Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 4, 2010
I am in no way a wine snob. But, the GF loves to consume wine. I may have a glass a week, she's closer to one a night. So, the idea of decanting a whole bottle to allow it to breathe before serving makes sense, but you kinda have to drink the whole bottle that night. When you're entertaining, no problem. But, if you just want to pour a glass for yourself, it's really hard to commit to decanting a whole bottle.

So, I bought the kit (with the electronic wine opener, which is great fun). Now, it is a two handed operation. You have to hold the aerator in one hand, bottle in the other, glass on the table. If you don't pour fast enough, the air doesn't get sucked in through the side holes. If you pour too fast, you run the risk of overflowing. But, to be honest, it's pretty simple and you get the hang of how fast to pour and you can hear the sucking sound (which sounds odd, but it's a clear sign of air being infused with the wine). So, that's as tricky as it gets. Oh, and with whatever hand you're holding the aerator make sure you fingers don't cover the holes on the side, where the air gets sucked in. That's it...those are all the tips you need.

The red wine aerator has a screen for particles. The white wine one doesn't. The kit comes with a cute travel bag, etc. and the stands are easy/convenient.

But, now the subjective part. Does it affect taste? Of course it does. I did a lot of blind comparisons with friends and with the GF. Which is also a good excuse to have people over to drink. And I've served aerated and non-aerated, the same bottle, and people think it's two different wines, every time. Most prefer the aerated version of the same wine. It can make a $7 bottle wine that much smoother. Does it make it a $200 bottle of wine? Heck if I know, I don't buy $200 bottles of wine. The most expensive I get is $30, tops.

Like any good wino, I have my favorite types of wine at all price points. So, it makes the wines I like, taste better, for sure. It can make a good wine a little bit better. Similar to how a great wine benefits from being decanted. So, it is a palpable difference, usually for the better. And, without the commitment of an entire bottle. I can aerate one glass at a time and feel no pressure to finish the bottle that night.

In short, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a simple thing and it does "force" a wine to breathe for immediate, glass by glass, consumption.
40 people found this helpful
on November 11, 2009
I bought the pair of these (for red and white wines) because Amazon's price for a bundle was very good. So, when they arrived, I grabbed a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine and did some taste comparisons with the wife. We tasted a wine before and after aerating. I have to say, if nothing else, these things are very entertaining. When you pour wine into the top and it comes out the bottom into your wine glass, the wine bubbles loudly and it makes you laugh - very entertaining for a party. The difference is very noticeable. Wine run through the aerator is smoother and has more flavor. Nobody has ever guessed wrong about whether a wine was aerated or not. The quality of wine affects how the aerator works. A really bad wine may become drinkable, but don't expect it to become even good. On the other hand, a mediocre wine can become quite drinkable. So, your mileage will vary, but you should taste the difference clearly. I liked them so much, I bought another package and sent it to my duaghter who is also a wine lover. Great product.
87 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 4, 2016
I knew that there wasn't any difference between the white and red aerators, but I bought them because I drink reds and my partner drinks whites. I had a cheaper aerator, one that you stick on the bottle and i honestly can't tell the difference. This one though definitely looks more stylish, and looks good on my wine counter.
I didn't get the travel pouch that was supposed to come with it, but no biggie. I did notice that there were lines coming from the little holes and they look like cracks. Since both holes have them, and they are almost symmetrical, they don't look like manufacturing defects.
on May 9, 2017
Purchased back in May 2015, this set of wine aerators come in handy when I don't want to bring out my carafe. These is a noticeable difference between wine that has, and has not been through the aerator. The aroma in the air, is quite pleasing too. You should have this item, to enjoy your fine wine collection. Money well spent indeed. Have a great day.
on March 24, 2013
I needed a birthday gift for a male family member (who actually DOES have everything he needs and wants) and was at a total loss as to what to get him. I saw this Vinturi Set of 2 Essential Wine Aerators for Red and White Wine and decided that was a gift I'm sure he didn't have! He and his family love both white and red wine, and so this made a lovely gift.

