Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 408 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 519 reviews
on February 15, 2013
First of all, there's already been enough positive reviews that cite the strengths of this tablet. And with the 5 stars I am giving this tablet, you can guess that I am happy with this tablet. So, this review is more a response to people's criticisms of the tablet.

Before I continue, here is a list of tablets that I have owned. This list is to show that I know what to look for in a tablet.

Ipads 1 and 2
Acer Iconia
Viewsonic Gtablet
Samsung Galaxy tab 1 and 2
Augen Gentouch
Amazon Fire
Asus TF101, SL101, TF201, TF700T, and TF600T

So, as you can see I am well aware of what to look for in a tablet. I have not touched my laptop for nearly two years because the TF700 has fulfilled my work needs while on the go. I bought the TF600 (vivotab rt) with the intention of replacing my TF700.

So, here are some complaints that I've seen about the vivotab and why I think the complaints are not legit.

(1) Keyboard is too small to type.

Of all the complaints about this tablet, I think this is the most bogus. Yes, it is small, but if you can't type on anything that is slightly smaller than the full size desktop keyboard, then don't get a 10 inch device. The keyboard is 97% the size of a full size keyboard, so it's not that much smaller. I am typing full speed on this keyboard, and I have fairly large hands. I've not noticed any discomfort at all. If you find yourself unable to type full speed with a keyboard it that is 97% the size of a regular keyboard, then just get a full size laptop.

(2) The trackpad is too sensitive, making it too easy to accidentally touch and change the place of the typing cursor.

It took me a whole 5 seconds (if that) to find a way to disable the trackpad. Hint: fn+f9.

(3) The screen is not HD enough.

First of all, this is a full HD screen. It's not as high def as the asus infinity or the ipad 3, but it is plenty clear. You will only notice a difference between this screen and the infinity or the ipad 3 if you put your face up against the screen and try to look for the pixels. The screen is more than capable to play 1080p movies.

(4) Windows rt does not have enough apps.

As it stands, windows rt has about 5,000 apps. When iOS first launched, apple's appstore had 0 apps. When Android first launched, it had 700 apps. Windows rt launched with 5,000 apps.

As you go through the apps, you will notice that many of the apps (games) you love are not on the windows rt app store. I agree that this is a drawback. More on this at the end of this review.

(5) Windows rt interface is too hard to adapt to.

I don't understand what's so hard about the UI in windows 8/rt? Swipe from the right to get options like search, menu, control, start, etc. Swipe from the left to get the previous app or to dock the previous app and get split screen. Swipe from the bottom or top to get app specific menu and options. That's it. For me, there was no learning curve at all. And I'm a civil engineer, not some tech wiz.

(6) Speakers are in the back.

Where else would they be? This is a very thin device. Thinner than any ipad. Thinner than anything else on the market. If you have a device this thin, the speakers would either be in the front or the back. The front is out of the question. There's nothing there but glass. For those complaining about this, you should get an ipad. Oh wait, the ipad's speaker (singular, no stereo) is in the back as well. If you think you can come up with a better design, why don't you build us the perfect tablet with better positioned speakers?

(7) The device feels cheap.

How? The casing is made of brushed aluminum. The whole tablet is one piece of aluminum connected to rubberized plastic and glass. How is this cheap? To me, it looks and feels very solid and very well designed and assembled. It also is the thinnest device on the market. How is this cheap?

(8) The plastic strip is too big and has no purpose.

Yes, the rubberized plastic strip on top of the back of the device has a purpose. Asus redesigned the docking clams to make it possible for us to undock the tablet while the netbook form is still closed. You couldn't do this in any other transformer series device. The rubberized plastic strip is there to make it easier for us to reach into our bag and just undock and pull out the tablet. To me, this redesign is godsend. For my job, I travel a lot and use my tablet to write up reports. I have to regularly pull out my tablet to pull up a digitized document or manual to survey the area job sites. If you don't like how it looked, just buy a skinomi techskin and put it over the back of your tablet.

