Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 543 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 626 reviews
on April 23, 2015
After using a Zojirushi ice cooker for the past 8 years and replaced the inner container twice because it has been scratched. The fear of the eating the toxins leaking into my rice had made me think twice about continuing with the existing rice cooker. In the search of new rice cooker, I stumbled into this VitaClay Rice cooker.
Despite the concerned from some of the reviews on Amazon.com regarding the VitaClay products, mostly about how fragile the inner container is. I have decided to give it a try because of the potential benefit of a clay pot offers.

The concept of having a clay pot in the multi-cooker intrigues me. For years, I have been told by my older family members that clay cooking are healthier for you plus the benefit of tasting better due to the porous nature of the material where heat and moisture circulates more evenly than other materials like stainless steel cookware.

In some of the reviews I saw, I didn’t notice any aluminum on the bottom of the pot, I believed I have purchased a newer model so that problem has been solved.

The other major concern most reviewers had been about how fragile clay cookware are. There is an untold technique of treating your clay pot before using them and I am not certain why it is not written on any instructions. The key is to SOAK your clay pot OVERNIGHT before use to prevent cracking in the future. Some clay pots I have purchased have indicated soaking in water for 2 hours, but if you don’t want to buy another one, I would soak it overnight. Please also make sure you DO NOT put it in cold water for cleaning when the clay pot is hot or warm because you will surely put a crack to it. It is a very dedicate product, so you have to be gentle with it.

At the end, I am glad I have purchase this VitaClay rice cooker because I have been making wonderful tasting rice everyday for almost a month now.

review image
22 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2015
beware, this is a piece of junk, i love the whole idea of not being spray with chemicals, but it truly its just an expensive and poorly made muti cooker, i was very careful with mine, read all the directions and it literally cracked while cooking one time, i didn't notice it until i washed it later that night, i wondered why there was steam and water leaking on the bottom and i saw burn marks on the inside, this is so disappointing, i filed a claim on the vita clay website! what a JOKE, a 3 weeks later i got an email to file another one, i called a random customer service number on the website and some random unprofessional person answered and sounded like they were sitting at home and had no idea what i said.......NEVER AGAIN!
review image review image
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2016
I'm using this 6-cup rice cooker daily for few years now, and I love it!

I had the 8 Cup - Multicooker as well and it ended up with E1 error. Then I went with the 6 cup rice cooker since I don't cook large amount. Today I got the same E1 error with my 3 years old rice cooker. Since I have nothing to lose, I tried to open the rice cooker to see what's going on. And I'm in luck! I was able to fix the E1 error. And here we go.

Reason for E1 Error:
-----------------------------
There are few sensors in this cooker. One at the lid, and another one goes under the cooker. If any one of the wires of these sensors got braked you will get the E1 Error.

One wire for lid sensors is broken and it is giving the problem for me and this could be the reason for 98% of the E1 Error. The tiny wires goes to the lid sensors are getting bend all the time you open and close the lid. So eventually you will end up breaking one of these wires for sure.

Reason for E2 Error:
-----------------------------
While testing, I cut both the wires of once censor, which started to give me E2 error. So if you get E2 error, that should be both wires got broken in one of the sensors.

Fix E1/E2 Errors:
---------------------
==== Please check my pictures before you attempt to fix. ===

1. Remove the small side cover. It is attached to the cooker with one scre.
2. Remove the upper lid cover.
The most hard part in the fixing process is opening the lid. There are two screws hidden under the lid handle. You have to remove the lid handle cover and then remove the two screws. Then you can remove the whole upper case of the lid.
3. Fix the broken wires.
Once you remove the upper case, you can clearly see how the wires are. If they are broken, reconnect and tape it.

