Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on April 28, 2010
Okay... so I've played every Sierra and LucasArts game known to man... including the King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory, Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion series etc.
In other words... I know my adventure games. Those were the vintage days of yore. Then came The Longest Journey, Sanitarium, Syberia and a few more good ones... Lately though, the "classic point n click" adventure genre has been a bit lame/dry... That is until now. I caught wind of this game about a year ago when it was said to be coming to the states following its VERY successful German release. It was well worth the wait. The graphics are the closest thing to playing an animated film I've ever seen, the story is wonderful, the puzzle are challenging but not ridiculous. You are Sadwick the Clown and your are about to embark on one LONG JOURNEY to save the world... The interface is very simple yet intuitive, and it is reminiscent of the control in "Full Throttle" but LucasArts... You simple hold down the mouse button on an object you wish to look, use or talk to and select the proper action. Right clicking opens your inventory which is a giant bag with all your goodies inside.

A word of warning.. this game is HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY in the dialogue. BUT... its very witty and the voice acting/translations are spot on from the German version. Sadwick's voice is a little irritating at times but it does match his personality and name "SAD"wick.

Bottom Line... if you want a kick a$$ adventure game that will bring you back to the good ol' days when Sierra and LucasArts ruled the PC gaming industry... then by all means buy this game. It is worth beyond 29.99 and will take you hours and hours to finish "unless you cheat"
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 12, 2011
I thought "The Whispered World" was above average difficulty with great artwork and a whole unusual world created. I tend to give five stars to games that are move difficult, because I love the brainwork. I liked a lot about this game, but when I compared it to my other 5-star-rated games, such as "Ceville", "Return to Ravenhurst" and "Painted Tower", I realized I didn't get as much of a kick out of the story-line and situations in this game. It's a little blah compared to other adventure games I've played.

But that doesn't mean I didn't like "The Whispered World", I did. And figuring out the next step could be down right devilishly difficult. I had to resort to a walk-through a couple times. Every once in a while, there will be a long spate of conversation, but it's not useless conversation. There are clues to the next step if you pay attention. And paying attention to a prior clue can save you loads of time in skipping parts of the current conversation. Unfortunately, I never realized what parts of the conversation I could skip until it was too late! For example, Sadwick (the hero) needs to take something from the clothesline, but his older brother won't let him. You need to distract the brother, and one thread of the conversation tells you, step by step, what would scare him. But you have to pay attention, because the answer isn't handed you on a platter!

I loved the way the interaction is set up in this game. When you click on someone or something, a circle pops up, like a pie chart, with three symbols: an eye for looking at the person/object, lips for talking to the person/object, and a hand for touching/handling the person/object. You have to pick one of the three ways of interacting. Sometimes, the trigger for the next step is looking, sometimes talking or handling, and it seemed to me, anyway, that you never knew which one would work best.

I played "The Whispered World" on a PC XP and had nearly faultless gaming. A couple times there was some flickering of Sadwick or his pet Spot, but it wasn't bad. Maybe three times the screen went black and then back to my desktop. All I had to do, however, was double-click on the game icon, and when the main menu came up, clicked on Continue Game. It started exactly where it left off.

If I could have one wish on improving the game, it would be the addition of double-clicking to speed up the character's walking through the scene or for accessing the next screen. But there's no really long-drawn out walking scenes, so it wasn't bad.

Happy Reader
review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 14, 2014
The game is beautiful, and well voice-acted, if not plagued by occasionally strange grammar (it is a German production, so perhaps this is due to less than stellar voice-direction?). A major problem though is very noticeable in this edition: very choppy video playback-every cut scene stutters along painfully due to a problem, evidently, with the engine the game runs on.

Be advised, that although this is a deal, and the chance to buy a physical copy of the game, there is now a "Director's Cut" available exclusively as a download. After contacting the game's developer (through an untranslated German website no less) I was informed that only those who originally purchased the game through Steam, GOG or other download service were eligible for the otherwise free upgrade.

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, which I find bizarre and unfair. Perhaps we are simply meant to be happy that anyone makes games like this at all anymore.
on September 6, 2017
The game was easy to install. Once I installed it, I played it everyday for 3 days straight. The art style is unique and the story is great. Really enjoyed this game.
on April 17, 2011
This is my first review on amazon and i decided to make it because of how much I liked this game. I just finished the game today and i have to say it was a great experience. The graphics are wonderful and the story is amazing. Some people I saw complain in their reviews that the main character's voice is annoying, but I dont think this is the case. In fact its kind of lovable. The music also was nice.

One small downside of the game is that a lot of the puzzles are outside the realm of basic intuition. Solving these particular puzzles for most people would be by accident and not by smarts. I'm willing to overlook this though for the sake of the review.

Another thing that I would mention here is that many of the objects on the screens during gameplay are hard to spot, so in order to get through the game you have to pay real close attention to the different screens.

The main downside I experienced with this game are technical difficulties. One of my computers it didnt work on and on the others it would crash before the game even started by going back to windows. I managed to get through this by pressing escape through the logo videos in order to get to the gameplay. Also the intro/ending/between game play videos would by excruciatingly slow and would stutter, but this didnt detract from the gameplay. It also once stopped in middle of the game while switching from screen to screen, but i managed to get through this again by pressing escape.

I was about to give this game 4 stars instead of 5 because of the technical difficulties i experienced while playing, but after i saw the ending to the game (which was astonishing) i decided to give the game 5 stars.

If youre thinking about getting this game, i suggest you do. It was well worth the little money I spent on it and if i knew it would have been as good as i found out I would have spent more.
on May 12, 2011
I have had a 'point-and-click' adventure game itch for ages and I had found nothing that really satisfied it - or I couldn't find any 'point-and-click' game at all, that I hadn't already played and finished a thousand times. Then I stumbled onto this game, and I jumped all over it. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

The game-play was very familiar, reminiscent of the old LucasArts adventure games back in the 90's. As far as the dialogue in the game, the sometimes gloomy humor surprised me off and on and often I found myself laughing out loud at Sadwick's bleak outlook on life.

When I bought the game, the price was down to $3.54, so it was a great value, worth every last penny. I would definitely buy it again if I lost my copy. Highly recommended.
on April 25, 2017
Amazing game. Beautiful backgrounds. Great story. Just a few glitches including occasional character animations missing where they will disappear, but fixes on reset of game. Otherwise, this is one of my favorite point and click adventures, up there with Monkey Island and Longest Journey.
on April 5, 2011
this is the kind of game i enjoy , I actually found the protaganost intreasting and likible , the voice acting is not bad either,
though I would not recemend this for some people they might find it ... depressive , but for me i like that type of story , this is not the happiest of games , it is subtle and the story is something you will certainly get in to. though it would be nice if it could change the voices to German with english subtitles , but i still really enjoyed the voices of both english and german, Sadwick's voice has rightfully so a melancholic voice tone which both english and german seemed to fit quite well. a lovly experience , but you might get a bittersweet ending since it's so good(I'm talking about the demo) , highly recommended by me.

this is a great game with a good price please , please , buy

just caution that it might make you feel melancholy

I hope to see more from Marco Hüllen
on January 8, 2016
This story definitely has a twist to it
on January 8, 2015
The graphics are beautiful and the voice acting is superb, story so far is very good also.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question