************************************************************************************

Now, here are some strengths that I've found about the tablet compared to the previous model the TF700. The whole setup feels a lot more solid. I can't really describe it well in words. You just have to put your hands on one to know what I mean. Asus engineers have also solved the balancing issue. In the TF101, TF201, Tf300, and TF700, the netbook form had a balancing issue. The tablet portion was a bit heavier than the docking station so that if you put a little pressure on the screen the whole setup would fall backward. I'm sure you've seen this in video reviews of previous models.

In the TF600, asus engineers have redistributed the weights toward the joints in the middle making the whole netbook form a lot more stable. You can now push all you want on the screen and it would not fall backward. In fact, you could hold the setup up to 45 degrees backward and release and the tablet would still fall forward and stand straight up.

Now, going back to the windows rt weakness, which is the number of apps. Yes, I agree that there are only 5,000 apps right now versus 700,000+ apps in the android market. Think about the following.

(1) How many apps do you have installed on your current device? Do you have 5,000 apps installed?

(2) Have you ever been taught that quality is more valuable than quantity?

The windows 8/rt is a new ecosystem. It will undoubtedly get more apps just like how android started out with 700 apps and now there are hundreds of thousands of apps. But here's the thing. Both the iOS and android ecosystems are now supersaturated with crap apps. It really amazes me how many useless apps there are in there. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm saying just looking at the numbers alone is deceptive.

Windows RT is a full operating system. It is the smoothest and best experience you will ever have on a tablet UI. Compared to the ipad and the TF700, the vivotab rt feels so much faster and much more satisfying. When you do a swipe with your finger on the ipad and the asus infinity, there is always a slight delay that everyone's gotten used to. The vivotab rt, on the other hand, has no delay. It is an amazing experience to see the screen following your finger with no delay at all. You just have to play with one to feel the difference. Don't take my word for it. Go to the local best buy or staples and play around with the display unit. You will see what I mean.

After having used my new vivotab RT, I've been unable to go back to my asus infinity. Even my ipad feels slow and sluggish compared to the vivotab RT. Again, don't take my word for it. Get your hands on these tablets and compare them for yourself. You'll see what I mean.

Don't worry about the number of apps and the app choices. They are increasing by the minute. I've already noticed a lot of app choices this week that I didn't see last month. App developers are racing to put their apps in the Microsoft app store.

In short, the iOS and android are built with only gaming experience in mind. You'd be hard pressed to create and be productive with those OSes. And most tech reviewers would agree with me on that. Windows RT is made with both gaming and productivity in mind. The split screen alone on the vivotab RT makes my job so much better than before. And with battery life that lasts the whole day, I can go through the whole day without having to think about plugging in my device.

For the doubters, just get your hands on one and try it out. You won't regret it. Trust me.
1010 comments| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2012
I bought the Asus Vivo tab with a lot of research deciding whether I should wait for a windows 8 pro version to come out by Asus or Microsoft. However, it seems all those products will have a price range of 800+. I began thinking about the difference between RT and windows 8 and windows 8 wad not going to do much extra. All I needed was RT.

Buying the Vivo tab as a replacement to have a tablet and also being able to bring it to take notes during class instead of my HP DV7 17.3 huge laptop works perfectly. The multitask of the vivo tab is amazing! I can have word opened up and search the web to research for the paper I'm writing for. I can take pictures with one side of the screen while emailing and attaching that picture to send at the same time. I have had no experience with lag, or shut downs and the battery life is the best I ever seen compared to my laptop, smartphone, or the tablets I've seen. The vivo tab does everything I need it to.

You don't need all these apps because you can go to facebook and Twitter using the web browser. Sure there's not as much games as google or apple but you buy a windows tablet to work, take notes, and in addition have an app store that still has games like angry birds and jetpack joyride that you can kill time sometimes or let your kids play. People now associate tablets with just as surfing the web, playing games, and social networks when your computer does all that without having to.buy anything extra. You buy the vivo tab to have a replacement laptop for surfing the web, emailing, distracting yourself or your kids with games, or Microsoft office on the go. The Vivo tab has a beautiful screen, and a responsive touchscreen with enough power to multitask and do what you need to it.

