Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Voices From The Past - Puritan Devotional Readings Hardcover – December 1, 2009
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
- Item Weight : 1.4 pounds
- Hardcover : 428 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1848710488
- ISBN-13 : 978-1848710481
- Product Dimensions : 5.5 x 1.2 x 8.6 inches
- Publisher : Banner of Truth; Reprint Edition (December 1, 2009)
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #29,556 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. CHARACTER. The uniqueness and the excellence of the Puritan writings is that they are BOTH doctrinal and experimental. They are doctrinally rich yet also touch the heart and tender to the soul. In short, their writings are pastoral - always engaging the bruised, struggling, and fragile saints, to bind them up in the Lord's love. In this book, you will consistently see that. You will be revived, restored, and drawn to your Savior with more fervency, joy, and confidence.
2. CONTENT. The book covers various topics of Christian life, some of the them are: Affliction, Comfort, Christ (and His love), Blessings, Contentment, Death, Battle with sin, self, and Satan, Faith, Repentance, Prayer, Glory of God, Happiness, Holiness, Humility, Obedience, Promises, Providence, Salvation, Suffering, Temptation, and will of God. All these topics are the concerns of every believer, and now you will hear what the Puritans have said about them and you will find deep wisdom and call to trust in God's love and grace.
3. AUTHORS. The book covers various Puritans (about 23 authors), among them: Richard Baxter, Thomas Brooks, William Cooper, Jonathan Edwards, John Flavel, Thomas Manton, John Owen, Richard Sibbes, and Thomas Watson. These are amazing list of Puritans.
4. PHYSICAL MAKE UP OF THE BOOK. The book is handsomely bound in hardcover. It is Smyth-sewn (stitched and not glued) so it will last a long time. Pages are strong and prints are clear and dark. Dust Jacket is glossy and beautiful.
All in all, I love the book!!! Highly recommended!
And, no shallow "interpretations" of anecdotal chicken-soup stories at the end of each passage. JUST the passage and the Bible verse. I don't need modern writers to interpret the passages for me or put them in context. This stuff is pure gold.
Top reviews from other countries
The readings are transformative, and remind us of the theological depth to these oft-derided Christian theologians. Their writings are practical, pithy, entreating, and provide a useful meditation on the correlation between human experience and Scripture. If you were allowed two books on your desert island, this would be the other one.