Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 81 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 93 reviews
on August 16, 2011
This was my first projector and I did alot of research before buying it. It met a most of the requirements in terms of picture quality and brightness etc. Everything was ok for three months... then the pixels started dying, (which means there were dark and light spots all over the screen) within one week we had close to 30 dead pixels spread across the screen. The Amazon 30 day warranty had expired so we contacted Vivitek and that was where the real disappointment came. They never answer their telephone!!!!! They don't return messages!!!! They don't answer e mails!!!! There was no way to get a human being at this company....and I really tried. Their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered and will never buy anything marked Vivitek again. I contacted Amazon about this and they are giving me a refund so I'm buying an Epson this time. Adios Vivitek!
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2017
I've only been able to watch a couple of movies on this projector since I got it and, so far, it's exceeded my all expectations. My only mistake was not to read all the specs beforehand. The manual focus is a bit of a pain but if you think about it, once it's set up, how many times do you have to go back and readjust the focus. I give it five stars not only for the afordability but also because now I can watch a movie in my projector in plain daylight without a probem whatsoever.
on August 24, 2010
Great product! Owned this for 2 days now and love it! Got my Xbox 360, Wii, and computer all hooked up to this baby and am not looking back.

There is definatly a downside which I have mostly remedied, however, most people will not be able to. The thing is that this projector has NO AUDIO OUTPUT. Which is weird considering it has HDMI and such. This means if you connect something with the HDMI, you are stuck using the build in speaker for audio. Bummer. Also, if you connect using the y/r/w cables you are also stuck using the internal speaker, but if you have a stereo like I do, connect it to the stereo and run it to the projector. Not that the internal speaker sounds bad, it actually sounds great, but it's just not the best while watching home movies or gaming.

Great picture quality and projects and image of about 5 1/2' x 7'. Actually is slightly bigger, but roughly that size. I'm very happy with my projector.

UPDATE LOST ONE STAR*- Projector did not work today, first time since I bought it (6 monthsish). Ive mostly used it on economy setting. I hear a rattling like broken pieces of something, and after disassembling it, there might be a big problem. Projector wasn't dropped, hit or anything, it sits far above and out of reach. I now have to hopefully find a resolution, either something exploded inside, or bulb burst. Im 50/50 on which it is right now. Ill update ASAP

UPDATE TO UPDATE-5TH STAR RETURNED- So the reason is my bulb had exploded. First I was upset and believed it to be an equipment issue, but after realizing the extension cord I run this from was unplugged, I put 2 and 2 together. Cord unplugged while running (even in low power mode) will cause the bulb to not cool down while being around the already cool surroundings = BOOM goes the dynamite (bulb). So this was my bad (or another occupant), and not the projector. I'd give it 5 1/2 stars now for doubting it. Ha ha, enjoy and don't accidentally unplug this!!!!
2121 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2012
Okay so I received this projector about a month ago. I was looking for an inexpensive projector and did a good amount of research before settling with the Vivitek d510. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my choice but the projector does have some slight drawbacks. #1) no audio output (but can be easily remedied) #2) projector throws image fairly upward, so if you plan on placing it on a table or wall shelf, you're either going to have to angle it down and use the keystone, or have the projector low to the ground. It's only been a month so i cant vouch for its longevity, but most of the reviews seem to suggest it lasts okay. The only other projector I would consider at this price is the Viewsonic PJD 5133, which might be a slightly better buy for the buck. As for the positives for the d510, the image for the price is outstanding in my opinion. As many people have said before, it is still a good picture with ambient light. I have it on a white wall about 18-19 feet away and it projects an awesome +120" image. I use it primarily for TV and gaming, and the channels in HD are awesome. Bought a cheap blu-ray player and the image gets even better. Carrying case is dinky but better than nothing.
on September 17, 2012
I teach in college. This is my fourth projector over time and clearly the worst that I have encountered:
Pro's
* It was relatively cheap
* The picture was bright and the colors were sharp
* It has an HDMI port which is a nice improvement from fragile SVGA connectors
Con's
* It is a bulky projector and is not easily portable
* It throws off a great deal of heat and gets very hot quickly; open a window or door when in extended use
* The lamp burned out within 10 months. No warning/no dimming/just dead
* The replacement lamp (just the bulb) is more than 50% of the projector cost
* When replacing the lamp, buy the whole lamp unit and not just the bulb as you must take the lamp unit apart to get to the lamp itself. This unit process involves removing many Phillips head screws that are less than 1/32 is size. However, buying the whole lamp is very expensive. The replacement lamp that is listed on Amazon from a third party is only the lamp, not the entire lamp unit.
* When I erroneously ordered a replacement lamp, I spent hours getting at and removing the lamp unit. At the end, I noticed that the replacement lamp bulb lacked the correct connectors and I had to return it. When I returned the bulb, the third party supplier told me that I should have purchased the whole unit and they cannot control what is listed in Amazon.
* Access to the lamp housing is on the bottom of the projector. Vivitek cleverly covers the screw that holds the door to the lamp housing with a decal. I nearly took the projector apart before I realized that a recessed screw was covered by their decal.