I do not work for Asus or Microsoft and writing my first Amazon review because I have not been this happy with a purchase in such a long time.

I wish that Microsoft spends those "billions" of dollars advertising what windows RT can really do for people rather than dumb commercials that show nothing.

UPDATE: I have received the keyboard dock about 10 days after I registered my product. It says still processing in the website but the keyboard got mailed home. The keyboard works great. Now I'm able to actually use this during class. People say the buttons are too small but they work fine for me and I have an 18 year old man with hands that aren't growing anymore. The track pad is really responsive with gestures that help a lot. Although there is no pinch zoon on the track pad yet, hopefully they will update that. Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase.
on May 25, 2013
UPDATE: changed my review to one star. I got another VivoTab RT, same problem. Turns out that if there is any kind of case that has a tiny magnet that activates the wake/sleep feature there are all kinds of problems. A quick Google search backs this up. ASUS customer relations have tried to be very helpful but in the end could only advise not to use a case that does auto wake/sleep. Why have that capability if it makes the tablet unstable? The final straw was a stuck pixel. I have FIVE other tablets from various vendors. I haven't had crashes or stuck pixels on any of them, although my nexus 7 coincidentally by ASUS also has quality issues. Another problem area is auto brightness. While it works well on all of my non ASUS tablets it is jarring on ASUS tablets and has to be disabled.

There are just too many issues with this tablet to justify keeping it. I'll be significantly out of pocket with the accessories I have purchased that can't be returned.

Having a case cause crashes is completely unacceptable. This device should never have been put on the market. It's not like this is a cheap tablet, such low quality is inexcusable.

That said, top marks for effort for the ASUS rep who has tried to help out.

Reluctantly, I'll be switching to a Microsoft Surface RT.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I'm giving this a 2 star review purely due to device quality, not functionality. I am returning this device, haven't even waited for the refund before purchasing another. I ordered another without much hesitation. So what's wrong with the device and why did I still order another one? Keep reading to the end for why I would give it a five star review if not for the hardware problem.

I firmly believe that the problems I encountered are due to faulty hardware and not due to Windows RT.

Basically, when I don't have a micro sd inserted the device is rock solid. When I have a micro sd installed and open the case to wake up the device I get frequent device restarts and memory dumps. No micro sd card inserted no problem. I'll admit that after having 2 poor quality nexus 7 tablets I'm very wary of asus QC but the vivo tab RT will be awesome if the replacement doesn't have the sd card issue.

Even with random crashes resulting in device reboots I have still not used my android tablet or iPad 3 since getting this. To my surprise I really like Windows RT. I had bought this purely so I could do some app development and test on a tablet, not to replace my iPad but found the device a joy to use.

The start screen; The live tiles are awesome. I love the live widgets on android and this is more of the same. It is very easy to navigate, have the information that I need at my fingertips and be productive quickly.

Having office including onenote on a device with awesome battery life. As much as I like evernote and can make do with other word processors there's nothing quite like having office and onenote wherever I go.

I never thought I would ever say this but having Internet Explorer is great compared to the browsers on android and IOS. PArtly because RT is a more controlled platform and I don't have the security concerns that I would otherwise have using IE on the desktop, which I simply don't do. That said, on Windows RT browsing the web is awesome, things just work.

The VivoTab RT itself has a decent screen, just be sure to turn off auto brightness, just as with the Nexus 7 the auto brightness on this device is jarring, much worse than non asus devices I have used. The tablet is light weight and the battery life is good. Add to that a micro sd slot (assuming on the replacement it doesn't crash my device when used) and the micro hdmi this device has decent IO capabilities. Add to that the keyboard dock and you have an awesome machine.

The device itself is lighter than the Microsoft Surface and I prefer how it feels in the hand. The dock was really the killer feature when compared to the Surface. Having a real keyboard and 14+ hours battery life means that this device is so much more than a tablet.

