Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Customer reviews

Viking Clothing
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 10, 2015
This is a great resourse for those who are looking to either read about or reproduce Viking clothing, Thor Ewing is one of the individuals who is consulted with by the curators of the Viking ship and Viking burial museums and, as such, is highly respected on his field.
on February 15, 2015
Really great read. From a historical re-enactor's point of view, its nice to have something so easy to refer to when you are trying to create a Norse costume that is more accurate.
on April 9, 2015
I've heard nothing but great things concerning this book & author. I found it to be extremely helpful with my research concerning historical clothing reproductions.
on October 11, 2009
This book has so much information .. it's a subject area that interests me, and I love anything that I can pore over several times and still find something new. My only complaint is that there aren't enough illustrations to explain what the author is trying to say. When it comes to clothing design/construction, I like illustrations (ok..pictures and drawings). I don't mean that I am looking for illustrations to help recreate the clothing, but just to visualize some of the archeological finds or interpretations of these finds. It's possible that this is deliberate on the author's part, so as not to influence any one particular approach or interpretation to the evidence that he so competently presents. Anyway, I liked all of the interesting detail and honest opinions on what we do know and what we don't know!
on April 25, 2014
My daughter wanted a book on construction of Viking clothing to make clothes for a reenactment organization. This one was recommended. She was pleased with it.
on September 17, 2006
Thor Ewing's book is well written and it does a good job of laying out the current state of Norse costume research. However, this is not a book for the amateur re-enactor who wants to make a "Viking costume." It will not give you step-by-step instructions on how to make a "Viking costume."

In many ways, the book raises more questions than it answers and I forsee it sparking some excellent and spirited discussions among those of us who have been researching Norse costume for many years. It's a fine book which has given me a great deal to think about and I am truly glad I purchased it. But, if you are new or fairly new to the Society for Creative Anachronism or other Dark Ages re-enactment groups, I would pass on this book until you have done more research or you could end up very confused.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 29, 2012
The chapters on mens, womens and childrens clothing, finds and conditions far excelled what I have found before. I reccomend this highly to anyone working or studying Viking era history. It is Not a strictly pattern book but a look into practicle history.
on January 9, 2016
Absolutely fascinating.
on July 26, 2011
I've not yet had the chance to make use of the pattern information in this book, but have read it through, and found it very interesting. My next sewing project will most likely will be the Viborg shirt shown on page 82. I have seen several (modern) examples of this garment made, and it is very nice looking on. I know that I will be refering to this book often.
on June 8, 2010
I'm glad I bought this book. The information is great and it's well presented. Great for the reenactor.