Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

12,797
Voyager: A Novel (Outlander)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Sweet christ. I cursed more in this book than I have in any of the others, but this is also my favorite of the series so far. I don’t know why I get so angry with the characters when I KNOW that I’m just going to let them crawl back into my heart and do it all over again. I mean for f@#k's sake. JAMIE. Remember in the last book when I was so pissed at Claire I couldn’t see straight? Oh. Well, now it’s Jamie’s turn.

Until approximately 27% into this book I was really angry. AND THEN. The perfect scene happened. And it was like the rain fell lightly overnight, cooling the heat that was smothering me and I could finally breathe again. I spontaneously orgasmed. My heart burst from my chest. And all was right with the world.

We know from the blurb that Claire goes back in time to find Jamie now that she knows he’s alive – but twenty years have passed. TWENTY YEARS. Anything could have happened in those twenty years, and gahhhh, so much does. Can Claire accept the Jamie that he is now as opposed to the one that she remembers so long ago? It’s clear from the immediate reunion that they both burn for each other. The hot kisses and the firm grip of their love is undeniable to anyone who sees them. But as the truth unravels – as the secrets Jamie keeps start to spill out – can Claire forgive him? CAN I FORGIVE HIM?

There is a ton of angst, kidnapping, arson, prison, murder, glorious sex, shipwrecks, and even the return of a character that I never thought I’d see again. At one point I skipped through my kitchen and squealed while my husband gave me side eye and shook his head. At another point I had silent tears streaming down my face as a piece of my heart broke off.

This series is exceptional. Yes, it’s effing long. Yes, Diana knows it. She actually makes fun of herself a little bit about the length of her books in this one and I found that refreshing. In all reality, this book is like 4 in one. There’s a lot packed into these pages that will keep you up at night and have you thinking about it during the day.I dreamed about this book, twining it into my sleep as well as my days. This book, like the others, is written extremely well. The attention to detail is outstanding and Diana knows just how far she can push you before you need a reprieve, and then she reels you back in with Jamie & Claire. Always Jamie & Claire.

The secrets are forgivable, the passion is real, and the journey is unforgettable. 5 Stars! On to Drums Of Autumn!
44 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 4, 2017
Pro's:
Love this series. Originally, enthralled in the Scottish storyline and romantic adventure of Claire Randall (book one). DofA shocked me (in a good way) because it traces my family's real history, migrating from London England to North Carolina in 1768. I've been doing genealogy for 40 years and know quite a bit of North Carolina history. My 8xGrandfather was a mountain man (clearing land of wolves for farmers, fought in the Revolutionary War as a NC Regular (can't wait to read Fiery Cross to compare notes. Gabaldon has her good points, most (if not all) of the history is correct and accurate, if letting me wanting for more (details).

Loved the hilarious initial interaction between Roger and Jamie. Demonstrated Jamie's impetuousness and Rogers stubborn resolve (God bless him) - ?irresistable force meets immovable object?

Con's: Some of the storyline is shallow and not detailed enough. e.g. European settlers relationship with the Indians, Plantation owners' struggle for survival (could not do it without significant labor - I'm excluding the issue of slavery which was a travesty) and the politics of the area (NC vs SC, VA etc). Governor Tryon was a man of his time; a progeny of English culture; an innovator, pioneer, statesman, deal maker and evangelist - every hero has his faults. I wish Gabaldon had covered more of the backstories of the important issues of the time and related it back to Jamie and Claire's story. I also had wished a littel more detail on how Jamie managed to build their first cabin, farmed his first crop and other survival strategies for their given situation.

Gabaldon also struggles at time, in making some of the relationships in the story plausible or realistic. Sometimes it's character development to explain the character's decision making process and sometimes it' a backstory in the development of the relationship. Roger/Brianna's meeting in New Bern was too shallow (my opinion); Ian's relationship with the Indian's required (I would have liked) more development and backstory; Fergus and Marsali's relationship is really skimmed over in this book.

Overall, love these books (all the more because of my personal connection with the place and time) and look forward to reading the next.
on September 3, 2017
I never thought I'd be the kind of person who would get swept up in a series of thousand-page epic fantasy adventure book, but here I am having finished book #4, mad that I have to wait a couple of days until the next installment arrives in the mail. I spoiled myself a little for Drums of Autumn, not so much on its contents, but I became aware that many fans consider this to be one of their least favorites, and one of the slowest of the books. So I went into it with a bit of a bias that I have to say was happily proven incorrect. For me, this book almost lived up to Voyager, and was miles above Dragonfly in Amber.