I did install a couple of games on the tablet, the graphics are amazing, but performance takes a hit due to the relatively low spec of the device compared to a Surface Pro or traditional laptop or desktop running Windows 8.

I look forward to writing a five star review should the replacement not have any hardware problems.
on January 4, 2013
When I asked my Mom if she wanted a refresh of her iPad for Christmas she said, "refresh yes, another iPad not so much". We looked at all the new tablets and she picked this Asus Vivo Tab. I played with it for about a week before Christmas so I would be able to help her with any problems, (she is 75) and was totally impressed with the build quality and design--I would go as far as saying they are outperforming Apple here which is obviously not easy to do. The design and build quality are that good.

The removable tablet/keyboard dock form factor is spot on IMO. The tablet was fairly easy to attach and remove from the base, it feels a little awkward at first as you get used to it. It vibrates and plays a chime tone when you have attached it correctly which helps. It takes both hands to dock/detach which is fine with me as when it is attached it really feels attached--I only mention it because it is not as effortless as the cute little magnetic click covers. Over our Christmas visit, (4 days) I noticed my Mom tended to just keep it attached to the keyboard dock so I mentioned and demonstrated several times that the tablet could be removed--she finally just told me she actually preferred it with the base attached for most uses as it "held itself up perfectly". I think she felt more secure being able to set it on her lap or the table and even preferred holding it by the base as it felt "safer". I was able to type pretty well on the chicklet style keyboard even though I have quite long fingers. I could match the 20-30 wpm I type at on my desktop keyboard without any problem. My wife who has very small hands but can type at 80-100 wpm took to it instantly. Tactile feedback for key presses felt very good to me. Key layout and spacing is well thought out. My only complaint would be the lack of back lighting--something I tend to like. Not a deal breaker by any stretch as the keyboard is obviously pretty close to the screen and it does cast some light on it. Touch typists won't care at all of course.

The screen is great with excellent brightness/contrast/viewing angles etc. I did not see any ghosting or artifacts so refresh rates are good. No pixelation in movies during action sequences and explosions and playback was smooth as butter.

I forgot to check the NFC "tap to share". Sorry.

The gyroscopes and accelerometer seemed to work fine in the few games I tried. The screen oriented pretty rapidly when rotated. The closer it was to "upright" the faster it seemed to register--as with all tablets.

Sound was better than any other tablet I have used but still lacks enough volume for all uses IMO. Headphones and my Nu Force UDAC 2 sounded excellent.

The wireless NIC was great. I got 4 of 5 bars out on the front porch, about 30 feet from a typical Link-Sys home router, and her house has a brick exterior. Anywhere inside I usually had 5 of 5 bars.

I really liked the Windows 8 live tile Touch UI --Metro or w/e they are calling it now. I also found the "desktop" portion of RT to be quite usable, especially with the touch pad and pointer on the dock. It was usable (but just barely) with a finger. I would miss the button I was aiming for about 40% - 50% of the time. My Mom already uses a stylus on her iPad so I was able to try one in the windows/desktop environment and it makes it a LOT more usable. The included office apps were all excellent. Being able to use files and folders was also very useful/comfortable for me, especially with either a stylus or the track pad and cursor. The track pad seemed fine to me but to be candid I detest them and am NOT a laptop person, so it could be awesome or horrible compared to other products and I would not know. My Mom uses a lap top and liked the track pad, as did my wife who also uses a laptop. I tried my Logitech Performance MX mouse with it's tiny little USB RX and it was detected and worked fine. I also tried various USB memory sticks and my Galaxy S2 phone and all were auto detected and worked without issue.

Windows joined my Moms home network without any problems and adding a printer was going fine...right up until we got to the HP drivers list and her laser printer model was not listed. To be fair to HP the printer is older than dirt and my Pops has to run Windows XP on all their machines because he can't find printer drivers. The drivers list had a LOT of printers so I doubt most people will have a problem. When I was "testing" the Vivo Tab RT at home the week before Christmas I was able to print to my Canon color printer which is about 5 years old, and the Wife's HP 3 in 1 Photo Smart.