In short, the engineering on this projector leaves a lot to be desired. Look elsewhere and check the price of the replacement lamp unit before you buy.
on April 25, 2011
My husband and I reviewed A LOT of projectors before purchasing this one. We were looking for a projector that would be good for home use, watching movies and playing video games. This one was rated in several different sources as being in the top ten projectors for our needs. It was rated as high as number 3 of 10 in two forums, number 1 being waaay out of our price range:) The graphics are really great and there is nothing lost in transmission from our older dvd player, our wii, or our ps3. The only complaint I have is the sound, it has one small speaker, and ours did not work about 30 minutes after arrival while we were trying it out. Since this item was needed for my daughters party the next day, (playing Just Dance on the Wii with too many teenage girls!) we did not want to take the time to return it and wait for a replacement. I got a cord from Best Buy and my spouse hooked it up to play thru my old stereo, IT WAS GREAT! The sound was much better than the one dinky speaker could have produced, esp for a dance game, and the projector was IMPRESSIVE! We used half a wall for the projection, and since the paint was a much higher gloss than we realized, we covered it with a matte white plastic tablecloth, perfect! Even in full room light, the picture was still pretty great and did not wash out excessively. We watched several movies on it, both live action and animated, the picture and color reproduction was very good, and we have tried several rpg games, some of which are darkly colored, and they looked great, the detail was spectacular. Great item, great price, I highly recommend it!
on January 20, 2011
This is not a bad little projector for the price. I purchased the projector with the intent of using it to watch Blu-ray movies, HDTV, and gaming. The picture quality via the HDMI input connection for Blu-ray player and HD cable converter box is very good - not plasma, but very good for the price. Sadly there is only one HDMI input so you need to switch the connection between blu-ray and tv or buy a switch. We have play station 2 and a nintendo wii, sadly the picture is sub par via the composite video input. I'm guessing if you have play station 3 the picture quality would be much better as it has an HDMI connection. The speaker is terrible, but if your intention is for a theatre setup then you can bypass with a nice surround sound system. It's very easy to setup and use. So far I'm happy with the projector considering I was on a low budget and I run into no problems over the next two years. If you're looking for a plasma like picture then you may want to invest in a higher price model. If you have a Blu-ray player, HDTV cable box, and surround sound system then you should be happy with this projector. I converted one room into a theatre room with a screen size of about 90". You will want to consider painting all walls in your room with a flat dark colored paint (I used dark gray) and a wall for the screen (unless you decide to purchase a screen) for a better picture. They do make speciality paints for the screen but they're very pricey - $150 a gallon, but check out this web site for a do-it-yourself mixture [...]
on February 12, 2011
After reading a lot of reviews, I bought this projector to use for various presentations and workshops that I give through my work. I had been depending on a very old projector that was donated to our organization, or I would use the projectors in the conference rooms of the organizations I'd visit.

The projector is very bright, clear, and easy to use. It's very lightweight too. I don't know if this is a standard thing for projectors, but I was thrilled to find that it has a screw mount on the bottom that I could use with a camera tripod, so I don't have to worry about finding a table that's the right height or distance.

We've set it up once at home for a party too, and it projected well and was a big hit. I specifically bought it because it has the HDMI connections, thinking that it might be nice to use it for home theater as well as for work, though I haven't had the chance to try it out. My understanding is that you have to have another connection for sound.

I bought it along with a portable screen, and a USB remote clicker for PowerPoint, which is very nice. I work in human services, where you don't always see a lot of nice presentations, and so far I've been getting a lot of compliments. I feel really great walking into a new organization with this as part of my set up.

I'm very pleased with the projector and hope this review helps others determine if this the right machine for you.
on February 26, 2011
First, let me explain my set up. I purchased this projector for the great room in my new home, which I moved into in December 2010. I have it ceiling mounted and had an HDMI and power supply built into the ceiling, so I wouldn't have any wires hanging down. I use the projector for DirecTV (HD), Blu Ray movies, my karaoke player, and my Wii. I have two HDMI switches, which allow me to go back and forth between the projector and my Samsung plasma TV. I am using this projector with a ceiling-mounted, 80-inch screen (also purchased via Amazon).

While I do not use the projector as my primary TV, I do use it when I have company over or want to watch a movie. It could easily be one's primary television, but the picture isn't as clear as that on my plasma TV. Obviously, the picture is better at night than during the day, but it's bright enough that it can be used during the day. I had a Super Bowl party (the game started at 4:30 here), and everybody commented on how cool it was to watch the game on the projector. I didn't get any complaints about the picture.

I initially thought the projector could project up to 300 inches. I'm not sure where I got that. It's possible I got confused due to the tons of projectors I was researching at one time. There is no way (that I've found) to increase the picture size. It's about 80 inches; it fills up my 80-inch projector screen just fine.

The audio hasn't been a problem for me. I have ceiling-mounted speakers as part of my home theater system, so I wouldn't have any need to use the unit's built-in speaker.

Overall I'm happy with the projector. I may move it into my bedroom and upgrade to something with a higher resolution that's a little bit brighter, but for the price this was a great deal. I have the coolest home theater setup on my block, and my friends love to come over for movie and karaoke nights. What more could I ask for?
on January 25, 2011
OMG!!!! That is all I can say! This is the best projector I have EVER used! I am a teacher and where I teach, they use the Epilson. It is a great projector but very pricely. I had read all of the other reviews because I was skepitical about buying a product without uing a demonstration. This projector is not only AFFORDABLE but is great! I laugh at the comment that said if you don't like high quality brightness (or something like that)this isn't for you. Well he is right! This projector is so bright and colorful that you can watch it with the lights on. It just need minor adjustments. I am soooooo glad I did not purchase a flat screen television or a big screen television. It is such a waste of money. I still have mine from 10 years ago that still works great. I don't use it now. I connected the Vivitek to my cable wires and watch cable tv, it is connected to my DVD player for movies, and I highly recommend it for the new Xbox Kinect usage!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
The only problem is.....it gets hot and the fan can be loud for a short period of time. If you have the stereo surround system, then don't worry, the volume will override the noise. THAT IS IT!!! Buy it and enjoy it!

2013
THIS AWESOME PROJECTOR STILL WORKS!!! A MUST BUY

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.