Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 36 Volt Golf Cart Battery Charger for EZ-GO Powerwise by Schauer
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on February 10, 2010
UPDATE ON 2/18/2010: I went down to my garage this morning and there was a strange smell. I also heard the fan of this SCHAUER running, which it should not have been doing after a night of charging. When I went to the golf cart, the seat was very warm. As I lifted the seat to look at the battery, I saw all of them bubbling. I am not sure why it overcharged the batteries but I now use this as a back-up.

My original review:

I hate when ads use a name in the description that has nothing to do with a product. In this case, the title says "for EZ-GO Powerwise". This is just to get the attention of anyone who is looking to replace their Powerwise battery charger. This is a schauer. It is a generic charger and they provide a Powerwise plug adapter.

Why is it important? Well, the Powerwise is a 50 AMP charger while this is only a 20 AMP charger. So, the Powerwise charges much faster than this knock-off. Also, this is a digital charger while the Powerwise is not. This charger does not provide you any information on how much recharging is needed while the Powerwise has a meter that tells shows you how many amps the battery is taking. With the Powerwise, I can estimate how much time I can use a golf cart if I interrupt the charging process. With the schauer, I have no idea.

OK, now that I have done my ragging, I do have some positives. Despite this being inferior, it actually works. If you charge overnight, the extra time this takes to charge is meaningless, but the fact that it only uses 20 AMPS will help the battery life and allow it to plug into a busy socket. Hopefully, this won't break down, but so far it has worked fine.

Also, this battery charger is much lighter than a Powerwise so it is easy to carry and cheaper to ship.

So, back to ragging. This company does not ship to Hawaii or Alaska. Since I live in Hawaii, I had to get it shipped to a friend in California and they shipped it to me. This added time to the already slow delivery (regular group shipping by them). They can easily solve the problem by just shipping it to Hawaii and charge UPS or USPS prices, but they don't bother.
on May 7, 2013
A preffice to this review. I have made more than five hundred purchases on Amazon over the last three years and never run into a problem with a vender when asking for credit on an item...until now.

I bought this charger 13 months ago for use in the Fiji Islands. I purchased it because the price was reasonable and the charger was for 120 and 240 voltage. It performed well for several months, though the slower charger rate compared to the factory solid state chargers was a problem at times. Two months ago the charger stopped working and I wrote the seller about the unit. They said send it back and I dutifully packaged it up and spent the money to ship it all the way back to the USA from Fiji. Below is a our email communication, which speaks for itself.

Oh, and my name is Franz, not Frank.... and threats to customers is not good etiquette
Frank:
I received your battery charger today but did not include a telephone number for me to call therefore I will email you. The charger has rust outside and inside the charger which means this has been left out in weather and rain. I am sorry but this is not covered in warranty. If you have any questions, you may call me.

Ken Brewer
sales manager
Hello Ken,

The battery was installed in a covered shelter about 75 feet from my office. It was never in the open and was never rained on and sat right next to the other three solid state golf cart chargers that are many years older and longer in service and they are doing just fine.

Best regards,

Franz Weaver

as an addendum the environment here is semitropical and I do not think your chargers are build to handle this high of humidity level. I expect a replacement or a full refund. I already spend a bundle getting here to Fiji and back to you for warranty.

best regards,

Franz
Mr. Weaver:

I do apologize but we have sold this style charge for about 10 years and we sell maybe 20,000 units a year. We have only seen 5 or 6 chargers that had this much rust on it. Our warranty states that you cannot get the PC board wet. Any PC board whether it is in our charger or in your desk top computer cannot get wet. The board will short out. I am sorry but we cannot warranty this charger. If you wish to see the condition of the charger just give us a credit card to bill the freight and we will be glad to send it back to you.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
to Ken
And I have bought almost 1700 items on Ebay with a 100% rating. I never screw with my sellers and do not even write negative reviews when I am not happy with the service. I told you the 100% truth , and you still do not seem to believe me (I installed and kept track of that charger from new). So sorry, but I will have to write an honest but very negative review on Amazon, where I bought the charger, and will, if possible, be filing a complaint with Amazon..

Best regards,

Franz
Ken Brewer
to me
Sir:

Any false claims against us and we will take pictures of the charger and take legal action.

to Ken
thanks for that quote it will make for an effective quote in my review
on January 16, 2016
I've had this for about six months now and it has worked perfectly for my old EZ-Go. I live in Charleston,SC. In Oct 2015 my area received 21" of rain in 3 days. The charger was under water the entire time. STILL plugged in. afterwards I rinsed it with clean water, then dried it using a dehumidifier. It still works perfectly to this day. From my experience, I would recommend this charger.
on May 2, 2013
My new on stopped working within two years. I contacted the company -- they as me to send it to them at my expense. After receiving it they called to tell me it it would cost more to repair then a rebuilt one. I went the rebuilt .. after 2+ years, same problem.
on April 1, 2014
{ am not happy with it. This thing will not shut off after a charge. You have to manually unplug. It does not indicate if a charge is complete. This makes it very non reliable because you have to stop what your doing to attend to that task. I have had people look at it and they do not understand why it will not shut off. I had one battery explode on him while he was servicing my cart. One hundred dollars for a new battery.

Mike Lasco
on August 19, 2014
My charger just quit. It's always under cover but humidity is inevitable. Think I will just buy what I know- and ONLY THROUGH amazon itself since mine has rust ( very small amount) and I know it's under cover. Let's not mention the cost to ship back for return and here the dealer is asking for a credit card to ship back again? At what point does he become accountable towards some of this cost. Poor service if you ask me. I'm all set- moving on to something with better results!
on April 15, 2014
After many years my golf cart charger went out, This is a great replcement. Trust me, It doesn't get babyed, I live on a farm with a lot of dust and dirt, We get a full charge every time.
on September 11, 2015
Went up in smoke. Lasted almost 2 seasons. Not what I would call a long runner.
on April 21, 2016
Does not work. Total waste of money Would like a refund
on October 14, 2015
Everything hooked up and charged as it was suppose to