly, these monitors are amazing. By far the best I've ever had. I actually bought a $250 clearance monitor at Staples, an Acer H243H bmid 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Display (Black) for $180 and these $160 monitors are Even Better than that Acer!

I bought 3 of these monitors for eye infinity and they look great, love the color, the clarity, i'm blown away.

I was really really hesitant in spending nearly $500 on these monitors, I was scared about the bleeding through that other reviewers said, or them having any sort of issues, but I've been using them for a few days now and wow, they are great. If you're looking for a great monitor or set of monitors, I really don't see how you can beat these at this price. Would definitely not hesitant to buy them again.

Btw to the people who tried to use the speakers, I'm not even bothering to try them, I think you should just buy the $11 speakers they offer on Amazon. I have my own and Logitech S120 2.0 Multimedia Speakers I love them. Monitors are for pictures, not sounds, buy speakers for sound.

I will update if there are any problems.
on December 17, 2012
I purchased this monitor mainly because I wanted ample screen-size (though these days, people have been going even bigger, I hear) and wanted to reduce the clutter on my computer desk. Previously, I had a full 5.1 sound system with multiple speaker cubes and a sub-woofer underneath my desk. As I've greatly reduced the amount of computer games I've played (almost nil), I figured it was time to simplify.

On both accounts, this product met my main objectives: 1) larger screen (upgraded from 20"), and 2) no need for separate speakers. However, I'd caution on the second objective, given that I don't really "game" much anymore -- the speakers are quite tinny and not as loud or rich as I had hoped. In comparison, I bought my wife an iMac (horror of horrors for PC lovers!-- but seriously, I'm more of an avid PC user myself..), and its speakers are very rich and very usable for music, etc. These ViewSonic speakers seem weak in comparison in my opinion.

All in all, this monitor and its speakers work for me for general computing use. But I wouldn't recommend it for a gamer by any means. These are great though, if you simply want to simplify your workspace.
on April 10, 2011
Purchased one of these VA2431WM 24-inch monitors for a PC build (see my review on the AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1090T "Best Build for the Money (under $990)"). I liked it so much that I ordered another, to up my PC build to a dual monitor system. I paid $169.99 for it both times and now it's up to $179, but even at that price it is well worth the money as long as you are not buying it for the sound. The dull surface eliminates any glare from lights in or around your system. The colors are crisp, clean and vibrant. The default settings are too hot but a few simple menu adjustments are all that's required. For some reason my monitors factory setting for brightness was 100%. I'm not sure if that's always true but it was for my first one, I just ordered my second one today. I admit the sound on this monitor is just so-so but if you don't care about that, it's a 5-star purchase.
on May 7, 2011
I recently upgraded monitors, and I was in need of a large primary monitor, and a smaller secondary monitor. This had a great review and was a great price, so I chose this to be my back-up monitor. (The primary monitor I bought, which I give my highest praise as well is: ASUS VE276Q 27-Inch Wide (16:9) 2ms Response Time Display Port LCD Monitor - Black). But this monitor was VERY easy to hook up and get running. I had more trouble moving the space on my desk than getting this to work, which was plug and play. For the cost, the picture was bright and clear, and it was easy to set to my specific liking. I liked it so much that my dad asked me to get him one, and he loves his too. This is that perfect combination of cost and value. I checked the consumer reviews before I made my final decision (You should ALWAYS check the customer reviews. Like this one! LOL), and that was enough to convince me to give it a chance. And I've not regretted it at all since then. If you're looking for a monitor that is as good as the top brands, but much cheaper, then this is a GREAT product, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks for your time folks.
Sincerely, R.A. McDowell
VINE VOICEon October 23, 2011
This is a beautiful monitor. I replaced a 22 inch Sony and this 24 inch seems huge. To think I was considering the 27 inch - wow! It sets up seamlessly (I took their advice and installed the drivers on the accompanying CD) and the picture is gorgeous. And the good news is that ViewSonic has 24/7 support that is easy to access and they helped me with a few questions I had about settings. (Having easy support at your fingertips is a great feature. When I called Sony support about my old monitor they eventually told me that they really don't support monitors anymore so I was up the creek.

I didn't actually play with any of the color resolution settings - the defaults seemed fine. My only question was about the size of the screen resolution itself. It wants you to use the max 1920 X 1080 resolution to get the full widescreen experience and it works beautifully at that setting. However, when I log onto my corporate VPN this resolution made the print quite small and I wanted to occassionally reduce the resolution so I could comfortably work on the VPN. However, when I tried to change the resolution to lower numbers, it didn't allow the change. Support showed me that I could use the menu system (buttons on the front of the monitor) to turn off the flag that blocked my making the change and that resolved the problem. They also pointed out that on the CD that comes with the monitor there is a user's guide that would explain all this. But I can always call them...

I highly recommend this monitor and I thank all of the other reviewers for their help. They helped me clarify what I wanted. Also, I compared Amazon's monitors with Best Buy - close to the penney in price. However, the local Best Buy didn't carry any ViewSonic monitors - I would have to order on line and they would ship to the store and then I would have to pick it up. Amazon made it so easy - and no shipping charges and it arrived in just a couple of days.

PS: I am on a Dell CPU using Windows 7 but I feel certain it would work just as well on the Mac we have in the house because we switch monitors around.
on November 14, 2013
I have 3 of these monitors I use them for online sim racing. They are nice to have wile surfing the net/watch tv/ day trading.

Only 1 stuck pixel between the 3 monitors and its at the very edge of the screen so it is out of the way.

No complaints thus far and the oldest one is at least a year old.