Not going to lie, for me one of my favorite elements of the series will always be the Highlands, and I'm still disappointed we didn't get more time there. I assumed I didn't love DiA as much as the others because the setting moved from Scotland to France. But that wasn't it, because the move to the American colonies I had been dreading wound up working well. I think what went wrong with DiA was the remake of Jamie into kind of a dandy, trying to fit in with the silly French noble class. Jamie just doesn't make sense to me as a character outside of a rugged setting with a battle to fight. I worried I wouldn't enjoy the expanding cast of characters, or the shift in focus outside the Jamie/Claire dynamic, but it wasn't as clumsy as I'd feared. That said, I like both Brianna and Roger a little less after this book. In large doses, they are both super annoying. But I could read about Ian (and Rollo!) and Lord John all day.

I didn't think the plot was slow. In fact, it gets a little old for me when Jamie and Claire have to escape death every 20 pages. But there was still a lot of story movement here. Enough to make it a page turner for me, for sure.
on June 7, 2017
As a blogger, when you have to read on a schedule... you never really have a spare 40+ hours to re-read an audiobook at your whim. But I felt compelled to do just that this month. Last week, I tackled Dragonfly in Amber so I could finally watch Season 2 of Outlander on Starz. I had planned to save Voyager to re-read when Season 3 comes out this Fall... but I just couldn't. Some of my favorite events of the series happen in this book, so I was impelled to continue on ahead of schedule.

This book again starts out on Culloden field on April 16, 1746. We spend some time with Jamie, learning what his life has been like during the twenty years since he was with Claire. There are a few time jumps to 1968 in both Inverness, where the hunt for Jamie has begun in earnest, and then to Boston with Claire wrapping up her life there in preparation for the day that Roger Wakefield finds Jamie in historical records. This will cover the time when Claire lost Frank, and also some tidbits of her professional life with dear friend Joe Abernathy. Keep an eye out for Claire's examination of skeletal remains (to which you, the reader, should also pay close attention). But then word comes from Roger and, finally, its time.

Sigh. The reuniting of Jamie and Claire. It's one of my absolutely favorite moments of the series, and the driving force behind why I was driven to listen to this story ahead of schedule. While Gabaldon didn't make a huge production of the event in the writing... all the feels come from the time you have lived and breathed this story along with Jamie and Claire. You know what they mean to one another. You cried when they were separated, and your heart hurt for the twenty years they were apart. So every time I have read this series, my anticipation builds and builds and builds for this moment. All through Dragonfly in Amber, you are just waiting for her to go back. I remember the first time I read these books that I was so disappointed that she didn't go back in the second book. I can't imagine how impatient I would have been if I had read Dragonfly in Amber before Voyager was published, and had to wait two whole years to get to that moment. Gah - it makes me anxious just thinking about it!

Once our duo is back together, Gabaldon hits the ground running and the story takes off at a steady clip that will put you through the ringer. Voyager spans continents and oceans, and fate seems to be against Jamie and Claire at every turn. There are so many freaking highs and lows in this book that you will feel exhausted at times. And I can't talk about any of the major plot conflicts without giving spoilers! I swear its so hard to write a review for a book that you have read so often because you just want to talk about all your favorite things... but you can't because you don't want to spoil that very special first experience for the random reader.

We get to revisit with some of our favorite characters from the past, some of whom we never expected to see again. We meet new and interesting secondary characters, some of which will endure far into the future of this series. I liked spending some time with Jamie's sister, Jenny, and her husband, Ian. They have a huge family containing both children and grandchildren now, and I was so happy they survived the trying times following the failed rising. That being said, I wasn't happy with many of Jenny's actions in this story.

Then you have Jenny's son Ian, with whom I share something in common. A little black cloud. Ian is the type of person to whom things just happen through no fault of his own... and I could definitely relate. And because Claire has a little of that same phenomena going on - putting them together is a recipe for disaster. Much of this story involves crazy things happening to Ian or Claire... and Jamie dealing with the fallout.

Again, Davina Porter does a fabulous job narrating this story/series. I am continually impressed by her ability to give the multitude of characters their own unique voice, and she has no problem (to my ignorant ear) changing accents and dialects.

