- Age Range: 4 - 8 years
- Grade Level: Preschool - 3
- Lexile Measure: 390L (What's this?)
- Hardcover: 40 pages
- Publisher: Kids Can Press; First Edition edition (April 1, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 155453822X
- ISBN-13: 978-1554538225
- Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 0.5 x 10.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 15.2 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (15 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #869,549 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Vote for Me! Hardcover – April 1, 2012
The Amazon Book Review
Discover what to read next through the Amazon Book Review. Learn more.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Talk about timely. For those poor kids whose TV rooms have been invaded by bickering presidential contenders comes this sarcastic (but painfully true) distillation of the nomination process. A blue donkey and red elephant take up residence on either side of each spread and make their cases to the reader. Well, make their cases is a bit generous. They pander (“Yes, YOU with the great hair and that dazzling smile”), brag (“I’m a SUPER CUTE elephant”), bribe (“if you vote for ME, I’ll give you a sucker”), and inflate their connection to the voter (“I know your friend’s mother’s aunt’s gym teacher’s pastor’s duck-billed platypus. So, we’re practically FAMILY”). Eventually, they go negative and sling mud—literally—while a tiny mouse, seen scurrying in the corners, walks away with the election as an independent. Obviously adults are going to get a kick out of this, but the Mo Willems–like presentation, clever coloring (when the candidates make up, the background becomes purple), and universal anti-arguing message will tickle future politicos, too. Grades K-2. --Daniel Kraus
An ever-timely message, told in (two) primary colors.―Kirkus Reviews
Readers too young to vote will still recognize the pitfalls of bad behavior in this satire of unsavory political practices.―School Library Journal
Obviously adults are going to get a kick out of this, but the Mo Willems-like presentation, clever coloring (when the candidates make up, the background becomes purple), and universal anti-arguing message will tickle future politicos, too.―Booklist
For children getting their first taste of presidential politics in 2012, this is a worthwhile testimony to the current state of political discourse.―Publisher's Weekly
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Here you have Donkey and Elephant fighting for your vote. Donkey wants you to vote for him because he's number one! *With the disclaimer that "97% of sheep agree that Donkey is #1. (The other 3% are the black sheep of their families.)" Of course Elephant doesn't completely agree with that statement. After some back and forth banter, some slandering and some name calling, they work it out. There still needs to be a winner though, and that one might surprise you!
The book was hilarious. I mean, it has the word "redonkulously" in it! It is so funny to see the political animals fighting and acting like small children. There are so many cute little sayings to pick up on, such as talking about the "elephant in the room." I think this book could be worked into a 2nd-4th grade classroom to help introduce elections. It would also be a good gift to give someone who was running for office.
The book is written for ages 4+, or more specifically, 4-7. Unfortunately, I don't think any child in the age range will understand this book. Sure, some might laugh about the name calling, but even a lot of that would go over their heads. Some parents would get upset to have their kids repeating some of the names, such as "dim-witted dolt."
So, cute and simple illustrations, hilarious way to portray political parties, good story to tell older kids to introduce some election concepts, not good for the age range it was made for. The humor and pictures keep it at 4 stars instead of 3.
Children will enjoy the pictures and the witty banter between the two animals. The book is easy to read. Parents can use this book to help explain to their children what they are seeing on the TV in the commercials that go on during an election year.
I highly recommend this book. Very good!
This is a great choice for audiences of all ages. (Reminded me of Mo Willems or Lane Smith's "It's a Book.") It is not partisan and will surely bring a smile during this tough election season! :-)
Read more of my reviews: