Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 462 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 501 reviews
on August 11, 2017
Yet again, the errors in this book are just as bad as the second book. How do you not realize these mistakes when reading these books? They're really noticeable. Gemma isn't AS childish in this book but the author put in some thoughts that were just like really? It's like 1 step forward 3 steps back with her. Alex FINALLY admits that he likes Gemma and owns up to all of his lies and he gains Gemma's trust just to lie to her again - read the previous sentence. She reveals everything that's going to happen through Gemma's visions so there's absolutely no suspense left when the moment comes. Just like in the last book, it's predictable. Someone told me that there's adult versions of these books so I downloaded the free trial to test it out and I'm not seeing any difference. The characters are just boring and the story line is getting more and more confusing each book. If this was thought out more, the characters weren't nearly as childish but more adult, the characters had more of a back story, and the story line had more depth to it (and actually made sense) then this series would be really good. But it's not. I bought this book thinking that things would be different but they're not and I really don't recommend reading this series. If you don't like book 1, then you're not going to like any of these books so don't waste your money. BUT if you liked book 1, then you will love the rest of this series.
on June 8, 2014
This book was so, so good. It answered alot of questions that I had. I wasnt ready for it to end though. I didnt want it to end the way that it did. I WANTED MORE!!!I am so happy there is one more book to this series. The storyline is still evolving. So thats a plus! This series isnt what I expected it to be. Its even better. I want to read more books by this author. She has done so good with this series.
With the characters they are still very strong. Overcoming so many hurdles and obstacles. Tackling so many new adventures. Nicholas however is very strange to me, like he doesnt quite fit in with the gang. So I dont know how they will have him end up. Gemma, Alex, Laylen and Aislin I am curious how they will be by the end of the story. I do want to know more about Aislin and Laylen. They havent told too much of their background. I love the characters Gemma and Alex. They are just so strong, especially Gemma she has come along way with not being able to feel. With who she really is. I cant wait to start the next book to see how it will all end.
Very Enjoyable, Great Storyline, Great paranormal young adult story. My first series by Jessica Sorenson and it has been so enjoyable!!!!
on May 11, 2016
I chose to give it all the stars because I love these books and I have read them all except the last one, The Promise. My kindle just said I can't get it because there is a a storm now and I accidentally pushed the cancel button, so now my kindle won't let me get the book. If only, of only.
on June 28, 2015
It's difficult to describe what I like and what I don't like about this book, or this series, cause nothing immediately comes to mind.
Ok... Dislike... Nicholas... Let's face it he really IS simply annoying.
The likes... Unfortunately there's just too many to name. I can feel what Gemma is going thru...I remember the feeling of that first "love at first sight" ... Alex confusing at first then you start to understand more and more than all Pd a sudden you realize he's been protecting her from day 1...
I love this series and I think this is my 5th or 6th time reading it. And it seems I always find more... Things or tidbits... Yay I didn't notice before.
I look forward to reading it again and again and again...forem...
Note #1: I'll be posting this same review on this single book and the combined set, so anyone thinking of starting this series is forewarned.

Note #2: I did end up really enjoying this series of books, and hence the 4 star review. However, if there were ANY way a future reader could skip the 1st book (which you can't, as it sets up the characters) I'd recommend it. So, although this review begins on a negative note, it does end up with a nice impression of this author's series.

THE BAD & THE REPETITIVE: I had this series of books HIGHLY recommended by a 20 year old friend and since the first book is !FREE!, I decided, "What the Heck? It's FREE so what's the loss?" I clearly mentioned my friend's age because I'm 60 years young and that's a 40 year age gap. Perhaps I've read too many stellar examples of literature, perhaps I expect too much from today's writers but as many 1 star reviewers mentioned, I HATED the 1st book! If my friend Britney hadn't have pushed me to get through the 1st novel, I would have never finished it nor continued with the remainder of the series.

Since the Twilight phenomenon, (which in all defense I read before they became a national obsession), I've noticed that new authors of YA books that I've read, suffer from the same paradigm with their female protaganist: 1) Poor self image; 2) Insufferable Product Tie-Ins of Indie Music and Hipster Clothing Lines, 3) The need to introduce every mythical character possible within the shortest time span! Witches, Vampires, Monsters, Faeries, Oh My!!! I felt that Jessica was following a Top 10 Inventory of Creatures and had to tick each one off the list in the first book. By the way, you forgot Trolls, Werewolves and Unicorns, however. 3) Greek God Supernatural Boyfriend with inhuman eye colour, 4) the female character always referring to herself as a "brat", and the most agregious offense of all, 5) the absolute INABILITY of the lead female to walk a straight line on a flat surface without bumping, falling, tripping or scraping some part of her body!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ARRRRRRRRRRRRR, as Mutant Enenmy would say!!!! :(

Here are some actual examples, which were so plentiful that I had to highlight them to justify to myself the continued reading of the books:

1) "I know I might sound like a brat here..."

2) "Okay, so I was being a brat..."

3) "Man, I sounded like a selfish brat..."
---------------------------------------------------------

4) "Chevelle, Hawthorne Heights, Dashboard Confessional; they were all such great bands." and "Make-Up Smeared Eyes by Automatic Loveletter hummed from the speakers" and "The song switched to Spill Canvas's "Lullaby",..." <<<the outright plugging of Indie bands continued to the very end of the series. ENOUGH! Whether Indie, Classical or Polka music, I don't need a playlist to understand what your character's are going through! And I don't want to read about your DC shoes, either!
----------------------------------------------------------

5) And now onto the pratfalls: " I landed in the living room of the cabin with the gracefulness of a drunken person, stumbling and banging my knee on the corner of the coffe table." and "I spun around, tripping over my own feet, and fell to the ground again. I jumped up, shaking off my soon-to-be-bruised knees." and "I landed in classic Gemma style, tripping over my own feet and plummeting for the grassy ground".