The Windows 8 App market is not as filled out as Apple's or Androids--not sure what she will do without 50,000 Baby Shaker and Fart Apps--but she had all her Board Games and Bottle Cap type games loaded in about an hour. Think Yahtzi, (SP?) Bejewled, MahJong etc. She also had her Cook Book program and Kindle App and all her Solitaire games. The news paper and magazine selection seemed pretty good to me. She liked the FaceBook and Skype Apps. Her Yahoo email worked fine and the live tiles are actually kind of useful/cool. The mult-tasking is functional...not so sure about the way they split rhe dual view as a third of the screen...though everything seemed to re-size itself correctly when it was in the "little half" of the screen.

To sum it up for Windows 8 RT: I really like the Metro touch UI a lot, (can't wait to get a windows 8 phone in fact) and the more traditional desktop portion of the OS is quite familiar and usable with either a wireless mouse, the track pad, or a stylus. Not so much with a "clunky" finger. My only complaint would not be with either environment, but the clunky way Microsoft dumps you from one to the other. The duplicate programs like IE for example. There is a Touch version and a "windows" version. They may have done that for people who are going to spend a lot of time in one or the other I guess, meaning if I was "plugged into windows" and had a mouse running and was working in office the windows version of IE might be more useful then the times I was on the couch just tooling around the web. I could use this OS as is right now without too much trouble and be very productive (and happy). I think it feels about 80% polished and I feel comfortable that future versions will cover that last 20% pretty quickly. I also think that the App store will fill out pretty rapidly for those needing more specialized apps like medical charting, pilots, engineers etc.

I took advantage of the free dock deal Asus was running and I have to say that their customer interaction is not great by any stretch. The online form I had to fill out was pretty clunky and I could not get logged into my "VIP" account. Getting any information from their FAQ and forums was a waste of time and getting a person on the phone took a while. Once I did get a person, (who surprisingly spoke English) they were competent and got me squared away pretty quickly. Asus makes exceptionally good products in my experience, but their PR, and customer support still have a ways to go. I got the Dock 15 calendar days after I filled out the online form which seems reasonable for a rebate type "free" item.

The hardware from Asus is just flat out WONDERFUL and I am very satisfied with this purchase. I will be buying their Transformer Book in 14" or 15" the minute it is available. Running pure windows programs (with a wireless mouse or stylus) on a beautiful ultrabook/tablet sounds great to me!
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon February 28, 2013
Working in IT, it's my responsibility to test & try the various technologies that may impact how we do business and what products we offer to employees or support. I've owned many an iPad, Android Tablet and even the HP WebOS tablet and the Kindle Fires (all of them... :x ). So far, I haven't found a ton of business use for the tablets other than email, or for a professional to keep in contact with home and entertain himself/herself while on the go. Every time the conclusion is that something like an Ultrabook is more useful with a full keyboard.

That is-- until this tablet. I don't know that it's the saviour, but it has promise, and I'll outline why (and why not) below.

I personally use an iPhone full time for work, I have an Android personally for learning and haven't found a really useful tablet for business until this one. The way the UI is designed in RT really lends itself to streamlined simplicity, email and web use. The fact that it's windows under the hood makes for easy use of "corporate" things like ODBC connections and other things that have historically held tablets back from being useful "within the business confines" as well as while traveling. Most other tablets are useful for business people who travel or for uses outside of the corporate confines only. This one is a little different.

About the Hardware:

I'm extremely impressed with the hardware. Weight to size balance is perfect. Not too heavy nor cheap-feeling. Thin, solid feeling but svelte, good battery life and a bright screen to start with... The aspect ratio is wider than the other tablets in this space but feels good. It never feels warm and just has a good feeling to it, unlike the Nexus 7 which feels too thick for its britches, iPad which can feel a little too heavy for its britches. The charging cable is not a standard micro-USB, but is acceptable. It's the same high quality stuff I've seen coming out of ASUS lately. The only downside I've detected is the over-advertising that seems to come with Windows based things-- ASUS on the back, Microsoft stickers, etc. Remedied pretty easily with a few moments of peeling.

