Top critical review
Good & bad. Unfortunately, bad won this time.
on March 29, 2013
THE GOOD: This is a truly beautiful monitor. The crisp, clear HD picture is a magnificient upgrade from lower resolutions. The kickstand feature makes the monitor look good on the desk. Viewsonic customer service is wonderful, even at 10 pm. The man said someone was there to help 24 hours! Done with the good.
1. May not be easy to set up properly. I had to call Viewsonic and was walked through several issues.
A. He helped me download an updated VIDEO driver for my laptop.
B. He guided me in changing settings on my laptop, the Viewsonic on screen menu, and the sound software.
2. The tiny buttons on the right edge of the monitor are frustrating to use, to say the least. The menu only stays on for a few SECONDS and as you are reading your choices, blinks off before you can proceed. Push the button again and hope you can get to your choice. (5 times and I was finally successful).
3. The "buttons" are very tiny rectangular 1/8th inch wide slivers and they are very close together. I had to keep looking to be sure I was presing the correct one. People with larger hands may have a problem with these. (The engineers can't put larger buttons on the front, bottom of the monitor?)
4. The sound, to put it politely, was terrible. The Viewsonic rep had me adjust things for almost a half hour and we still couldn't get anything better than a dull, muted, tinny sound. By the way, I was playing a video with VLC, a great free media player. The sound was great on my laptop, without the new monitor.
5. A few minutes into the video, the monitor went blank and shut off, then the laptop went down. I turned the laptop on again and was greeted with a message that I needed to run a complete "trouble shooting" scan. I did, and then was told it couldn't be fixed and recommended I restore my computer to an earlier time. I did, and reset the monitor. Again, after a few minutes, total shutdown. The rep did not know where or why the conflict was occuring, but agreed there was something wrong with this particular monitor, and suggested I return it.
So many people have connected this monitor successfully and are enjoying it. I understand there are occassional "bad apples" expecially with electronics. Don't let that stop you from getting this. It really is nice.