Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 3, 2017
I have had this out a couple times and it has performed quite well both times--expecially considering the price, I rate this better than any of the other tripod's in this price range! It holds well in all functions, the slide out for the bottom of the camera is easy in and easy out. I have not used this for my phone yet, nor will I probably, but I do have a Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera that I want to try and it even held my older, heavy Olympus E-500 Digital camera with a very heavy 140-600 mm lens. Everything slid in and out of place nicely, no catches or bugs.

Excellent purchase!
on June 8, 2015
I ordered another one since the first one works good. The first shipment came with a nice zippered bag with a shoulder strap. The 2nd came with a paper thin bag with a cheap draw string and no shoulder strap. The picture on the box shows the better bag with shoulder strap and was part of the reason I ordered a 2nd because it was a nice way to store and carry when out on range. That is the reason for 1 star, inconsistency of items shipped. Tripod itself is great for my chronograph and the other is for my spotting scope. Great customer service by Amazon correcting situation. 5 star purchase.
review image
5 helpful votes
on December 1, 2015
unfortunately the lever that turns to adjust the height of the top half of the tripod broke but I do like it and ordered a replacement via amazon return. IT's a good tripod for cameras and binoculars but the small parts are not made of high quality but for the money its worth it.I included a few pictures of the item that broke only because its not heavy duty plastic but on the other hand for the money its definitelyDavis & Sanford EXPLORERV Vista Explorer 60" Tripod with Tripod Bag and 10 Year Warranty worth buying in my opinion.
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment|Report abuse
Used few time, probable the best portable tripod you can get for anywhere near this price. Not some cheap chines knock-off. Not the panning is not smooth enough for video but I can move up and down and adjust tilt smoothly even when in the middle of recording video but it is too jerk when panning across a scene. The camera adapter quickly detaches from the base when you flip the lever so I just lever is crewed on most of the time. The lever attachment is also secure and should hold any modest weigh camera very securely. The lever to control each leg extensions position locking work well in that they are easy to engage and disengage while also firmly preventing slipping once engaged. I personally do not use the hook bit other might enjoy that detail. For $20 it is a bargain. I have not need the built-in level but may use them more in the future.
on April 18, 2014
I got this tripod for filming with a camcorder. It seemed like a good product when I got it, it was lightweight and it had lots of ways to adjust it. one feature that I really liked was the detachable baseplate, which made it super easy to remove the camcorder to review the footage. The reason I didnt like it was because of the panning abilities, the components are plastic and they grab on each other causing jerky movements and audible popping. This was extremely frustrating when filming at a high zoom and micro adjustments needed to be made, because you couldnt do it. I found that I was better off just lifting up the whole tripod off the ground and turning it by hand when I needed to pan. If you are just going to be using this for a singular point and shoot it might work for you but if you need to track objects go for something better.
on April 11, 2014
I bought this from amazon just before my trip to florida. Looked all good when I opened the package. Having used it for few days now I started to realize this particular product has many issues. For starters one of the leg lock broke while adjusting height. After mounting the camera and tightening all the locks, seems like it doesn't hold the camera too well. Every time I adjust the height and walk away to take picture of me and my wife it seems to lower the picture angle cutting off nearly half the scenery. Very frustrated, definitely not happy with the product. Please beware and stay away from it, choose a better stand.
5 helpful votes
on January 31, 2011
I read many of the reviews on this tripod and decided to buy it even with the negative reviews that were written about this tripod. I think the negative reviews were written by professional photographers who were looking for a professional grade tripod at a bargain price or people who had no idea how to manipulate the tripod.

I am an amateur photographer and will probably only use this tripod a dozen or so times a year and so could not justify an expensive tripod. I bought this to use with my Canon T2i DSLR. When I my tripod arrived I mounted my camera on the tripod with the 55-250 IS telephoto lens which is the heaviest lens I own. The tripod was able to hold my camera steady at every angle I tried and working even better than I had hoped. Playing with the tension on all of the settings I was also able to easily pan side to side and up and down with my camera mounted on the tripod.

The legs are made of aluminum and many of the remaining parts are plastic but seem to be very sturdy for my use. I have two $30,000 vehicles in my garage that are made with many plastic parts so why should I expect anything different with my $25 tripod.