About Windows RT:

I first noticed the downsides like finding the MAC address of the tablet so I could authorize it on my wireless Access Point. All other tablets of the world make MAC address easily available in the section similar to "about device". In Windows RT I had to open a command prompt and do the classic "ipconfig /all" to find it! When I realized this, I felt like someone had really failed their job. Or as Steve liked to say, _They blew it._ I gave some patience and afterward found myself really exploring the OS and coming to enjoy it.

Settings are contextual when in tablet/Metro mode (large tiled screen of squares) and this is very helpful: If you're at the home screen, a right swipe brings you settings, like wireless. If you're in mail, it brings up mail account settings. If you're in browser, it brings up browser settings. But it's important to realize that the Metro mode tablet UI has an underdpinning of Windows 8-- you can exit this tablet mode and revert to what looks very similar to Windows with a desktop and a start bar-- limited and some things missing.

Any time you swipe from the left it's like the rotating task manager-- what did I do last? it comes up. Before that? Another swipe brings that up, continually.

So if I had to summarize the usability differences in Android and IOS compared to this: This has a lot more use of all 4 sides of the screen for contextual swipes bringing up settings and actions where Android uses top for notifications and bottom for Google Now, and iOS only uses top for notifications.

This device comes pre-loaded with Office preview, which works fine and looks very typically classic office. In the age where my company has gone Google for mail and a lot of collaboration this is still useful when dealing with files from outside the company but not the killer app it once was. From an app store perspective, a lot of the huge expected apps are there for entertainment-- Hulu, Netflix, etc., but the browser seems extremely capable and accurate in rendering.

A thing I noticed that made me go "hmmm" was the fact that Windows Update works just the same on this tablet... individual updates download, apply, reboots are required.... as opposed to big update packages that hit Android and iOS. Familiar for some, annoying for others.

So who is this tablet for? I have to say that it's more for employees who need to work on company business but also may like to still keep access to entertainment and personal contact information while on the go. From the perspective of someone who is bored with iOS and Android, I found this an interesting useful and enjoyable OS and tablet. I expected to have a 'meh' response, but found myself with a real, 'hmm!' to 'ah!" response.

If you're someone who evaluates hardware or just likes to stay in the know this is certainly worth your time in exploring, especially if you have only read about and never personally experienced Windows RT. If I had to make a key observation about this tablet compared to iPads or Androids, they put personal and entertainment first with a little bit of business, and this one puts business first with a little bit of personal.

I rated this 4 stars instead of 5 because there are still some weird things that need worked out between deeper settings of Windows requiring you to go into the classic windows mode. They're 90% there in having most needed things in Metro mode, but a few more things that I feel should be finished up.
on October 31, 2013
This tablet will not run 1/2 of my programs and Apps. It is not secure even when completely stowed in the Keyboard dock because my glass cracked. When I requested information as to why apps did not work I was told Microsoft was working on the problems. Why did ASUS market a tablet that would not properly work APPS? Or why did they not warn buyers about the problem first? I sent my Tablet for repair, three weeks later the only information I can get through the web site, chat on line and Calling customer service, is that it is in repair. I have been promised more information by email for 4 days but nothing has happened. Today I finally called and demanded that they return my tablet. After much harranging and demanding they finally agreed to return it. I wonder if or when I will receive it. Stay away from ASUS!!!!
Jack Rebman
on March 27, 2016
this is a biased review. I must be a total Android person. I can't connect to facebook without using Internet Explorer (I have security controls that require a code to get in). You can't download google chrome or firefox. IE doesn't keep you logged in to Facebook so I have to log in every time and use my phone to get the security code. It seems very slow when opening things or doing everything.
I'm very disappointed in the product.
Now that I've had the tablet for a while my review has gone down in stars. This is the slowest tablet I've ever came across. It's even slower than my ancient 1996 gateway computer and my old IPad 1st generation. It freezes, drags, and takes forever to boot up AND battery life is very poor. This has become a pricey paperweight. Also note I've not installed anything new on this device and since the very beginning it is SLOW!! ASUS stick to computers and stay away from tablets.
on October 27, 2012
The moderate reviews this tablet has received from tech websites do not do it justice. They say the downfall is it doesn't have that many apps. Well, Apple released with 300, Android with 700, and this with 3,000. Give it a few weeks and it will have everything you need. Responsiveness, speed, load times, screen display, all of these things are great and I have no complaints. I can use remote desktop to access terminals at work, which was previously impossible on iOS / Android. Outlook allows all of my work emails to stream right in, and word / powerpoint / excel etc allow me to do my college projects and manage work documents from it. It is not a COMPLETE desktop / laptop replacement, but it is as close to it is I have ever seen. Ignore 3/5 reviews from CNET, Gizmodo, and Engadget for not having "the hundreds of thousands of apps from the competition". Jeez, give it some time, it's brand new!

