Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 228 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 278 reviews
on August 6, 2014
This is my favorite wine opener and with a cool factor. I was lucky enough to get in early and bought 4 at $5 each. Price has gone up since.
First, let me say that I tried many different types of openers, and my favorites are the Vinara, hinged cork screw, an ah-so, in that order. I will rate all of them from last to first.

3rd place: Ah- so is great and my go to for the higher end wines. Last thing I need is broken cork on old expensive wines. The thinner the tines the better. You can use it to save broken corks in the bottle most if the time. You generally get a clean cork for keepsake too. Although this has a great cool factor, problem is it takes longer to uncork a bottle, especially for a novice user. Also, care needs to be taken as there is a lot of pressure on the neck of the bottle which can shatter in your hands. It can be difficult if you do not know what you are doing.

2nd Place: Tried and true corkscrew is the no nonsense opener. Inexpensive, quick, easy and reliable. Unfortunately no cool factor. Problem on these are the screw, which can be difficult to center and easily bent, which mean it becomes useless. At the price, throw it away and get a new one. It can also tear up a cork which can be a problem if you wish to keep it.

1st place: Vinara is easy, quick, effective. It feels well built and not cheap feeling despite the plastic. Insertion is easy, couple of pumps and pop, uncorked bottle. Cork is easily removed and results in a clean cork, with only a pin hole, every time (for those that like to keep the corks). Oh, and a super cool factor. My rating is 4.5 stars, so why not 5 stars? There are some corks that it does not work well on, but it is not a certain type of cork. I think it is how the bottle is pressurized. I am guessing that any air leak or air pockets left in the bottle can require more pumps, but it will uncork eventually. I never had one that did not come out. Some synthetic cork take 3 pumps some take 8. Most natural corks work fine. A couple of times some wine leaked out of the sides, but this is rare. Another negative for purists is it sounds like opening Champagne every time.

However with all that said this is my go to wine opener by far. The only time I use the hinged cork screw is to cut the foil.
on September 8, 2015
While it lasted, this was a novel approach to opening wine with some nice benefits. I originally purchased this item because I had inherited about 50 bottles of wine, and 90% of the bottles had gone bad. I needed to open a lot of bottles (some with disintegrated corks) to see what was drinkable and what needed to be spilled.

First, if the cork does not have a good seal with the bottle any longer, this opener will not work. The air will squeeze out of the sides and the cork won't budge at all. In that instance, you need to get out a traditional corkscrew regardless, and spill out your ruined wine.

If the cork seal is good, this opener works wonders. 3 - 6 pumps and the cork spits out in one nearly pristine piece.

Unfortunately, the build quality simply isn't great. I probably opened about 20 bottles with this opener and then the internal seal broke. I opened it up and reset the seal and it lasted for another 2 bottles before breaking again. The reality is with a little glue I probably could have fixed it up again, but it simply wasn't worth the trouble.

It's relatively inexpensive, so if you're interested in giving a shot, it's not going to be a major loss, but don't expect it to work with every bottle or for it to last for many years to come.
on September 17, 2017
Half of my friends/relatives I gave it to love it, the other half LOVED it but it broke. Buyer beware. They mean well but sometimes the needle gets loose and falls back into the device making it worthless. Pity because they're fun when they work. Mine is working for now (knock on wood).
on March 6, 2017
The air pin is too short, some wines bottles has longer corks which are difficult to pump the air through, beware if you pump too much by force, the wine will splash all over your clothes when the cork pulps out. Some improvement required.
on October 16, 2014
I didn't read the the note from the manufacturer (until afterwards!) that this device is not meant for plastic corks, and I can see why: I tried this on a half dozen plastic corks, and the remover had no effect. I assume that plastic corks form much better seals than cork corks, hence the device's inability to remove them via internal pressure. Unfortunately, my favorite wines are bottled with plastic corks so I'll look for a traditional wine opener with a pig tail.
on June 15, 2017
I've used this type of opener before and when they work, they work well. This one doesn't work. I waited too long to try it and can't return it.
on August 5, 2017
Lasted just barely four months. Broke without warning and without misuse. Too bad - it was pretty cool and saved some corks.
on November 21, 2016
First use, a ring from the base of the opener fell out. I then pushed it back in place and it fell out every time I used it. Eventually I threw it away.
on February 27, 2017
Nope nope. I have yet to get this thing to pop a cork. Stopped trying and went back to the old reliable cork screw.
VINE VOICEon October 13, 2015
I open more bottles of wine than I would care to admit. Corks can be a problem. The best bottle of wine can have a cork that just won't cooperate and you end up with cork in your wine when the cork splits as you're trying to pull it. Better corkscrews do work better. I've had the rabbit type, but I find the best tool is the one you have with you and they're so big they don't fit in the drawer I'd like to keep them in, so they don't get used. I have other corkscrews that work well, but no matter how great the corkscrew, you still have that tricky cork every once in a while. And, let's face it, it takes a bit of effort to get the corkscrew to actually screw straight down into the cork.

I like this cork remover because it's compact. It's easy to use. And it eliminates any problems associated with an uncooperative cork. Simply push the needle down through the cork. The only problem I could foresee is the needle somehow got bent. Once it's through the cork, just pump a few times and the cork pops out like a champagne cork. Then, you push the cork off of the needle. It couldn't be simpler.

I considered these for quite a while and hesitated because the prices were higher. I got this on Amazon Prime for a price I just couldn't pass up. I'm glad I finally got one.