I highlighted over 23 references in the first 3 books of Gemma tripping, falling, bumping, sliding, etc. So, so tired of this being a character trait in young female principles. Can you even recall an incidence of ANY Jane Austin, Laura Ingalls Wilder or other young girls/women chronically and habitually tripping in every single book? I can't.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Sheer repetitive writing: (lessened as the series developed)

1)"For some reason, I had a feeling that this was going to be TRICKY. Faeries were TRICKY after all, so getting information from one seemed like it would be TRICKY." Really???? No thesaurus handy? How about a) crafty; b) wily; c) clever; d) deceptive???

2) From the very first chapter: "...black-cloaked monsters" and "...before the monsters..." and "...the black-hooded monster's bony fingers..." and lastly, "...the black-cloaked monsters crept from the trees..." Here again, GET THEE TO A THESAURUS!!! Try the words ghoul, fiend, demon, beast, evil spirit, wraith, or (as J.K. Rowling would have written) DEMENTORS! It was so clear to me that Jessica's "monsters" were an absolute lift from Harry Potter! Here's the wiki description of them: "A Dementor is a Dark creature, considered one of the foulest to inhabit the world. Dementors feed off human happiness, and thus cause depression and despair to anyone near them. They can also consume a person's soul, leaving their victims in a permanent vegetative state, and thus are often referred to as "soul-sucking fiends" and are known to leave a person as an "empty-shell."

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Okay, that was the Bad & Repetitive. Now onto the Good.

1) Extremely intersting character development.

2) Supernatural plot twists and unexpected turn of events in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books. Many times I shouted out loud, "Wow! I sure didn't see that happening!" They became fun and exciting to read.

3) Gemma STOPPED tripping!!!!!< that alone was enough to give the series a 4 star rating rather than 1 star!!!

4) NO ONE WAS TURNED INTO A VAMPIRE!!!!!!!! Best reason for reading the series! LOL (Laylen was a vampire from the beginning of the books.)

I don't want to give a single spoiler away in my review. Jessica came up with an extremely novel concept for her two lead characters, Gemma and Alex. I absolutely adored Laylen (crush time) and Alex's sister, Aislin. The books really held my interest as to WHY Gemma was afflicted with her malady; I felt honest compassion for her condition. The writing became tighter, less repetitive and more creative as the series developed. Yeah, there were typos and Yeah, there were obvious bad word choices such as "...I grinded my teeth..." where it should have read "...I ground my teeth..." but a good editor or beta reader could have caught these mistakes. Perhaps Jessica can adopt some of her fans to beta read all her books so future e-editions can be tidied up?

So, there you have it. HORRIBLE first book with a non-stop loop of yellow-eyed monsters, electricity, brilliant green and violet eyes and blue-tipped bangs, and Gemma bumping, tripping, falling over dust motes. But, utterly redeemable 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books that more than made up for the insanely boring and trite 1st book. After a brief amount of time, I want to reread the series, starting with the 2nd novel first. I am looking forward to reading the Lost Soul series and the Ember series, also, as I feel Jessica has developed her writing skills very well. :)
on April 24, 2017
Getting closer to the end. So many obstacles. I really love this series. Everything is so exciting. I can't wait to see what happens.
on December 4, 2016
I am re-reading this series with the shattered promises series. Love both series. Great story and like always cant wait to read the next book.
on October 1, 2012
Another awesome read from The Fallen Star Series!

This one was just as fast-paced, heart-wrenching, and fascinating at the two that came before it, and let me just say that I absolutely LOVE the premise to this series.

We've finally uncovered some of the darkest secrets in Gemma's world, and her relationship with Alex continues to be stretched and strengthened. As usual, Gemma has her immature moments, but I feel like in this novel she started to come to terms with her relationship with Alex and the other characters. She's starting to grow up and be responsible.

One character that it kind of getting of my nerves is Aislin. I don't know why, but something about her irritates me. I feel like I don't know her well enough, and I hope the final book of the series fixes that problem. Also, this book was either speed edited, or just not edited well enough at all. I caught mistakes all over the place that kind of irritated me, but I tried not to let it take away from the book.

The suspense was riveting! Seriously, I had no idea what was going to happen and I read this in one sitting. That's darn impressive for me since I have such a busy schedule! Loved it so much that I couldn't put it down.

On to The Promise, and the end (*sob*) of The Fallen Star series! :)
on December 31, 2012
So I am sitting here reading this amazing book and then I think....hmmmm..... this situation reminds me of the maximum ride. All throughout the book, they keep telling Gemma she has to say the world, that her existence is the most important thing in world. So I think, "where have I have I heard of this situation before?" Maximum Ride. They both relate to each other in a lot of ways. Like, if you haven't read the Maximum Ride series then you so should, because then you will get where I am coming from. For instance both Gemma, and Max relate to each other. Both of them were told that had to say the world. Both of them are always looking out for their enemies. I would say that out of the first three book s I have read I would say that this one was my favorite. I Gave this rating because it truly diserves it. The setting of the book never stayed the same which made it more interesting because you never got boarded with it. The book is such a Page tu ner tat I couldn't stop Reading it. I recommend this book to any one who wants an action filled book about a girl who is trying to save the world. ( With the help o her friends, of course.)
on November 27, 2012
The Fallen Star series is an absolute must read! I haven't been able to put the books down other than sleeping...I found the first book free and I got hooked and had to have the 2nd, 3rd,and now 4th book. I love Gemma and her friends. Everyone is unique and has secrets of their own..
I can totally see the characters come to life and feel like I am right there with them. I enjoy the myth-elements in this series and think it is a great story-line.