Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Voting and Holiness: Catholic Perspectives on Political Participation Paperback – January 2, 2012
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
My central concern is that this book is --- without openly admitting it --- Obama campaign literature.
In their respective chapters,
* Lisa Sowle Cahill opposes the protection of human rights for the unborn as an electoral priority;
* William D'Antonio argues against the bishops' efforts to support pro-life and pro- religious liberty legislation;
* Richard Gaillardetz asserts that Catholic can vote for candidates who support abortion, so long as their policies align with the common good.
* M. Cathleen Caveney argues that intrinsically evil acts may not be gravely evil;
* Bryan Massingale deplores the bishops' comparison of abortion with slavery, since--- he claims--- the "personhood" of slaves and unborn babies was not historically, and is not now, the relevant issue.
* Vincent Miller urges Catholics can "pursue the common good" while accepting cooperation with evil;
* Maureen O'Connell sees it as "antiquated Catholic theology" to focus upon personal salvation, prohibitive admonition, and avoidance of evil;
* Stephen Schneck --- the co-chair of "Catholics for Obama"--- opposes Abp Charles Chaput's call for the indivisibility of Catholic truth in the public square.
The promotion of the "Catholics for Obama" perspective ---like an election-year promotion planted by, say, the Romney/Ryan team --- shows poor judgment on the part of Paulist Press.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Voting and Holiness, edited by Nicholas P. Cafardi, is a compilation of essays which make it an excellent resource book to explore major moral issues which currently impact... Read morePublished on October 11, 2012 by Patricia McCann
"When he listens to his conscience, the prudent man can hear God speaking." - Catechism of the Catholic Church
Nicholas Cafardi is a thoughtful and brilliant man who has... Read more
Nicholas P. Cafardi's Voting and Holiness offers Catholic voters chapters by some of the country's most respected Catholic authors on why, in keeping with the criteria set out in... Read morePublished on October 10, 2012 by Edward T. Brett