Customer Reviews: Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on February 13, 2010
This is the worst game book I've ever read. The authors manage to turn a vivid, fun topic into a boring and unbelievably pretentious paper wanna-be. They use "serious" words and "difficult" phrases and litter the pages with totally useless footnotes and in-text references in an effort to lend some legitimacy and seriousness that is, frankly, not needed.

Two of my favorite examples:
"The game can be played with the mouse(1)"
"(1)although it can also be played with the cursor keys"

and, the most unbelievable thing I've read in a video computer book (talking of Tetris):

"Perhaps we could also talk about Freud's 'anal stage', with the disappearing lines of tetrominoes analogous to our solid waste being flushed away in the toilet. Given this model, we might describe Tetris-fans as 'anal-retentive', compulsively arranging thoise pieces in some futile quest to achieve the gratification they missed during toilet training".

I rest my case.

The content is not that good either, with games seemingly randomly chosen and not much new info to learn.

Ugh. Avoid.
99 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2010
How exactly is this an "Insider Look at the history..."? The authors are fanboys, not game developers or industry veterans. I learned nothing new from this book, except that it's a bad idea to impulse purchase on Amazon.

If you are 14 years old and have a school essay due, I would suggest you could cut-and-paste one of these chapters verbatim and hand it in as your own work. You might get a generoous C-.