Edit: By Outlook, I meant "Mail" on the start screen. You can sync outlook accounts, yahoo, gmail, etc all into one hub.
1010 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2013
But of course I won't. This tablet is great. I'm typing this review on it now without the keyboard(which I did have to purchase separately.) Found this on Amazon for a lot less than the store price!!!!(:didn't see it at Best Buy.) As a result I got the tablet, keyboard, micro HDMI cord and a cover for less than it would have cost me to just purchase the tablet in my city. I was very excited to get it. It arrives packaged very nicely yet simply. Windows RT is so very cool to use, although it has taken some getting used to, as the some of the swiping motions(closing or uninstalling an app to name a couple) are not quite as intuitive as. If you take the time to use help and tutorials you'll get it within minutes.
My main two gripes are that I purchased this because I thought it was fully flash compatible but many websites tell me that I need the latest version of flash player to run them. One way that I've gotten around this was opening things up from the internet Explorer from the desktop instead of the explorer app straight from the home screen. This was very frustrating initially because I was trying to access test study materials with video that uses flashplayer and I had a limited number of views of the material with my subscription. I used up half of them just trying to get the blasted thing to work right.

Otherwise, this tablet is proving to be more and more useful as the days go. So glad I opted for this one! As a part of a technology grant we received a few iPads to work with our kids. The iPad is very fun and there are so many more free educational and just cool apps right now since they've had a few years head start, but every time I go on the Windows store I find another cool app(including some educational) I can use and the graphics are pretty nice(just a little more simplistic animations than apple apps.) As I install more and more I'm still trying to figure out how to best organize me apps but its not too difficult to move the most frequently used app mini windows to the first area. Also, it is so awesome to be able to use MSOffice and much of the same stuff can be done on these versions that you can do on a full sized PC or laptop.
on May 22, 2013
It's fast, fluid, and has terrific battery life for all day use. I went with Windows RT because it comes with free Microsoft Office 2013, the real-deal, not imitation Google Docs, which I could never get used to and was severly limited for any real formatting. If there is a legacy Windows program that I need to run remotely that doesn't run on RT I simply use the free version of TeamViewer to connect to my home Windows 8 desktop PC and it runs smoothly over a good Internet connection. Around the house I'll use the RT tablet and connect to the desktop PC via Microsoft Remote Desktop over Wi-Fi. You can also use Remote Desktop away from your home network as long as you have a static IP address from your Internet service provider. This is rare, however, and TeamViewer works fine for remote connectivity. I also love the Bing apps, especially News app. It is very clean and easy to read with a good selection of news topics from various sources. Sports app is the same way. They are beautifully designed apps.

The Microsoft ecosystem is now very well integrated across tablet, PC, Windows Phone 8, and Xbox.
Just buy it. You won't be disappointed. I haven't used iPad but it always seemed too limited for productivity and has a boring UI by comparison. That's why I resisted jumping on the Apple bandwagon just to fit in. The iPhone, iPad, i-everything reminds me of Polo - Ralph Lauren in the 80's. Everyone had to have the logo. Apple is the new Polo shirt. As an adult, I'm over that and just want the best product for the best value and does what I need it to do for me.