You are good to go!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 19, 2015
I don't typically write reviews, but I was not impressed by the VitaClay cooker and have not been impressed by their customer service. I used the cooked approximately 5 times before the clay pot cracked. I submitted a warranty claim, and about one month passed before they responded via warranty tracker that I ought not have cooked the beef for five hours but instead for no more than three, but that I could purchase a new clay pot, submit a receipt to them, and then receive a refund ("as a courtesy"). This tough cut of beef was not tender after three hours, and I said so. I am frustrated that they asked me to purchase a new pot and then submit a receipt rather than simply sending me a new one. I am frustrated that apparently this "slow" cooker is not meant to be used beyond three hours. I am frustrated that I've asked for a full refund and, a month later, have not heard anything further back. I was very hopeful that this slow cooker would be our winner; it's lead free and the clay pot made me feel virtuous about slow cooking (rather than guilty), and I liked it as a rice cooker as well. However, I will not be purchasing another pot (even with the promise of a refund), and I would not recommend purchasing this product. I am looking into alternatives.

Update: I bought the Instant Pot Duo and LOVE it. Much easier to work (buttons/timers are much more straightforward), stainless steel pot that won't crack, and it's a pressure cooker in addition to slow cooker, rice cooker, and yogurt maker. I wish I had bought it in the first place!!
on April 10, 2016
I was so very pleased with this that I ordered another one. I have two of the six quarts. It has helped me a lot to have food always ready. I had been gaining weight because food was not ready when I was hungry and I was eating that was around, nuts etc.. Now thanks to the delay start button, I prepare healthy breakfast the night before and it is ready when I wake up in the morning. I also prepare lunch the night before and it is ready in the morning. I can take both to work in a thermos. and at night, I either keep what is ready on warm so it is ready for the evening or I prepare something in the morning for dinner. It has really made a difference in my diet, in my health and I have lost a lot of pounds already. I use one pot to always have my bone broth ready and warm when I need it. (I cook the bone broth in a Cusinart huge slow cooker because it can fit more bones but then as I refrigerate it, I take the portion I need for the day in the Vitally). I read a lot about people who have had broken pots. You need to know how to cook with clay. Clay is a change of culture. It is not for the "American instant fast microwave" culture. Clay is a total different mind set. Clay cooking does not like changes in temperature. So for example, when I need to cook, the night before I put everything outside in the pot or at least a few hours before, if it will come from the fridge. So that it adjusts to the room temperature. When there is a burn, I put vinegar and baking soda. I have not had issues with smells as others report. But I have been cooking mostly and only with clay posts for years now and if there are smells in my other pots, I use white vinegar. Also, even if the manufacturer advises to use soaps, clay pots should never touch soaps because the soap gets into the clay. Cultures that use clay pots know that. The food really tastes wonderful and I am extremely pleased. I may later purchase an 8-cup for when I have guests to be able to fit more food. I have absolutely not regretted purchasing these two pots.
on August 15, 2013
First off, easy solution to mold problems: VitaClay includes a little plastic cup, which I believe should be used to keep the lid ajar during storage, so air can circulate. I do this, and never have a mold problem, even if I haven't used the cooker for weeks.
I have used the cooker for various dishes- mostly slow-cooking stews with veggies and tougher cuts of meat. It's also worked well to steam veggies; I might leave it on for 10-20 minutes, then turn it off and let them "finish". Flavors are locked in quite well.
There's no chance of exposure to lead glaze or aluminum, thanks to the ceramic pot. And it was a good value (I got it on sale for under $100, free shipping).
Customer service is great. Within the first month, I got concerned, as the unit wasn't turning on. I talked to a real person, who really helped me over the phone. (Ha, the cord was slightly unattached to the pot.)
If I did it over again, I would probably purchase the Instant Pot IP-LUX60 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker instead, as it pressure-cooks, but also sautes, cooks rice, and slow-cooks. Plus, it comes with a triple-bottom-layer stainless steel insert, so again, there's no concern of lead or aluminum byproduct...
review image review image
on May 12, 2013
Main problem I had with this product is a pronounced plasticy smell that it emits (more than just a smell--it's fumes that irritate eyes and nose). It was extremely difficult to get hold of the "company" (apparently just a few people connected by cell phones) and when I did, things turned Kafka-esque.