This tripod is going to do everything that I need it do at a bargain price. For any amateur photographer looking for a cheap tripod for occasional use this one will work great for you.
15 helpful votes
16 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 24, 2013
Updated June, 2017 - One of the legs fell out, so the tripod is useless. I downgraded this from 5 stars to 3 stars. The cheap plastic lever that holds the leg broke inside. Additionally, the unit is jerky and squeaks when panning or tilting for videos, so be warned. Now the tripod is $32 which is no longer a bargain. I bought a quieter head but there is no way to remove the existing creaky head either to replace it. YOu are stuck with this head and mounting plate. So, consider this a short term tripod with squeaky and jerky head for video, no way to upgrade the head and the legs will fall apart over time. When it worked and wasn't noisy, I liked it, but now looking for a more reliable tripod with smoother, quieter head and included monopod that some other units now offer. The mounting pad is also wiggly which is not good for video.

Here is the original review from 2-3 years ago:
I have had this tripod for about 4 months and it still works great. I use it to make videos of community events about 1-2 times a week. A couple of caveats:
- It is heavier and bulkier than I expected, so there are some lighter tripods out there, but not as complete as this one.
- It is critical you get an extra mounting plate in case yours breaks or you want one for extra cameras. Not all mounting plates are the same size and many ads for them do not give the base plate measurements, so get the one listed for this - they are not always in stock, and it will show up if you search on "Vista Explorer Tripod". If you read some comments on other brands of mounting plates you will see some where it would not fit and they were unhappy and could not use it. This tripods mounting plate (that inserts into the pan head) is 1 3/4" square on the bottom of the plate.
- This tripod's pan head does NOT provide for a standard screw to insert into a camera, so you must always have the mounting plate to fit into the pan head.
- The maximum height to the top of the tripod when setup and the center rod is rolled up to the maximum is 62" which is good if you are sitting in a hall and want enough height to extend above the heads of people sitting in chairs. (A major improvement from my old tripod.)

In summary, this is a great tripod and much better than my old, shorter tripod which required me to screw the camera into the tripod rather than using a removable plate.
vj
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on December 20, 2013
I needed a very functional and inexpensive camera tripod to use with an iPhone to make some basic videos with. This Vista Explorer Tripod was one of the tallest at 60", and had all the bells and whistles of most other units included at a very reasonable price (under $30).

It has a lot of adjustability with 2-stages of leg length, and the top bar extends up as well. It is lightweight aluminum construction with plastic brackets, locking mechanisms, and handles. It has the bubble-angle gauges, carrying handle, weight hook for stability, will pan up and down, and left to right. This is not an expensive fluid-style tripod....so if your need is for panning and tracking movement, these pivot points are all friction fit. Don't expect panning to be super smooth (but it may smooth out a little over time with some use). This was the only "issue" that I had with it, that panning back and forth horizontally, it chatters or shakes a little even with the lowest tension. For setting up and taking photos or video from a stationary position (my requirement) it works great!

Overall I am very pleased with this 60" Tripod....so far it has done all that I have needed it to do. For the price it is excellent....I am not a professional photographer, I just needed something functional at a low price...this was the best choice I found in my searching of tripods in this price range. I am also careful with it and use common sense handling it and transporting it. It is an inexpensive tripod with a lot of user friendly features. If taken care of I think it will last a long time and provide great videos!
3 helpful votes
on July 20, 2015
Received the stand, which is one nice stand, has two bubble levels, quick release camera base, very nice formed aluminum poles, ball and socket feet.
This should easily be a 80+ dollar stand. But first second I tried to raise/lower the pole with the turn crank. The crank broke off with no effort at all.
Normally this would be an instant return. But I see now why the seller is selling them cheaply. Fortunately the reason I see that it broke, is there is a design flaw. There is a steel cotter pin that is exerting a lot of pressure on the plastic turn crank pivot hole, which is ready to break.
Fortunately the crank will break off at a good place where you can glue it together again. But then you should drill out this hole enough so this won't happen again. Which I have and so far so good.

So if your a handyman looking for a deal. I recommend to immediately remove the cotter pin and drill out the plastic a fraction and put it back in before you actually break it off under normal use. Otherwise you will be re-glueing the crank and it won't be as strong.
It also would be a good idea to leave out the aluminum rest pin (behind the spring) which only adds to the pressure on the crank.
It only serves as to keep the crank in the resting position. So for the money, it's worth it to put 10 minutes into it.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.