And now you know what I've done? You guessed it. I started Drums of Autumn as soon as Voyager concluded. DofA has another one of my favorite moments of the series and I just really want to hear it! It also has some of the most gut-wrenching moments of the series, and those fill me with dread. So stay tuned for that review, coming soon.
on January 2, 2017
I enjoy the Outlander series, but this book, like its predecessors, is very, very long. The general storyline is good, we get to see a bit of what has happened after Claire has returned to her own time and the series of events following. But, like I said previously, it's a lot of book, and not one meant for easy, quick reading. I wish the author would cut back on some of the drama, as it seems like a constant series of unfortunate events. If you enjoyed the previous books, you'll enjoy this one too, but it did taker longer to than the first two.
Diana Gabaldon is one of the most long winded writers I have read. The problem is that this book wasn't very good. Brianna gets to be a bratty, clueless person who I really learned to dislike. She is so much less than her mother. Even Jamie Fraser is different. His callous treatment of Roger went against his code of honor. Ian (the nephew)is a pest before and after they find him. If this had been the first book of the series, I would have stopped here and the tv show would never have been made. I will have to reevaluate whether I am going to finish reading the series or just watch the show from now on.
Nothing I'm going to say should deter you from choosing to read Drums of Autumn, the fourth book in the Outlander series. However, because Amazon tends to want readers to review, I am going to mention some elements of this book that gave me pause and kept it from being perfect. Overall, the book is as well written, researched and detailed as the previous three and worth the time I invested it it, but for me this one is not as thrilling and at times, felt ponderous. I plan to read the fifth book, but I am approaching it with the trepidatious fear of a decline in the overall quality of the series.

******************************************************SPOILERS**********************************************************

This book centers on the relationship between Claire's and Jamies' daughter, Brianna and Roger McKenzie Wakefield a historian and friend to Claire and Bree. They are two throughly modern young people in their early to late 20s. Both time travel to the mid-18th Century, Bree in search of her mother and father, Roger in search of Bree. I found it easier to accept Claire's initial time travel and subsequent return because both her generational upbringing ( England in the 20s and 30s) and her marriage to a scholarly historian would give her just a bit if a leg up on making the transition. Bree, on the other hand is a child of the 50s and 60s. She's been brought up in America and retains her fairly modern speech patterns and many of the idioms. Those idiosyncrasies don't seem to cause much if a stir among the strangers that she meets. It's not a huge thing, but it did notice it.

My second and somewhat larger complaint lay in Bree's Olympic quality conclusion jumping. She and Roger become married by hand fasting and consummate their relationship. Two days later she is raped by a pirate. Upon finding herself pregnant she is immediately convinced that it is the child of the pirate. Much of the relationship angst between her and Roger revolves around that assumption. I found it a bit drawn out and contrived, but then many of Bree's actions and attitudes fell into that category for me. Bottom line, I found Bree to be impulsive, headstrong and a bit of a pain in the backside.

The best thing Ms. Galbadon does is to write characters who are very, very human. In other words, flawed. I am giving Ms. Galbadon the benefit of the doubt that that was her thinking behind the writing of Bree's character.

My last concern centers on a scene with Claire as she performs inguinal hernia surgery on a man in the midst of a dinner party. Even in the barbaric American colonies, a woman performing surgery in the region of a man's testicles in the midst of a dinner party strains credulity. The fact that this surgery was witnessed almost without comment by the dinner guests breaks it completely. It was a well written scene, but I just couldn't "buy it."

I've enjoyed these books up to this point. Fingers crossed that the author's imagination doesn't stray too far in to the realm of incredulity in the next books.
on January 18, 2018
I have only begun o really delve into this book series and became interested in this series well before the awesome television show. This series of books are works of historical fiction, that being said, they can be a tedious read as the author goes into great detail to explain the era, the people ​and the traditions from the places she chooses to take you. I thoroughly enjoy her level of detail because it paints a realistic story with living, breathing characters. It is a love story, above all, and it will make you weep, become angry, frustrated and feel the passion the entire way through. I love the journey The Outlander Series has taken me on and without giving away much detail I have to say the twists in this one were long coming. :-)
on May 9, 2016
I am loving this story. The characters are so vivid and real one cannot help falling in love with each one. Claire and Jamie are tossed from one storm of life to another which depicts just about everyone I know. The descriptions of country, dress, government & life in general are so real you feel like you can actually see each item. I can't wait to start the fourth! Please keep writing!
review image
on August 26, 2015
Drums of Autumn is the 4th book in the series. This is the fourth in a series of what has been, until now, exceptionally well written time travel, adventure/romance books by the author. James and Claire both agreed that there was no possibility to build a life for themselves in Scotland. The clans had been forced to disband, the people were starving and living in abject poverty, most of the men were dead, crippled, imprisoned and or jobless as a result of the doomed Jacobite uprising. The Frasers along with a few friends and James' nephew, Ian, cross the Atlantic and make their way to North Carolina where Jamie's aunt has a plantation. At the same parallel time, 20th century Brianna and her beloved Scottish boyfriend Roger discover some terrifying information about Claire's and Jamie's fate. Brianna is determined to reach her parents somehow and warn them of coming events, hoping to change the future. The inevitability of these events and the frustration and inability to change the future continue to be strong themes. Diana leaves us wanting more in every book. I find myself not able to put any of her books down until I have read the last page. I have spent many of late nights reading.