When we are invited over to his home, it's nice to see the aerators on the table next to a wine bottle. I think it says to ones guest...."you are special to me, and I want you to have an enjoyable experience at dinnertime". Both my husband and myself aren't major wine drinkers, but we did notice a difference in the taste after using the aerators.

I'll probably order from Amazon a set for myself~Enjoy!
on August 1, 2012
I don't always have the time to let wine breathe before drinking, especially the 'one drink a day' bottle. I would break out the decanter with a good wine when company's around, but it's just too much for the daily stuff.

Enter the Vinturi, which is a great bundle price on Amazon. They help you realize the potential of medium quality wines and up with minimal fuss and time, but do not magically make a bad wine good. There is a discernible difference between aerating the wine and not. I have rarely used the additional filter cap.

And yes, the bubbling hissy sound is a hoot. For the first five minutes.

I cannot actually detect any difference in functionality between the 'white' and 'red' wine versions except the color, but the color does help prevent me from mixing the two over multiple bottles.

I do take the trouble to run the aeraters under clean water after every use, and have them dry out. Leaving them wet in the little rubber holders is just an invitation to bacteria and mold, as water will be trapped between the Vinturi and the rubber holder.

I opened the white wine package much later than the red, so only realized then that there was no carry-out bag packaged with the red. Might have been an oversight on the manufacter's part, but it was much too late to raise a fuss.

Likes: Works as advertised.
on September 20, 2012
I purchased the set after much debate on whether I needed to get one for red and one for white. I couldn't tell any difference on either of them. I used the "red" one on white wines and the "white" one on reds. I am pretty sure they both do the same exact thing. The only thing that sets them apart is that the red one comes with a filter, and the white one comes with a carrying bag. I personally think that the filter is a better thing to have, as I have never taken my Vinturi anywhere, and a ziplock baggy would perform the same.

Overall, the Vinturi is great. I can really taste the difference and would highly recommend it, but save your money on the set and just purchase the one made for red wine that comes with the filter.
on April 10, 2013
My Dad enjoys wine on a level like few others that I know. His love of wine has been passed onto me, and with that he has also passed on his use of aerators. The Vinturi brand is the first that I became familiar with and this is a great set to have! One pass through these and the wine takes on a different form. It's quite similar to allowing a wine to breathe by swirling it in a glass, but these expedite the process. The way they open up a glass or bottle of wine is well worth it. With each sip or smell, you will experience a return on your investment.

In case you're wondering about the difference between the two, functionally, Vinturi's site indicates that the white wine aerator allows more air in than the red wine aerator. Also, the red wine aerator comes with a screen that removes sediment and the white wine aerator comes with a travel pouch.
on December 16, 2009
Especially if you're a red wine. What the Vinturi aerator does is create the effect of aging wine, or letting the bottle stand open to oxygenate it, but it does this in an instant instead of an hour or two of standing open.

To use, you just hold the aerator over the glass and pour. It drains through very quickly, and seems to soften the finish on a red wine. This is helpful when you don't have time to let a bottle stand open for a couple of hours before pouring. I used it at a wine tasting party recently where I was serving about a dozen guests, and it worked really slick.

Now, you might want to check some review sites to see how much difference it makes in the taste of the wine. We didn't do a "with and without Vinturi" taste test. One wine expert at my party said it helps most with the younger wines.
on January 11, 2010
Here is the deal. I bought this thing for Christmas as a joint present for me and my girl. She loved it. She was completely impressed with how cool and sleek it was and I definitely scored some points. Also, it really opens up your wine. I made it a point to pour some wine from a freshly opened bottle into two separate glasses, with and without the Vinturi. There was a discernible difference. If you are drinking Boons or Sutters Home or whatever, don't bother with this. If you are picking up wines that you want to really enjoy. Give this a try. Worst case scenario, your wine tastes the same to you and you have a cool centerpiece to talk about at parties.

The pieces feel sturdy and well made. They are stylish. Overall good design.