Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 21, 2014
Bought this kamado thru amazon since I was told by our local costco wasn't carrying it again any time soon! Came to me in very good condition! Assembled very easy and the grill was exactly what I expected. Grill/smokes as good as any of the more expensive brands looks great and quality is equal in my opinion .
on January 29, 2014
I really like this grill. The food I've cooked on it always turns out great (chicken, ribs, shica-bobs w/ meat and veggies and shimps). I look forward to try to cook pizzas on this grill. My grill arrived well packaged. There was a small pencil eraser sized chip on the enamaled paint job on the front rt. side of the grill. But this was so small that I decided not to try to return it. I had no chips or cracks in any of the pieces/parts. I have no regrets and I've had the grill now for at least four months and I've not had a problem. The lid is easy to open and well supported in the back of the grill. Although the stand that comes w/ is not really attractive it works very well and keeps the grill stablized. This model of grill is older, you will not get all the bells and whisles of the newer models like the removeable ash tray; but it is solid and well made and will last a long time with proper care. I use mine at least three times a month!!!
on September 11, 2012
I purchased this on season close out at my local Costco for $399 about a month ago. It really does compare to the Big Green Egg (BGE) and Primo grills for performance. It's about the size of a large BGE and can use some of the same accessories. I wasn't really considering BGE or Primo because they weren't in the budget. However, I almost bought a dedicated smoker instead, but I'm glad I didn't. I just couldn't see paying $200 to $400 for a metal box when I could have this. I'm hoping this is a buy it for life item, but only time will tell.

So far I've been mostly impressed with the construction. The head snapped off one bolt during assembly, which gives me some pause, but I was using a socket wrench, so I might have over-tightened it some. Otherwise everything is solid. The shelves are very nice and it comes with two tiered rack and cover. It has a huge firebox, so you shouldn't really load it to the top like you do with other kamados. Ideally you'd even put your deflector plate within the fire box. To do this, I purchased a spider along with a 16" wok from ceramic grill store dot com, and a 14" round 1" thick deflector plate (aka pizza stone) here Old Stone 4461 14-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone. The spider will hold the heat deflector or the wok. The heat deflector allows us to do slow indirect cooking. You can't really smoke or BBQ without it. We checked for air leakage while smoking and found none. In fact, we accidentally snuffed out the fire once when we didn't mean to by closing it up too much. Despite our beginner mistakes, learning to control the heat was easy, and everything we cooked turned out great.

The first thing we made was ribs. They were some of the best ribs I've ever had, and I grew up in Texas. We've also roasted chicken, cooked pork loin roast, grilled shish-kabobs of shrimp and veggies, and made stir fry in the wok. My husband said that cooking on the grill is very fun and not significantly more work than the gas grill once you know what you are doing. I appreciate that I don't have as much mess in the kitchen to deal with. I have a young son and I'm glad that the bottom doesn't get as hot as some other grills ...ahem BGE ahem. I've checked while grilling and the bottom is just rather warm and not burning hot. I also love that it can handle both low and high temps very well. My Weber Q, which is still working after 10 years of regular use, is feeling lonely.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 27, 2014
I've had my Vision Grill for a year now. It's the finest smoker I have owned. I have absolutely no problem doing 18 hour smokes. I use only lump charcoal not briquettes. To do a long slow smoke I put one chimney of unlit charcoal on the bottom and add one lit chimney on top of that. Close to lower vent till just one row of open holes are showing. Top vent is almost closed. I have gone 18 hours without having to add any charcoal.
I did have a problem with my top vent sticking. I emailed customer service Laurie the customer service rep emailed me back the next day and had a new top vent in my mailbox in two days! I was amazed! I love this grill AND their customer service! If you want to do it right use lump charcoal!
on September 15, 2013
Basically what others have also said, after cooking labor day weekend at a buddy's house on his Big Green Egg (ribs, chicken, burgers, pizza) I was sold on Kamado grilling/smoking. The airtight ceramic holds heat and is super efficient on fuel, this sort of thing has been around for like 2000 years so you could say it was a tested idea!

I compared his BGE grill, but lacked side shelves, stand, double tiered grate, cover this one has for much less money and bought one. The upper grate comes off if you are not using it. The lower grate actually has a flip-up section so you can add smoking wood w/o major issues lifting the whole grate and your food with it like the BGE.

To say I am impressed is an understatement. I am not one to gush on products and reviews, but this is really a great product. Its well packed except for the inner metal grill which should have been secured with foam, but it did not do any damage. Setup is easy, and they even supplied two wrenches needed - how's that for complete! They also shipped one extra of each nut and washer in case you drop one!

Assembly hint - Stainless steel is SOFTER than regular steel - go easy on the torque. Use the supplied tools not over-sized stuff.

Mine was marked at "PHASE 2" on a sticker on the back. I think means ver 2.0. I had seen one of these at Costco a year or so ago and it must have been ver 1.0, as shortcomings were addressed.

The top vent on earlier ones was clipped on but felt a bit cheesy as it was not secured really well and did not have a seal around the top dome vent. This has changed - The new vent has a felt seal around exhaust that holds it super tight, and the vent itself now has a spring loaded tight feel. If it gets sticky use some soap and hot water, or possibly wd40.

The hinge seems to have been improved and holds the lid exactly in line. Earlier version seemed loose and cheap.

