Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Visiting Small-Town Florida
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 6, 2006
Be sure to look for the newer edition (2003) as it covers 70 small towns. I started out thinking I would just dip into this, and read a few pages here and there. Then it turned out to be so interesting with Florida history, local tidbits, interesting people and architecture, that I read it straight through.

Now I can't wait to visit Havana to see the antique shops or to see the 36 murals in Lake Placid.

Some of the towns merely have interesting names (Yeehaw Junction) or a single sight, but many sound worthwhile for a day trip or longer visit. Probably should keep this book in the car while in Florida and check it occasionally to see if you are near any of these interesting places.

It is arranged by regions (north, central and south),
on October 7, 1999
This book depicts a side of Florida rarely seen. Although in the last 50 years or so Florida has experienced unparalled growth at the hands greedy developers and susceptible politicians, this book proves that some of what makes Florida great still exists. Small towns such as Arcadia, Cedar Key, and LaBelle are mirrors into Florida's past, preserving the diverse history of our state while retaining their small-town character. One of things that surprised me the most about this book is the fact that there are still some small towns on the Florida coast. Towns like Boca Grande and St. George Island prove that a sustainable coastal community can be retained without high-rise condos and tacky tourist shops. Nonetheless, most of the towns depicted here are in the interior of the state, which for the most part has retained its small town character (with the exception of Orlando, a true eye-sore smack dab in the middle of the state). Tourists should buy this book to appreciate the true Southern flavor of a state taken over by Yankees. I should know--I'm a fifth-generation Florida cracker!
on December 15, 2000
I took this book along when we went to Florida over Thanksgiving. While we did the usual Orlando stuff, we also visited several of the towns listed in the book. It was a great experience to see what is "off the beaten path". Small towns with everyday people going about their daily business, much like our own home town. It was nice to walk through shops and sit down at restaurants that didn't have a "theme". If you are going to Florida, I highly reccomend it as a travel guide.
on August 16, 2011
I bought the book because I am from Small-Town Florida. The descriptions are quite accurate, although sometimes more detail would be nice. I am glad he included Two Egg, but I question Seaside instead of Seagrove or Grayton. Yeehaw Junction was a necessary inclusion, and his description of the Bok Tower Gardens at Lake Wales is spot on! When you come to Florida, and leave the beaten path (Interstate 75), the Gardens is place everyone should visit. It is as close to Heaven as you will get in Florida.
on October 29, 2004

It is arranged by regions (north, central and south),
on April 18, 2014
I keep this book in my vehicle's glove compartment. That way it is handy when I feel like getting away for a day or two, but don't know where to go. I also like to keep there when I travel because sometimes I am near one of the little towns, and I can make a quick side trip and know just where to go. I wish every state had a book like this one.
on September 26, 2013
I've picked up this book several times whenever I plan a road trip and have found interesting places to stop at!
on December 16, 2010
lived around the forgotten coast for years have visited it near carrabelle. this book brings back so much. its great for anyone who wants to see the real florida and not just high rise condos. live a little.
on December 5, 2014
Moved to FL almost 7 years ago & this book, along with my GPS, really helped to find out more about my adopted state. I'm not a let's-go-visit-Disney-type person so it's great to find out all of the alternatives.
on July 10, 2014
This book is very informative. It list a lot of wonderful places to visit. It also tells the history behind these places. So, in reading this book you will get a lot of information and know which places you will want to start visiting first! I recommend this book.