Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on October 3, 2016
a very good book!
on March 6, 2016
very nice book in great condition!
on November 3, 2007
What crocheters don't need is a coffee table dictionary of stitches which is about as unwieldy as a large unabridged English dictionary. I agree with both the two previous reviewers and I have the old Vogue crochet book which has so much more but does lack the charts which this one has. However it appears that all the stitches come from Vogue knitting magazine patterns which automatically limits the selection and if so, then at least it would have been nice to have a reference to the pattern it appeared in. In this respect this 4th volume is quite similar to the first 3 on knitting stitches. Perhaps crocheters want more for their buck than the knitters did. The format is a page or more for each stitch with very large color photo of that stitch. Instructions given both by word and chart and the stitch key for the chart is right next to the chart. Stitches are grouped into a few categories: basics, geometrics, color, lace, edgings and embellishments/unusual.
The book is nicely produced and lies flat for ease in usage but is a bit overlarge for my hp printer so I can make a copy without having to use the book. Recommended for anyone who enjoys purchasing all the stitch dictionaries.
on April 7, 2015
Bought it for a friend's pattern.
on October 13, 2010
I have the previous 3 stitchionary books. This one is NO disappointment. I love it! definiteley recommend this series to serious knitters & crochet lovers.
on November 2, 2007
I ordered this book in advance of publication, having long appreciated the wonderful 1980s edition (Vogue Dictionary of Crochet Stitches; Anne Matthews). I was expecting an updated and expanded book, but this edition is expanded only in size and color quality. There are far, far fewer stitches, and too many pages wasted on simple motifs and granny squares.
-- The 1980s edition gives complete patterns for pictured garments, but the new book does NOT. (Don't worry about the photos in the old book: most of the garments are much less dated than the models and photography.)
-- The 1980s edition is a treasure quite apart from the stitch collection and patterns, because the back of the book has a large section on technique: all sorts of hints, explanations, and alternative approaches for working in crochet and even extensive how-to's on garment construction and pattern adaptation. The new edition leaves out all that useful information from an expert, even though it is the one thing in the old edition that could not easily be found elsewhere.
-- What a disappointment! I've been repeatedly checking out a library copy of the old book, 1987 or 1989. Now I'm going to buy a used copy while I can. This gorgeous but empty new edition is best suited for sharing the colors and shapes with a lap-child.
on June 2, 2010
I knit, I didn't know how to crochet except one simple stitch. This book explains and shows the stitches. The pictures are very clear. Indespensible for the knitter or the one who crochets. I feel confident that by using this book I can do any stitch the pattern calls for.

While I still prefer knitting, I love that now I feel confident to do some crochet!
on April 25, 2010
It is wonderful to have an encyclopedia of crochet stitches. I am an experienced knitter and have been wanting to try crochet. This book is very inspiring.