Bottom vent now has a rubber seal.

Bottom firebox insulator was added after some complaints about cracking in the bottom. This is a ceramic thin flat round plate thing that just keeps direct heat away from the bottom and is sized well to center inside the firebox.

My only regret is that I have buy a indirect cooking heat deflector. A stainless drop in metal spider is sold and many use a cast iron pot with handle cut off for deflector and / or drip pan. You can use the spider also to hold a Wok for kickin' stir fry.

** Use LUMP charcoal, not briquets. You can use some wood was well cut small.

Company website:

These cubes from Amazon are fast easy starters. You can also use electric, newspaper, but NOT FLUID. yuck!
Weber 3975 Firestarter Lighter Cubes
on July 28, 2013
They are on sale for $400. at Costco.

Got mine yesterday. Not as refined in some ways as the BGE but saving about $600. I will live with it.

Vision doesn't have much in the way of accessories - but if you go to: [...] they have an extensive list accessories for the Vision Grills.

Like the BGE the stuff ain't cheap but it is no worse the other brands & the grill saves a bundle of bucks.

UPDATE: 8/3/13

Lighting lump charcoal - for my first smoke of some ribs, I loaded the lump and some wood chunks (which I inserted at various depths & areas among the lump) then I inserted 2 Weber lighter cubes. I let it go with the top open for about 2 or 3 minutes the closed the top with the top vent at about 1/8 inch open. Turn on my PitMaster IQ110 controller within a few minutes the cooker was at 225F - I put the ribs in and about 3 hours later (which was probably about 15 minutes too long) I had falling off the bone ribs. Remember if they are falling of the bone - they are over cooked.

But the combination of this cooker and the PitMaster IQ make worry free setup. Now that I know how well these two work together I'm looking forward to my first overnight cook and being able to sleep through the night.
on October 29, 2015
My wife and I purchased this grill about a year ago. The first thing we tried was a smoked turkey. After that first try I must say that this is an exceptional addition to anyone's backyard grilling experience. After using it for that first time we have grilled everything you can think of! The taste is not like any standard grill you have ever used. Steaks are perfect. Hamburgers are perfect. Chicken is never dry and always comes out with mouth watering flavor. As far as I can tell this is the best grill on the market!! We are very happy with the build quality as much as we are with the way it makes food taste!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 6, 2016
I've owned this grill for two years now and for the most part it has been great. Awesome ability to control the temperature...until the top vent gave out. Even with the recommended maintenance of cleaning it periodically, the amount of gunk from cooking ended up building up to the point that it could not be manipulated to open or close anymore. The bracket holding the top vent handle isn't that strong and gave out/snapped. I couldn't find a replacement on Amazon so I submitted my request directly to Vision Grills (06APR16).
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 24, 2013
The Vision Grills Kamado BBQ is outstanding, high quality fittings and excellent ceramic. Seals tightly and good controlled heat and temperature. I have used a Big Green Egg before and this is equivalent at a fraction of the price (I purchased mine from Costco). However, the quality of the after-sales service from the manufacturer is awesome. I noticed after a few months of use that the top vent was sticky and stiff to adjust when hot and I emailed the manufacturer customer service. Current models have a spring adjustment that avoids the sticking and I requested the spring fitting to modify the vent. I received a phone call from customer service the next day and they sent me a complete replacement top vent at no charge as they did not stock the spring fitting only. This was the same type as the one originally fitted to the unit; they advised me that the spring type was not in stock but they would send me one when available. One month later they sent me the new design complete top vent (which is excellent and works perfectly).
All of this was done without fuss or bother and at no cost to me. It is unusual to find such excellent after-sales service, but this supports their excellent product. Highly recommended. If you are looking for a Kamado type charcoal grill/BBQ/smoker, look no further and buy a Vision Grills product without hesitation. I recommend the product from my personal experience and the company that stands behind it.
on January 8, 2014
I've had the Classic B for about 2 months, and I have to say it's the most versatile grill I've ever owned. I've been cooking on a pellet grill for about 9 years, and, although I love the taste of the food, the ability to sear the holy hell out of something or delicately smoke a piece of fish makes the kamado a hands down winner.

The big complaint I had with my pellet grill was that even though you could choose your species of wood for smoking, you never got enough of a smoke taste. The auger would dump a load of pellets into the fire box and it would smoke for a couple of minutes and then no smoke for about 5 minutes. I had to get an extra smoke box for wood chips to get any smoke flavor. But the Vision!! A couple of hickory chunks near the coals and there was enough smoke for the best ribs I've ever made.

There definitely is a learning curve with this, but once you get the hang of it, it's amazing. Lamb lollipops and shrimp get the perfect amount of grill flavor and crust without over cooking, steaks can be as charred or clean as you want. With the optional lava stone, maintaining a constant, low temp for indirect heating is a snap. Ribs are phenomenal and smoked salmon is AMAZING! We did a standing rib roast at Christmas and it was awesome.

I should mention that the last few meals we made (including a low, smoked salmon) were done in a blinding snowstorm as well as single digit temps. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in grill prep time in the cold, nor is it difficult to maintain high or low temps, either.

Don't look at any other grill solution...gas, charcoal, pellet, nuclear fission, whatever. Just get a Vision!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.