Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on April 24, 2015
This was a great adventure told from the POV of a bully. I loved Violet's voice. She had a great way of seeing the world and some of the stuff she did was very ill-conceived on her part but the reader has a great time watching her let her jealousy get the best of her. This book will definitely resonate with middle grade readers as the topic of friendship and acceptance is especially grappled with at that time of life. Who has not felt apprehension when an old friend is taken over by a new one? The road to redemption for Violet might have been a little facile and not foreshadowed enough (for this reader) to not seem pulled out of practically nowhere. But, whatever. It was a good story with a great voice and I will definitely be recommending it to the kids in my life as well as other writers.
on May 14, 2013
Violet is comfortable in her small town with her set of friends. Then the new girl, Melissa, walks into the picture. Melissa is from Detroit and represents coolness and wealth. Violet feels the need to compete with and annoy Melissa. In the process, she may be hurting her friends. Violet has a lot of growing to do, realizing what's important and that changes are bound to happen with herself and the people in her life. I enjoyed Violet, Lottie, Eddie, and the other characters. This is a fast MG read that's light, but with meaningful messages.
on July 4, 2015
What a distinctive voice for Violet. I loved every bit of her dialogue. And Violet faces a very real problem - a new girl in the mix and the threat of losing your best friend to her. I had this happen to me twice--same girl was the friend-thief--when I was a kid. I was glad to see it written in a story for this age group and that the resolution came about because of something the third wheel (aka Violet) did.
on May 15, 2014
i am 11 and i absolutely loved this book. It is about any other girl entering junior high< only she doesnt want to wear makup and talk about how cute boys are. As Violet goes through hard times when her friends house is struck by lightning and she meets stuckup city girl Melissa who is stealing her best friend to the weird romance/friendship with Eddie she learns and changes. This book and a twisting ending that kept me till the end. So love and recommend for 10 and up!
on July 21, 2013
Even though this was recommended for Grades 4 through 7, I am 65 and enjoyed it thoroughly--it is actually a timeless story about maturing. At any age, there are lessons to learn to move to our next level of evolution, and the young girls in this story both learned a lot from their different backgrounds and their differences as human beings and grew substantially in the process. I recommend it for any age.
on April 4, 2014
A group of my fourth (4th) grade girls read this book for independent reading. They enjoyed it and wished there was a sequel. As a final assignment, they wrote a continuing chapter about the first day at middle school and did a super job. This book really kept their interests and inspired character & setting writing.
on May 10, 2016
When a book is able to make you laugh or even cry, you know its good and this book made me do both of those things. There should definitely be some type of sequel to this because I would totally read it.
on April 14, 2012
I was looking for something light and entertaining and I got it. Violet is very human and not always the sympathetic character, but the reader can't help, but be involved with her life and predicaments. It was a realistic and fun portrayal of preteen friendship and love.
on September 28, 2015
I thought the book didn't really need anything else with it I wised there was a book number two forest have to
on January 21, 2015
I bought this book for my Granddaughter and she loved the book! It was a great read for her!