First they said the smell would go away if I just ran the unit with plain water a number of times. I tried this and smell persisted. When I finally reached them again, they said that they couldn't replace or refund money on unit since I ran it some many times (per the instructions to try to get rid of smell).

Remember, some cooking magazine that gives this unit high marks might only use it once or just read a description of product--they don't have to deal with ongoing support issues or longer-term design issues. This has been, by far, worst buying experience with Amazon and I'd stay away from these guys.
55 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2016
Just received this item and looks like they have some QC problems and releasing their product unchecked. I don’t think any lid should be warp like that (pic provided) plus when I am closing the lid of the cooker, I need to apply a lot of force to close it tight. It could be because the lid and pot of the cooker are bad, the electric cooker seem fine. I would not suggest buying this product until they resolve their QC problems. As for myself, I don’t plan on buying a replacement pot and lid as I might get another warp pot or lid. I bought their 8 cup multicooker two years ago and it was great, but this 6 cup I just got is a bad product.

Hoping that it would still be okay to use with a warp lid, I proceed to follow the instruction to season the clay pot by filling with 75% full of water and 1 cup of white rice and pushed the 'Soup' button for the 2 hours cooking. To my disgust, it was boiling out in 30 mins and I got a big mess to clean up now.
Updated rating: Avoid this product.
review image review image review image
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2015
This works well, but the cover is so recessed and the handle on the cover is so shallow that I keep burning myself no matter what. I just can't get a grip on that cover with any kind of over mitt on. I have to use a dish towel and inevitably get burned. Unfortunately, stuck with it too long to return it. I used this for my Quinoa and Oatmeal. I'm ordering a pressure cooker I saw online that will handle the Quinoa or oatmeal in just a few minutes instead of 20-30 minutes.

Updated 2-24-15: Now the clay pot has cracked. I've used it about 10 times total, have never over cooked, and the clay pot has a long crack running through the bottom and up half of one side. A total waste of money. By the way, I finally figured out to use tongs to lift the cover off, but it doesn't matter now anyway. Poorly made product. It's too bad, it could be awesome. Loving my pressure cooker with the stainless steel pot!
on December 13, 2008
I could not be more pleased with the VitaClay rice cooker! It is everything I hoped it would be.

I probably invested about $1000 of my time researching rice cookers before making this purchase. I was very concerned about the VitaClay due to prior reviews I read here. I called VitaClay's manufacturer twice and I also did research at a lot of other sites. Ultimately, I decided to take a chance on the VitaClay, but I also planned to order a purely stainless steel model too.

However, now that I have used the VitaClay for a week (cooking with it every day), I know this is the rice cooker for me. I do not need to look any further.

It cooks perfect brown rice. I have also cooked rice + mung dal in it many times. The food doesn't stick to the clay pot. The flavors are great.

I am satisfied that the quality of the clay pot is good. It passes California's tough regulations. These days I hesitate to purchase anything from China, but I'm comfortable that this product is safe.

The rice cooker does not give off any unusual smells. My concerns about potential toxic materials in the cooker have disappeared after inspecting and using it. The construction quality is very high. It is super easy to clean. The controls are easy to use. The design looks nice. I feel I got a lot of value for my money.

UPDATE:
I have had my VitaClay rice cooker for almost two years now. i like it more than ever. It has held up well. It still looks like new even though I use it almost every day. I have had zero problems with it.

BTW, the heating element does not come into contact with the food. The heating element is outside of the clay pot. The food only touches the clay. And, at the time I purchased mine, the owner of the company told me they do not use a non-stick coating on the heating element.

Is there a better and safer rice cooker on the market anywhere? I have not found one. I think the VitaClay rice cookers are the best available - and the price is incredibly low too. If I ever find myself in a position to give a rice cooker as a gift, I will only give a VitaClay. And I will not cook with anything else myself.

UPDATE 2: Well, it is now more than four and a half years later and my VitaClay rice cooker is still working well and I still like it as much as I did when I first wrote this review. I still give it 5 stars.
1313 comments| 447 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse