Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 137 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 152 reviews
on August 27, 2015
I wouldn't say it's the best film I've ever seen, or I would have given it 5 stars, but it's really good, nevertheless. Those of you interested in Benedictine live would see his Rule come to life; Hildegard was an "oblation", given by her parents. Also, there are other interesting aspects of monastery life portrayed in this film. It is also exquisitely filmed (cinematography). However, one part I didn't understand or like: Hildegard's illness was never explained. I always thought that she had migraines? But in this film, it appears more like catalepsy? Or perhaps it was a sort of Basilar Migraine? It didn't show any of her famous migraine/fortification drawings (very disappointing), but it did display her musical talents. It also strongly showed how she had to contend with both monastic and feudal authorities, and the way she had to overcome her own attachments, as well as reigning in her passions, and governing her gifts. Overall, it was well worth watching.
on January 15, 2016
Vision: From the Life of Hildegard Von Bingen
Hildegard Von Bingen in Portrait

These are the kinds of movies Hollywood does not produce. Hildegard von Bingen was a 12th century nun. Oh—also abbess. Oh—also visionary. And unofficial saint. And musical composer [some of her liturgical music is still performed today]. And scholar. And nurse, and pharmacist, and physician, and scientist. And theologian. And playwright. This woman undoubtedly was a genius. After centuries of relative obscurity, in recent decades there is renewed interest in this astonishing figure. These two movies tell a part [only a part] of her tale. Vision is in German with English subtitling available. The second is in English. Both are very much worth watching and it is interesting to watch both and see how the same events can be portrayed very differently.

KW
on September 23, 2015
I was initially drawn to this film by the reviews, but ended up being disappointed. I am not sure what the intended approach of this film was, whether the producer wanted to portray a negative, neutral, or positive view of nuns, monks, Catholicism etc. Doing what I can to learn more about the Catholic faith over the past couple years, this film stands out as one of the ones I liked the least. I did not find the acting convincing at all, but that aside, I also did not find the movie to be in line with other books, movies, documentaries, or experiences that I have had. I have been on a few monastery and convent retreats, and they were wonderful. Even if the film's intended aim was to portray the church negatively, I found the acting to be lacking. I did not find the nuns or monks convincing at all.

As a side note, some works about the saints and the church that inspired me are: The Reluctant Saint, Into Great Silence, God's Doorkeeper, Mark Twain's book on Joan of Ark, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Secrets of St. Therese, Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer (a good film about the Orthodox faith), Monsieur Vincent, and A Man for all Seasons. I have watched a lot more, but these are some of my favorites. The Catholicism series by Father Barron is really excellent as well.
on July 28, 2016
Beautifully done story of St. Hildegard of Bingen. She was a brilliant visionary who had a profound understanding and respect for nature. Her writings are intriguing, and this helped me greatly to understand more about who she was. Truly a woman ahead of her time. I loved this movie and the exquisite music, as well. I think this would appeal to nature lovers' as well as those specifically interested in this amazing German nun.
on August 11, 2016
I have seen this movie a few times and like it. I am an orthodox Roman Catholic and enjoy learning about saints. Writings, and in this case, music of the Doctors are often considered inspired by the Holy Spirit; this does not mean they are infallible, but it does mean that they contribute significantly to the formulation of Christian teaching in at least one area. I think those who produced this movie may have overemphasized Hildegard's independence of intellect and will and overly denigrated Church hierarchy. However, on balance, the film shows that the Church very much valued her as a prophetic visionary and a brilliant intellect. I would recommend it.
on October 23, 2016
This movie took artistic liberality regarding the relationships and great misrepresentation of religious life. Very difficult to capture that in a movie because of our modern culture. The music was beautiful and many facts were captured. Too bad we have lost the understanding of the true suffering experienced in relationships.
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2016
I found this incredibly interesting. If it's a true representation of life in 1000s Germany, all of what I thought I knew has been turned on its head! The religious and cultural details were really surprising. There are lots of reasons to watch this. I think there will be something for everyone. I've only seen it once, but I also suspect that it's the type of movie where you will see something different with subsequent viewings. It was really thought provoking.
on April 30, 2015
A Germany movie that takes place in the 12 century (1101-1200) about the life of Hildegard von Bingen who was a saint, writer, composer, and visionary in the order of Saint Benedict. A women who was truly ahead of her time. The movie follows her life from early childhood around age eight to her later years in life. The movie portrays her many uphill battles with her male superiors and the Catholic Church. I think the movie could have gone deeper into her visions. It's a well done move with good acting and directing. The music is beautiful and uplifting. A very inspirational movie.
on February 3, 2017
The movie was very entertaining, but definitely take it with a grain of salt. There are many details of this movie that are historically inaccurate, or just plain didn't happen. There is little knowledge about the day-to-day life of these nuns, so it makes sense that they had to fabricate small details to make an interesting plot. Overall it is a good movie though!
on June 7, 2015
I loved this. I also have the CD "Visions" from about 15 - 20 or so years ago. Though I'm Pagan, not Catholic, I am deeply inspired by Hildegard von Bingen and everything she accomplished in her 81 years on this earth. She was the penultimate feminist, far ahead of her times, and fortunately she's canonized by the church and, as of 2012, a doctor of the faith. Bless you.